Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-11-2017, 10:38 PM   #1
blue sleeper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Holden V8 5.0 Litre 3 valve

I seem to recall the workers at Elizabeth, creating a 3v version of the Holden 5 litre as a prototype before the Gen 3 came along. I read it in a Wheels/Motor mag in the late 90's. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Have: 1JZ Soarer dump pipe, exhaust, coilovers , 17" mags
blue sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2017, 10:59 PM   #2
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holden V8 5.0 Litre 3 valve

Street Machine mag did a small article about that recently.
Nothing came of it
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2017, 01:11 AM   #3
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GM America were supposed to be experimenting with 3 valve heads for the LS, using a split rocker.
Guess nothing came of that either.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue sleeper View Post
I seem to recall the workers at Elizabeth, creating a 3v version of the Holden 5 litre as a prototype before the Gen 3 came along. I read it in a Wheels/Motor mag in the late 90's. Does that ring a bell with anyone?
They prototyped quite a few different head designs over the decades, including OHC & K-Jetronic injection.

The engine design facility that worked on these was nick-named the "skunk works", but was actually at Fisherman's Bend (Port Melbourne) not Elizabeth. All Holden engines were built in the same place since 1948 & then transported to all the body plants. The only one left being Elizabeth.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #5
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They canned the 3 valve head because it only made a few kilowatts more than the 2v head
boss351290 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #6
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day , Interesting to see this was considered . GM have done a lot with the LS range so I suppose they decided not to complicate it anymore when it worked pretty well anyway ..If it ain't broke , don't fix it you might say .
A mate of mine has a Falcon RTV with the 260 KW 3 valve 5.4 litre V8 and it's had lot's of trouble with cam phaser issues and required a fair bit of moola to sort out on the 3V . I know the Holden stuff is different beast but less complicated for only marginal loss of power makes good sense . I think the 4V quad cam 5.4 L made 290 KW without the VCT issues didn't it for Ford until it was replaced with the mighty 5.0 litre Coyote/Miami . What a beaut donk that is. So is the range of 6.2 litre Chevy mills for sure . Cheers Rod.

Last edited by roddy1960; 12-11-2017 at 12:36 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day , Interesting to see this was considered . GM have done a lot with the LS range so I suppose they decided not to complicate it anymore when it worked pretty well anyway ..If it ain't broke , don't fix it you might say .
A mate of mine has a Falcon RTV with the 260 KW 3 valve 5.4 litre V8 and it's had lot's of trouble with cam phaser issues and required a fair bit of moola to sort out on the 3V . I know the Holden stuff is different beast but less complicated for only marginal loss of power makes good sense . I think the 4V quad cam 5.4 L made 290 KW without the VCT issues didn't it for Ford until it was replaced with the mighty 5.0 litre Coyote/Miami . What a beaut donk that is. So is the range of 6.2 litre Chevy mills for sure . Cheers Rod.
5.4 3V was 220-230kw factory. 5.4 4V couldn't physically fit VCT
Nu66et is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-11-2017, 01:21 PM   #8
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Interesting. Chevy experimented with 3 valve chambers for the Gen I small block back in the 60s. Mickey Thompson actually developed a 3 valve small block Chevy for Indy some time mid-late 60s back when all kind of combinations were competing together.. I don't think much happened with it.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post