Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
Poison Ivy
Starter Motor

Default Dating 2006 - A girls view

I’ve been lurking around this site for ages but felt the need to sign up & post what my thoughts are in regards to dating in 2006 for us ladies, considering the majority of the population of this site are males, I’d like to know what you think about the following.

I’ve been on a few dates recently & I must say, I’m pretty disappointed about the effort or lack there of that is displayed by men these days.

I’m a single woman who is in her mid 20’s, I have a good job, a nice car, great friends & family, I have a stable job & I’m honest & upfront, I have no baggage & a great sense of humor but yet I find it harder & harder to meet a guy who wants to put in the effort to get to know me before he starts thinking below the belt.

What has happened to the days when guys asked girls out? When a guy picks a girl up from her house & drops her off without expecting something else? Are these days dead? What has happened to dating?

I think it would be nice for a guy to put some effort in. And when I say effort I mean, nice clean clothes, a shave, aftershave or cologne, deodorant (this should not be an effort but surprisingly to some it is). Is this asking too much? I don’t think so because I’m sure if a girl turned up to a date without any deodorant on the guy would be doing a runner in no time.

I’ve also noticed a rapid decrease in guys having the guts to ask a girl out, who gives a rats if you get rejected, at least you’re giving it a go, 9 times out of 10 I’m sure the girl will be flattered & say yes. If it doesn’t work out, don’t dismiss the girl, she might have a friend who is ideal for you. I have set up many friends, that have turned into long term relationships or marriages but if a guy acts like a jerk or treats me disrespectfully there’s no way I’d want to set him up with someone else.

So single guys out there, please shed some light on what your thoughts are on what I’ve said, because I’m rapidly starting to think that there are no decent single gentlemen out there anymore. And before anyone says I’m after a metrosexual, no that is not what I want, I just want a guy who thinks that its worth a little extra effort to impress a girl.

Old 03-07-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
ziggee

Great Great Question....

My opinion is
(1) I'd pick you up and drop you off.!!!! and have a shave and wear deo... 100%
(hows this friday sound)

Old 03-07-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison Ivy
9 times out of 10 I’m sure the girl will be flattered & say yes.
When you look like me, it's the absolute opposite...
Old 03-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yeh I dunno.

Sounds like you would be an easy girl to please (aftershave/good presentation) lol.

Most of the decent chicks i know are already happily taken, which is fair enough, those who arent are usually too sky high for me!
Old 03-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #5
Poison Ivy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_SE_Ute
When you look like me, it's the absolute opposite...
I think thats a little harsh on yourself.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:41 PM   #6
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

If I was single man again, I would definitely try to be that kind of guy. I would prefer to impress as first impressions last. I think its pure galantry if you can show a girl your worth and let them know there is whole lot more to you than what you can provide sexually! Thats just opinion though.

*shav puts flame suit on*

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 03-07-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
Poison Ivy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Yeh I dunno.

Sounds like you would be an easy girl to please (aftershave/good presentation) lol.

Most of the decent chicks i know are already happily taken, which is fair enough, those who arent are usually too sky high for me!
If thats easy to please then why don't guys put the effort in to do it?

I know a lot of decent women who are not taken who are what I guess you'd call the girl next door types.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:45 PM   #8
Poison Ivy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
If I was single man again, I would definitely try to be that kind of guy. I would prefer to impress as first impressions last. I think its pure galantry if you can show a girl your worth and let them know there is whole lot more to you than what you can provide sexually! Thats just opinion though.

*shav puts flame suit on*
You shouldn't have to put a flame suit on, a guy should try and impress a women just as a woman should try and impress a man...it works 2 ways, unfortunately lately it seems its just a one way street.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:46 PM   #9
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Poison Ivy it is hard to 'date' now and it is getting harder and harder to find a guy that is interested in you as a person and not what you can do for him etc.

I too had been on heaps of dates this year and most of them are simply out to get you in the sack....I could tell you some horror dating stories but then I don't think I want to relive them :evil_laug

I thought it was hard simply because being a single parent and mid 30s so it is kind of nice to know maybe its the same for those that are in their 20s too.. I don't mean that in a nasty way either...

Don't give up hope that you will find a nice guy.. It will happen eventually.

Kenny there is nothing wrong with the way you look..... Don't be so silly..
Old 03-07-2006, 04:48 PM   #10
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

so whats your address ?? im up for a date.

in all seriousness ,i do all of that ,and always seem to come out second best ,i usually find all the decent chicks these days go for the drugo/bad boy image,most of the girls i know are all like this.they treat them like **** drive around in **** box's and generaly couldnt dress them selfs to get a job a macc'as let along a decent job.ive asked a few girls out and always seem to end up the same.they either dont call back or say they like someone else.so yeah once you have been rejected a few times it does get to you .so yeah thats my 2c .
nice guys always finish last

so what time do you want to be picked up... :-)
TUNED BY JEM
Old 03-07-2006, 04:48 PM   #11
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

I totally understand your frustration there, however you will also find from a mans prospective, that many of the women available or out there looking for a decent type of man, are up against the likes of the women on Big Brother currently, so why go to so much effort when you can get a quick 1-4 night relationship as easy as the women on the show, like others if I was single again, I would most certainly look at getting to know the person I was courting prior to thinking about any of the hanky panky stuff..

Craig
Old 03-07-2006, 04:48 PM   #12
XRchic
Hello

For the girl, buy a Ford, get on a Ford site, talk about Fords with all the guys, go racing with them and BINGO!

Worked for me! Hehe.

Youre halfway there already Poison Ivy!

Jac

: Cobra :
Old 03-07-2006, 04:50 PM   #13
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
I think thats a little harsh on yourself.
Yeah Kenny... I'd do ya, if you wore deodorant and picked me up and dropped me off...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
Old 03-07-2006, 04:56 PM   #14
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
I think it would be nice for a guy to put some effort in. And when I say effort I mean, nice clean clothes, a shave, aftershave or cologne, deodorant (this should not be an effort but surprisingly to some it is). Is this asking too much? I don’t think so because I’m sure if a girl turned up to a date without any deodorant on the guy would be doing a runner in no time.
If a guy can't be bothered doing any of that, he's not worthy anyway.

Quote:
I’ve also noticed a rapid decrease in guys having the guts to ask a girl out, who gives a rats if you get rejected, at least you’re giving it a go, 9 times out of 10 I’m sure the girl will be flattered & say yes. If it doesn’t work out, don’t dismiss the girl, she might have a friend who is ideal for you. I have set up many friends, that have turned into long term relationships or marriages but if a guy acts like a jerk or treats me disrespectfully there’s no way I’d want to set him up with someone else.
I think that's 9/10 they'll be flattered and say no. Do you know how hard it actually is to work yourself up to ask a girl out (approach her in person, with friends around, not sms or through mutual friends etc), and then have her say no? (not just random girls at pubs/clubs etc) Definately takes awhile before the guy approaches another girl.
It's a bit unnerving tho, when you ask a girl out, she says no, and says "hey this is ra ra"... no offence but I came to speak to you, not her.
I agree with the jerk comment as well, whether a girl says yes or no, take it on the chin and move on. She's sure to have friends or know people who know people who could know you & If you've shown you can approach a girl, be confident with yourself and her answer then other girls *should* think better of you.

Quote:
So single guys out there, please shed some light on what your thoughts are
As above, girls make it hard, guys don't help it either.
I've noticed most of my female friends are either older & it's friendship only, or they're not single and have been that way for sometime. It takes away the tension and makes them so much easier to speak to openly like a "mate"
Old 03-07-2006, 04:57 PM   #15
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

Whatever happened to opening a door for a lady, or pulling out her chair for her to have a seat??? Thats something I haven't seen someone do for a long while...
Common courtesy.... It has gone missing somewhere let me tell you...
I am a bloke's bloke. But I still know how a woman should be treated while on a date.
Obviously too many blokes think too much with their wedding tackle.... I went out with my current girlfriend for nearly 9 months before anything happened below the belt.
We might just be different, I don't know! But it was not something we needed to rush into, we were happy going along with the relationship as it was!
We have been together now for 3 years, and I plan on marrying her in the near future!
Thats my $3.50 worth.

Welcome to the Forums too Poison Ivy!
Old 03-07-2006, 04:58 PM   #16
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
You shouldn't have to put a flame suit on, a guy should try and impress a women just as a woman should try and impress a man...it works 2 ways, unfortunately lately it seems its just a one way street.
That is true, but its like what EDMONTY has just said, nice guys generally finish last.

There are a lot of nice guys out there, it depends on where you meet, how you meet and the circumstances that will usually initiate whether you will end up on a good date. Not all the time, but generally most times. :newangel:

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 03-07-2006, 05:01 PM   #17
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darran
Whatever happened to opening a door for a lady, or pulling out her chair for her to have a seat??? Thats something I haven't seen someone do for a long while...
Common courtesy.... It has gone missing somewhere let me tell you...
I am a bloke's bloke. But I still know how a woman should be treated while on a date.
Obviously too many blokes think too much with their wedding tackle.... I went out with my current girlfriend for nearly 9 months before anything happened below the belt.
We might just be different, I don't know! But it was not something we needed to rush into, we were happy going along with the relationship as it was!
We have been together now for 3 years, and I plan on marrying her in the near future!
Thats my $3.50 worth.

Welcome to the Forums too Poison Ivy!
I married my girlfriend, now wife before we did anything below the belt. We went out for 3 years. You have no need to feel weird, I know where your coming from.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 03-07-2006, 05:05 PM   #18
Poison Ivy
Starter Motor

I think you'll find that nice guys don't finish last. I know at least 4 women who would be more than happy with a nice guy! Who wants a drugged up jerk who treats you like dirt?!? Not any of us!

Its just as hard for a girl to ask a guy out, so I know what you're talking about FordFan.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:06 PM   #19
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I married my girlfriend, now wife before we did anything below the belt. We went out for 3 years. You have no need to feel weird, I know where your coming from.
Good stuff! :
Old 03-07-2006, 05:08 PM   #20
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

you would be surprised how many there are ,nice looking girls hanging out with the biggest loser's ,one being my best friend,do you think she has any interest in me .HELL NO !!!

it's not as hard got chicks to ask guys out i think because 8/10 times the guy will say yes .a guy asking a girl out you might get 2 of them saying yes .
TUNED BY JEM
Old 03-07-2006, 05:09 PM   #21
MR_SIDO
you'd be popular too.....

This thread is going to get steamy.......
Old 03-07-2006, 05:10 PM   #22
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Who wants a drugged up jerk who treats you like dirt?!? Not any of us!

Its just as hard for a girl to ask a guy out, so I know what you're talking about FordFan.
Exactly on all points... :

sadly some guys portray themselves as nice and then you realise they are total jerks (after its a bit late type of thing).. :
Old 03-07-2006, 05:18 PM   #23
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Poison Ivy, you make some good points, most young blokes i know ask girls out by texting them to avoid embarrassment, chivalry is not dead, but does seem to be fading in the new generation.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:19 PM   #24
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDMONTY
in all seriousness ,i do all of that ,and always seem to come out second best ,i usually find all the decent chicks these days go for the drugo/bad boy image,most of the girls i know are all like this.they treat them like **** drive around in **** box's and generaly couldnt dress them selfs to get a job a macc'as let along a decent job.ive asked a few girls out and always seem to end up the same.they either dont call back or say they like someone else.so yeah once you have been rejected a few times it does get to you .so yeah thats my 2c .
nice guys always finish last
At least I'm not the only one who's noticed this.
:
Old 03-07-2006, 05:21 PM   #25
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

I gave up rather quickly with the "Meat Markets" (aka pubs and clubs)

When you stand out in a crowd like I do women run in the oposite direction.
(6 foot 7ish and 120+ Kgs)

In the end I got sick of being laughed @ and put down by these girls that felt that
I was below their levels. (standards)

I gave the internet dating a go. Worked great for me.
Girls got to know me, understand me and what not before we met.
I got to woo them and show them that SOME blokes are still bought up the right way.
Yes, photos were exchanged after we had been chatting for a while, so no one was walking in to something they couldn't see.

I was lucky enough to meet a couple of great ladies on Lavalife- RSVP & Yahoo Personals.
Some I still chat to from time to time.... I even had a couple willingly "waiting" incase the relationship I was in didn't workout or last.
(not bad I thought.... for a "fat pr*ck" as some of the nightclub girls used to call me)
There are a few "weirdos" on there... that is for sure but they are not hard to spot.
Internet dating can work.... it did for me, got hitched to one in Feb this year.

Poison Ivy - What you are "looking" for is not over the top or unreasonable. (ie: Clean, neat & tidy)
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
Old 03-07-2006, 05:24 PM   #26
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
Kenny there is nothing wrong with the way you look..... Don't be so silly..
I suppose... but I'm going to be wary of old mate Nick now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Yeah Kenny... I'd do ya, if you wore deodorant and picked me up and dropped me off...
Anyway, up here on the Shunshine Coast, females are far too high maintenance, bought up on the OC wave and expect guys to look like the morons on Big Brother.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #27
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
I gave up rather quickly with the "Meat Markets" (aka pubs and clubs)

When you stand out in a crowd like I do women run in the oposite direction.
(6 foot 7ish and 120+ Kgs)

In the end I got sick of being laughed @ and put down by these girls that felt that
I was below their levels. (standards)
I found a lot of girls were way too quick to judge me on my looks, instead of everything else! : Just cause I didn't look like Gaelan from Big Brother : .
I was always getting the "You're like a brother to me" crap. :gren:
You're dead right though, I am also 6foot something and 120 odd kg...
Had no success at the meat market either. Met my missus while at a Deb ball partnering another girl. And it has progressed from there.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:28 PM   #28
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DJL351, i know exactly how you feel!!
i find that being a nice guy has ALWAYS landed me as 'just a friend' and nothing more. i am not vain by a long shot, but i do take pride in my appearance. i only do this to make me feel good about myself, and not becuase i am out to show off or anything. but i do find that being physically attractive helps a fair bit, as i do fall a bit short in that department. i have been told that i have too much respect for women, if there is such a thing, and that is why i can never get out of the 'friend zone'. i just found that being nice got me walked all over is all.....
i have a pretty good job in the city, i am always cutious, i try and find out about who a woman is before anything else, but unfortunatly because of my looks i hardly get the chance to show who i really am
Old 03-07-2006, 05:36 PM   #29
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
DJL351, i know exactly how you feel!!
i find that being a nice guy has ALWAYS landed me as 'just a friend' and nothing more. i am not vain by a long shot, but i do take pride in my appearance. i only do this to make me feel good about myself, and not becuase i am out to show off or anything. but i do find that being physically attractive helps a fair bit, as i do fall a bit short in that department. i have been told that i have too much respect for women, if there is such a thing, and that is why i can never get out of the 'friend zone'. i just found that being nice got me walked all over is all.....
i have a pretty good job in the city, i am always cutious, i try and find out about who a woman is before anything else, but unfortunatly because of my looks i hardly get the chance to show who i really am
Yes.... the "Friend".... the shoulder to cry on when the newest BF kicks her in the guts.
Then you do the right thing, help her all that jazz only to be told "why aren't all guys like you?" or "I wish I could find someone like you!" : I'm standing in front of you!
Or watching her go back to the same clown that slept with her best friend... but he "has changed".
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
Old 03-07-2006, 05:44 PM   #30
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

^ exactly ,hate it hate it hate it ARRRRHHHH !!!!
TUNED BY JEM
Closed Thread