Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-08-2005, 03:32 PM   #1
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Default It rained in Brisbane last night... time for a little rant...

We had some rain here in Brisbane last night, and of course driving in the rain makes life a little more challenging for the driver. You’ve got a couple of new things to take care of, like switching on your wipers, perhaps turning on your lights if the need calls for it. But as is usually the case with me, I have issues with driving in the rain. More specifically, with road users who, by choice or otherwise, are out there on the roads with me.

My first issue is the white lines on the road. Why do they disappear at the first sign of moisture? Is this just me, or do they really vanish? Having come from the UK, I’m used to driving in the rain and I can honestly, categorically tell you that the white lines marking the centre of the road are still visible on the A10 coming out of London when it’s bucketing down at 15.4 cubic litres per second. If I could see out of the front of my car, I could see the lines. Why not here?

My second issue is perhaps more troubling – why do people think that when it rains it’s the ideal time to see test the adhesion limits of their tyres? I’m not even talking about those drivers that spin wheels wherever possible, or indeed those whose cars only break traction in the wet so they relish the opportunity when it’s time for wading boots. No, I refer to drivers who seemingly refuse to acknowledge the fact that driving in the wet presents a few more hazards, and so they drive as though the roads were bone dry. To the gentleman in the Lexus LX470 with the rego plates OUR470 who I have had follow me in the rain a few times on the way to work, please take a bow, because this is aimed at people like you.

Granted, we have far more sunny and dry days here in Australia (especially Queensland) than in the UK. But I still don’t get it. I was passed by aforementioned idiot the other week, going way too fast for the wet conditions. Did he know that if he had to slam the brakes on in a hurry, no amount of electronic ABS gadgetry would stop him from crashing into something or worse, getting someone killed? And for what? A few minutes shaved off your journey time? It sickens me that some people can be so selfish. Don’t they realise how bloody irresponsible they’re being? They’re not even 17 year olds out in Dad’s XR6 – these types of driver are as varied as they are plentiful.

You can’t argue with the laws of physics, guys. Your car will not grip the road in the wet as it would in the dry. Do you actually enjoy the sensation of your tyres aquaplaning over the bitumen? Do you like having these "moments" where your car is technically out of control? I have experienced aquaplaning at high speed once that I can remember clearly, and I was so shaken by the experience that I drove the rest of my journey as though my octogenarian grandmother was in the passenger seat and would threaten to hit me with her handbag if I so much as thought about blinking in an inappropriate manner.

All it takes is a little more caution, a little more forward planning and above all, a gentle right foot. Yet so many people seem incapable of grasping this relatively simple principle. This morning, I witnessed a 3 car pile-up on Milton Road, again caused by someone driving too fast and then losing control in the wet when it came time to slow down. I can say this because I saw them hit each other.

To those that relish the opportunity to drive their vehicles as though they had unlimited grip and nerve, seek your thrills elsewhere, please.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 03:51 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Very well said. I have been making the same arguements for years.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

aaah mighty Brisbane. a city full of rednecks with the driving mentality of a Sydney taxi driver.
i'll be visiting that fair metropolis next week for my annual fix of road rage :
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 04:07 PM   #4
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I cant believe the people who still do 100km/h in an 80 zone in the pouring rain in PEAK HOUR TRAFFIC!!! Add a red light camera into the mix and it just becomes REALLY dangerous considering the amount of people who cant stop in the dry in time.

Bad enough in fine conditions but in rain it just plain stupid.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 04:14 PM   #5
neb
hibernating

I wish I lived in Brisbane. Everyone in Melbourne seems to drive 20kms under the speed limit when it rains which drives me crazy.
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 04:16 PM   #6
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Reminds me of this morning...

Ute + LSD + Wet Road = I wish I had brown dacks on...
Old 31-08-2005, 04:18 PM   #7
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

thats brisbane for you, i was out last night and found my tyres perform bloody excellent under wet conditions!! i love maxxis tyres......lol still wouldn't spin though :

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 04:24 PM   #8
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb
I wish I lived in Brisbane. Everyone in Melbourne seems to drive 20kms under the speed limit when it rains which drives me crazy.
No you dont. I spent 10 years in Qld and its a known fact that the IQ on any given road plummets as soon as it rains. Basically, in Brisbane, rain sends a fair pecentage of drivers into uncontrollable insanity on a regular basis.

In Melbourne it rains, people slow down and everything takes a bit longer to happen... frustrating but generally safe. In Brisbane it all goes nuts with normally sane people aiming for gaps that dont exist, houses, trees or anything else that causes devistation on an epic level. Then it all STOPS and no one gets home.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 04:25 PM   #9
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak351
aaah mighty Brisbane. a city full of rednecks with the driving mentality of a Sydney taxi driver.
i'll be visiting that fair metropolis next week for my annual fix of road rage :

i'll choose to take that personally
don't categorize sh!t.id rather have the mentality of a sydney taxi driver than the mentality of an iggnorant hippocrit
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 04:36 PM   #10
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

go gozza. LOL
where in Brissy are you, mate. i'll keep an eye out for your taxi :
Old 31-08-2005, 04:37 PM   #11
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
id rather have the mentality of a sydney taxi driver
Wish granted.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 04:40 PM   #12
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Yeah, I would tend to agree here. Wet weather in Brisbane causes some weird urge to punch car-shaped holes in the scenery.

I blame XXXX.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 04:44 PM   #13
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
lol i agree, there are so many flogs here its not funny not all but most, i spose its because of the usuall dry climate that people don't get to have as much wet driving experience as someone in melbourne or any other rainy town would.

hahahahahahahaha redneck! get f@#ked no rednecks here, you want rednecks go to darwin

Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Old 31-08-2005, 04:55 PM   #14
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb
Everyone in Melbourne seems to drive 20kms under the speed limit when it rains which drives me crazy.
Not that they do? But why do you see a problem with this? Maybe you should get a passport and emigrate to Brisbane.

Last edited by RED_EL_XR8; 31-08-2005 at 05:00 PM.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 04:56 PM   #15
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
i'll choose to take that personally
don't categorize sh!t.id rather have the mentality of a sydney taxi driver than the mentality of an iggnorant hippocrit
That's all very well gozza, but just one question? When can we have the bucket back?
Old 31-08-2005, 05:00 PM   #16
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeno
lol i agree, there are so many flogs here its not funny not all but most, i spose its because of the usuall dry climate that people don't get to have as much wet driving experience as someone in melbourne or any other rainy town would.

hahahahahahahaha redneck! get f@#ked no rednecks here, you want rednecks go to darwin
come on Heeno, everyone knows Darwin is the best city in Australia.
Old 31-08-2005, 05:03 PM   #17
neb
hibernating

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
No that they do? But why do you see a problem with this? Maybe you should get a passport and emigrate to Brisbane.
I'd prefer if everyone drove the speed limit but kept a safe distance in front of them. Thats how I drive in the rain.

But then again I did live in Queensland for around 15 years... so maybe its had an influence on me!
Old 31-08-2005, 05:25 PM   #18
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb
I'd prefer if everyone drove the speed limit but kept a safe distance in front of them. Thats how I drive in the rain.

But then again I did live in Queensland for around 15 years... so maybe its had an influence on me!
In Melbourne in the wet there is no safe distance at the speed limit..
Old 31-08-2005, 05:40 PM   #19
gozza

Quote:
That's all very well gozza, but just one question? When can we have the bucket back?

when i touch the damn sun
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 05:44 PM   #20
neb
hibernating

Quote:
In Melbourne in the wet there is no safe distance at the speed limit..
Of course there is..... If you've got enough distance to respond and brake and stop in time if the car in front of you slams on its brakes then that would be a safe distance wouldn't it.
Old 31-08-2005, 05:46 PM   #21
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb
Of course there is..... If you've got enough distance to respond and brake and stop in time if the car in front of you slams on its brakes then that would be a safe distance wouldn't it.
well yeah......

Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Old 31-08-2005, 05:55 PM   #22
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb
but............in Brisbane if you left the said gap, then some redneck with the mentality of a Sydney taxi driver, would fill that gap and jump on the brakes.
Old 31-08-2005, 05:57 PM   #23
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I agree Red, in peak hour the roads are usually too crowded to allow a safe distance at the speed limit. Slowing down a bit doesn’t hold you up as much as a road blocked after an accident.

A while ago I witnessed Einstein’s grandson (well he clearly was very smart) driving on a streaming wet freeway at 100km/h all of 1.2m behind a truck. If the truck braked he would not have registered the brake lights coming on before he ran into the truck.

I’ll tell you why people don’t drive to the conditions when it is wet – their tiny little brains cannot remember what it was like last time it rained, even if that was yesterday and what they should do. All they know is stop, go and steery-steery. If they are lucky they remember not to bump their head when getting in and out.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 05:58 PM   #24
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
but............in Brisbane if you left the said gap, then some redneck with the mentality of a Sydney taxi driver, would fill that gap and jump on the brakes.
damn nak wins again

Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Old 31-08-2005, 06:00 PM   #25
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb
And that distance is how far on wet drismal rainy, sleaty, just hailed foggy Melbourne winters day on a greasy concrete topped motor way? And which kind of force-field do you use to stop every lame brained lancer pilot with a death with from pulling into your safe distance?
Old 31-08-2005, 06:02 PM   #26
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
And that distance is how far on wet drismal rainy, sleaty, just hailed foggy Melbourne winters day on a greasy concrete topped motor way? And which kind of force-field do you use to stop every lame brained lancer pilot with a death with from pulling into your safe distance?
there is no safe distance once you think you have it someone jumps in

Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Old 31-08-2005, 06:03 PM   #27
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
I’ll tell you why people don’t drive to the conditions when it is wet – their tiny little brains cannot remember what it was like last time it rained, even if that was yesterday and what they should do. All they know is stop, go and steery-steery. If they are lucky they remember not to bump their head when getting in and out.
You could be onto something there, and here was me thinking they were all either taking up the extra challenge, or simply numskulls.
Old 31-08-2005, 06:04 PM   #28
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
All they know is stop, go and steery-steery.
Dont forget Horn! wouldnt be a party without Horn.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 06:07 PM   #29
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Its not really the wet conditions alone, the Brisbane pimple head driving style is almost a given in any peak hour traffic...

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 06:11 PM   #30
neb
hibernating

Quote:
I don't know an exact difference but what just seems safe and gives you plenty of time to brake. It doesn't really matter if the road is wet and greasy and slides easy. The person in front will have the exact same problems so you all just take longer to stop. If someone pulls in front of you then you slow down a little to allow more room. It's not that difficult really to keep a decent speed and safe distance instead of traffic reduced to a crawl like it usually is. I'm mainly thinking of freeway situations here... sure if its peak hour traffic on a road with traffic lights etc then you might need to slow down a bit..

Mainly I think you should drive at the fastest speed you can (under the speed limit) while keeping a safe distance in front of you. Of course if the speed limit is 80 and traffic is only flowing at 60 then you will have to do 60.

It's all common sense really.