Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-08-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Angry Kids on Bikes

I witnessed something very interesting this morning. I was sitting at my desk when I heard a truck horn blarring. I looked out the window to see to kids on BMX bikes swerve out from in front of the truck. One of the kids flipped the bird to the truckie with a big smile on his face. This was about 20 meters from the local skate bowl. The kids rode onto the skate bowl and sat next to eachother. The truckie then pulled over and went and had a word with them. My reason for sharing this, is, I'd like to knowhow many other people have come close to killing kids that just dont get it. Kids ride out in front of cars and trucks, not realising their lack of agility and think it's a great joke when the person in the car/truck near on has a coronary thinking about the possible outcomes.

I'm not some grumpy old bastard who thinks all people under the age of 18 with a skateboard or a bike is nothing but a drugo. But, I do see the need to educate these kids so they realise the dangers of what they are doing. I'd really like to hear some other opinions on what people think can be done to help this situation. We could just run the kids over, but then we would be bad drivers and the speed limit would need to be lowered.

I remember at school, we went and did a traffic laws course and got taught how to look out for cars and trucks. Does this still happen? If not, why not? :

Old 30-08-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

The worst bit is, regardless of the truck/car or whatever being in the right, they will be considered to be the worst in the world and have to prove they jumped from no-where, talk about persumed guilty, and the kids know it, damn kids, give the leather belt I say.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 03:15 PM   #3
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

I view it as survival of the fittest, mate. Kids who are a) smart enough to be careful on the roads or b) fast enough to get themselves out of the danger zone when required are the ones that nature intends to survive.

Darwin > Braking

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
The worst bit is, regardless of the truck/car or whatever being in the right, they will be considered to be the worst in the world and have to prove they jumped from no-where, talk about persumed guilty, and the kids know it, damn kids, give the leather belt I say.
Nah give em P-Plates and speed up the whole evolutionary process.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 03:23 PM   #5
gozza

just wait till your one of the old fogies on the road and there getting ther p's or opens
justice will be served lol
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 03:23 PM   #6
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

well sorry to all but i used to be one of those punk kids, to us it was just the whole rush of it or couldn't be stuffed waiting, anyway that was years ago and yea i got hit by a car one day going to school (yr7) still didn't stop me, lol i was also a ***** of a child.
i don't even think i could ride a bike these days. :yeees:

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Common logic would have it that its easier to stop a pushie than a truck. Roads are for cars not smartarses on skateboards and pushies.

They dont pay rego yet we have to give way to them WTF!!! Last night i had a kid hold up traffic because he was riding in the middle of the lane when there was a cycling lane right next to where he was.

To make matters worse he didnt even get off the road when i was flashing my lights doin 15km/h behind him.

they are bloody smartarses cause they know the law will back them up.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 03:25 PM   #8
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeno
well sorry to all but i used to be one of those punk kids, to us it was just the whole rush of it or couldn't be stuffed waiting, anyway that was years ago and yea i got hit by a car one day going to school (yr7) still didn't stop me, lol i was also a ***** of a child.
i don't even think i could ride a bike these days. :yeees:
Have you got any smarter with age? If not, I would like the make, model, colour and rego of your car so that myself and my family members know to avoid it.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 03:26 PM   #9
kaytonk
Moopheus?

while we are on the subject, that whole qld law of "pedistrians always have right of way" is starting to really anoy me. actually, it always has. people know they have right of way and just wander around knowing you have to stop. you don thave to run them down as such..................
Old 30-08-2005, 03:27 PM   #10
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Have you got any smarter with age? If not, I would like the make, model, colour and rego of your car so that myself and my family members know to avoid it.
oh yea, that was back in the old primary school days, i know what its like to avoid them.

Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Old 30-08-2005, 03:36 PM   #11
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Actually, whilst I'm not a firm beleiver in darwinism, mainly cause it doesn't work as well as it should. I honestly think that Nicko had a point. Let them get hit and learn the lesson. But, unfortunatley, as Will pointed out, they have right of way. Why? WHY?!?!?! Whilst on the topic of pedestrians having right of way, regardless of whether on a rd or not. Make sure you avoid driving through Maryborough on Market Day. People presume that all roads are closed and mosie on out in front of those new fandangled horseless carriages with the engine thingy.
Old 30-08-2005, 03:37 PM   #12
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

As a long-time cyclist, I'll wade into this one with my clipless wellies on.

The problem is, first and foremost, that kids don't see the danger in what they do. Sadly, I feel that no amount of road rules education will help, although I do think it should be compulsory in schools. I know that at the age of 9 or 10, I took what was called a Cycling Proficiency Test. Taught me about road rules, what the signs meant, etc. I'm not sure it made me a better cyclist when on the road, but at least I was armed with the rules. However, riding your bike in front of a semi-trailer is something quite different. The kids clearly felt it would be fun, so no amount of training will change that. I suspect that it would take a serious accident for these kids to stop doing what they're doing. It may sound heartless, but it serves them bloody well right - if they're stupid enough to do it, then they're stupid enough to get run over or maimed.

The second point I'd like to make, which perhaps is slightly tangenital, is that it seems road users (at least here in Brisbane, less so in Sydney from my experience) have no idea how to deal with cyclists when on the public roads. Too many times I've been passed by a motorist who decides that I don't need more room, and passing me at 70 with perhaps a foot of space between his nearside door and my right hand is acceptable. It isn't, and I've lost count of the number of door mirrors I have forcibly removed because of this (it's the ex-courier in me - can't be beaten out..!). That's easy in London where you can escape easily, but I've not had the guts to do it in Brisbane yet - the traffic moves too fast to make your escape!

The best car drivers are usually motorcycle riders as well. There's something about being so exposed that makes them a little more considerate, because they know damn well that an accident involving them on a bike and a car will turn ugly real fast. As a veteran of many accidents with cars involving me on my bike, I'd say that cyclists who drive are also more attentive and aware but I guess I would say that, wouldn't I... oh, I just did... oops...

Anyway, if there had been an accident in this case, I am sure that the truckie would be labelled as being in the wrong. Maybe that's not true and maybe it is. The point being that you cannot escape the following fact:

Kids will ALWAYS be kids. They'll jump off 10-foot high walls and break their legs. They'll ride their bikes without helmets. They'll hurt themselves in the pursuit of impressing their mates. And there's sweet FA that anyone can do about it. Education is one thing - application of said education is something else entirely.

There. That was a pointless post, wasn't it.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 03:46 PM   #13
big_waity
Windsor Man!

I agree Neeek, most of the best drivers aare cyclists or motorbike riders. For about 3 years, I rode to school on my bike. about 12 of the 15K ride each way was 100k/h highway. I learnt to stay well clear when a cane truck passed and I learnt a good deal of respect for cyclists. I try my best to give full right of passage to all cyclists, remembering of course, the difference between cyclists and kids on bikes. I suppose you are also correct in your comment that kids will always be kids and that cannot be changed.

As my father said when I told him, would be good to just clip the back wheel of the bike as it got out of the way. So as to scare the living heck out of the kid without causing any permanent damage to anything but the ego.
Old 30-08-2005, 03:50 PM   #14
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
As my father said when I told him, would be good to just clip the back wheel of the bike as it got out of the way. So as to scare the living heck out of the kid without causing any permanent damage to anything but the ego.
but what happens when someone does it to your kid? differant story then, like neek said kids will be kids and we were all kids once and more then likely if you had a bike, rode on the road and would have done something stupid wether it was on purpose or not. just give them a big earful.

btw most drivers (when i used to use pedal power) were absolute pricks who would try and scare you by going past and missing you by inches.

Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Old 30-08-2005, 03:51 PM   #15
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Ever tried clipping the back wheel of a bike when you're in a car? I'd like to see anyone try without knocking the cyclist over!

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 03:53 PM   #16
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
Ever tried clipping the back wheel of a bike when you're in a car? I'd like to see anyone try without knocking the cyclist over!
or the cyclist going under your wheel.... wouldn't that be funny, trying to be a smart a55 and you end up killing some kid

Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Old 30-08-2005, 03:54 PM   #17
gozza

bikes are cool on the road as long as i don't need to slow down well below speed for them..
in fact cyclists annoy the hell out of me the same as pedestrians...its the damn attitude....as for motor bikes..if i see one in my mirrors i make sure i know where that damn bike is all the time....just the other day i had a motor bike behind and to the right of me...put my indicator on...took my eyes of the biker..went to change lanes and the idiot is beside me...just like that...and i nearly knocked a biker off the road soon after getting my license so i respect bikers...but not pedestrians or cyclists that have the...."you can't run over me so deal with it" attitude
Old 30-08-2005, 03:56 PM   #18
gozza

****the bike changed from the rear right..behind me and was on my left side...that makes more sense now
Old 30-08-2005, 03:59 PM   #19
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
...that makes more sense now
more sense, in the same context that standing on a bucket will at least theoretically place you closer to the sun!
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 04:02 PM   #20
gozza

i wrote that because what i previously said may have suggested that the biker only moved up beside me when i was meaning to say he went from by rear right to next to my left in about half a second...i nearly merged onto him
Old 30-08-2005, 04:02 PM   #21
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
more sense, in the same context that standing on a bucket will at least theoretically place you closer to the sun!
you come up with some spun sh!t red

Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Old 30-08-2005, 04:13 PM   #22
Penelope Pitstop
Can't get enough of this.

Location: Standing on the driveway sobbing because I don't have a PINK ute anymore :0(

Cyclists don’t bother me at all, most of them are pretty good and stick as far left as they can. When I pass them I usually try to go as wide as possible even into the other lane like I am overtaking another car if I can and it is safe to do so. The only times cyclists annoy me is when they ride 2 abreast and are quite clearly encroaching on lane space and don’t appear to care.

Kids, however annoy me constantly. There is a whole swarm of them in my neighbourhood that constantly ride in the middle of the road or do laps at the top of the cul-de-sac. The dangerous part about it is that the cul-de-sac is at the top of a blind hill and blind corner so you cannot see the monsters until you are practically on top of them. The amount of near misses that have occurred is incredible but still they don’t learn. What are the parents thinking allowing them to do this – some are as young as 5 or 6. We are all on acreage blocks so it’s not like they don’t have anywhere else to play. Arrrgghhh if I ever have children there is no way they would be allowed to do this!
Penelope Pitstop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 04:30 PM   #23
Biggoggs
Rider on the storm

I was once driving along a suburban road and a group of skinheads (skinny teens with Eminem haircuts, white shorts, white 'beaters) were walking on the road. I go around them, and one of them thought it necessary to pretend to leap in front of me, but if I didn't swerve I probably would've hit him. Next time I'm going to follow them slowly, valve up Xzibit or Terror Squad, and wind down the windows
Bikers can be annoying too. They travel slow and can't overtake them, which makes them equal to a very slow truck.
Biggoggs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 05:30 PM   #24
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

That insane!

The consequences (not only legal but emotional too) for the poor driver if he had of hit the kid. When I was a kid I used to ride on the road, but only ever attempted dangerous and stupid things in my own backyard, where I couldn't injure other people or have any one to watch and laugh when I fell off.

Such as riding off the roof...

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 07:09 PM   #25
ferris01
I am a Princess!!!

I nursed two 15 year olds who decided to play chicken on a four lane road. One is now waiting for a Nursing Home placement and the other is in rehab but they are still not sure how much of a recovery he will make...

What a great life they have ahead of them...
ferris01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 08:11 PM   #26
dvk
running from explosions

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Actually, whilst I'm not a firm beleiver in darwinism, mainly cause it doesn't work as well as it should. I honestly think that Nicko had a point. Let them get hit and learn the lesson. But, unfortunatley, as Will pointed out, they have right of way. Why? WHY?!?!?! Whilst on the topic of pedestrians having right of way, regardless of whether on a rd or not. Make sure you avoid driving through Maryborough on Market Day. People presume that all roads are closed and mosie on out in front of those new fandangled horseless carriages with the engine thingy.
Those pedestrians don't have right of way. As stated in the manual which all people who wish to obtain a learners permit must study, a pedestrian already crossing the road at an intersection has right of way. This rule is in place so, when the little green man lights up and you trot out onto the tarmac, fullsikmate commodore who wants to turn left can't drive over you. The rule makes perfect sense, and this is the only time pedestrians have right of way. I don't understand what everyone is talking about when they say that people who jump out in front of traffic have right of way. They don't and they never did..... It is illegal to cross in front of cars. THIS IS CALLED JAYWALKING.

The solution to the problem waity has observed (and I completely agree is a big problem) is simple. Kids must be educated in school about the road rules, which apply as much to cyclists as they do to any other vehicle. Once they are better educated, then the government will have logical grounds upon which to increase penalties for non-compliance with the rules by cyclists. Like fining daddy who bought johnny his fullysik haro bmx with 8 stunt pegs.

And with regard to the "they dont pay rego so they shouldnt use the road" argument, rego is there to compensate the government for damage to the road (why trucks pay more), and pollution (also why trucks pay more. and cyclists pay nothing). I completely disagree with this argument. The only possible grounds upon which to charge cyclists for road use is insurance and associated legal reasons (ie, little johnny homeless rides into the back of your ferarri and causes 10000 worth of panal beating and replacement), which I am still undecided on. It is true that some cyclists cause problems on the road. But once they are properly educated, combined with tougher enforcement, the problem should be put to rest.
dvk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 08:12 PM   #27
TuMor
its not a!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggoggs
I was once driving along a suburban road and a group of skinheads (skinny teens with Eminem haircuts, white shorts, white 'beaters) were walking on the road. I go around them, and one of them thought it necessary to pretend to leap in front of me, but if I didn't swerve I probably would've hit him. Next time I'm going to follow them slowly, valve up Xzibit or Terror Squad, and wind down the windows
Bikers can be annoying too. They travel slow and can't overtake them, which makes them equal to a very slow truck.
Same thing happened to me when i was driving home one sundie morn.
I did a quick lap around the block and drove up behind them fast , and locked up the brakes. Stupid i know......but it got resuts.
TuMor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 08:48 PM   #28
Panda
XR6 and XR8 Club of QLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuMor
Same thing happened to me when i was driving home one sundie morn.
I did a quick lap around the block and drove up behind them fast , and locked up the brakes. Stupid i know......but it got resuts.
Yeah, they don't act so y when you don't swerve. You don't have to hit them, just a little fright will do.

Panda
Old 30-08-2005, 08:51 PM   #29
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

drop in into neutral and rev to 5k? that might work
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 09:03 PM   #30
gtfpv
GT

kids are stupid at that age. on a lighter note have you ever seen a truckie get out of his truck on the side of the road . if you have i gaurantee you had to swerve out of the way to avoid running them over and got a shocked look off him as if you have just driven through his lounge room.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post