Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
biased99
Occasional V8 user...

Default Retro-fitting passenger's airbag in an AUII XLS ute...

By way of introduction, I am the proud owner of an XLS 5LT manual ute which has a number of Fairlane bits and pieces (front end, interior etc).

However, it has only the driver's airbag, and the "cover" for the passenger's side 'bag. I understand that dual air-bags were an option for these, so assuming I could find a passenger-side airbag at reasonable dollars, would the option wiring be there to fit it (and sensors etc), or is it too much hassle/not do-able etc?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Regards,
Michael

biased99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Hello Michael, the wiring is already there behind the 'airbag blank' ... Remove the resistor plugged in and you can plug the airbag straight in ... I did this in mine but had to clear the DTS errors to allow it to work

5.0L, 2.1l Kenne Bell, Tickford T3 Heads, Crow valve springs, YellaTerra 1.7 Rockers, Comp Cam, Comp D-Row Timing, 10mm LiveWire Leads, LC-1 & Moats Quarterhorse, B&M TransCooler, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, King Superlow Coil Springs, John Bowe Superlow Pro Leaf Springs, K&N 4" Pod & CAI, Pacemakers, 100c Cats, 2.5" Redback, 19" FPV Rims, BF-T Prem Brakes, TS50 Bumper with DTRL's, Custom FG Bulge, BA XR Side Skirts/Rear bar

Ford Performance Club of ACT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rayban76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
biased99
Occasional V8 user...

Default Re: Retro-fitting passenger's airbag in an AUII XLS ute...

Nice one! Thanks for that...I'm off to suss that out straight away.

Thanks again.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
biased99
Occasional V8 user...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayban76 View Post
Hello Michael, the wiring is already there behind the 'airbag blank' ... Remove the resistor plugged in and you can plug the airbag straight in ... I did this in mine but had to clear the DTS errors to allow it to work
OK, checked it out and yes, the wiring is there (including resistor). Only question is now, having pre-emptively ordered the airbag, there seems little infor about how to "DIY" clear any resultant error codes.

Can you step me through how you did this...?

Regards,
Michael
Old 09-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

I got an OBD2 cable off eBay and you can get the free ForScan software and that has the ability to clear any DTC's (the codes).
Before I cleared the codes the airbag light stayed on indicating that it wasn't working, after clearing the error code it all worked great.

Regards
Ray

5.0L, 2.1l Kenne Bell, Tickford T3 Heads, Crow valve springs, YellaTerra 1.7 Rockers, Comp Cam, Comp D-Row Timing, 10mm LiveWire Leads, LC-1 & Moats Quarterhorse, B&M TransCooler, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, King Superlow Coil Springs, John Bowe Superlow Pro Leaf Springs, K&N 4" Pod & CAI, Pacemakers, 100c Cats, 2.5" Redback, 19" FPV Rims, BF-T Prem Brakes, TS50 Bumper with DTRL's, Custom FG Bulge, BA XR Side Skirts/Rear bar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This user likes this post:
Old 09-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #6
biased99
Occasional V8 user...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayban76 View Post
I got an OBD2 cable off eBay and you can get the free ForScan software and that has the ability to clear any DTC's (the codes).
Before I cleared the codes the airbag light stayed on indicating that it wasn't working, after clearing the error code it all worked great.

Regards
Ray
You're in Canberra, right? Could I be a major PITA and perhaps meet you somewhere and gain your assistance in clearing the codes when they inevitably appear?

I've done quite a bit of research today, and it appears that the AU Falcons have some kind of "bastardised" ODBII system, which many after-market scanners etc won't touch.

Concern is that getting an ODBII connector, and - I imagine - hooking it up to my laptop won't work, so would welcome a bit of a hand...

Perhaps you could PM me if you're OK with helping out? (I'll install the 2nd airbag, first, then we can look to clear the codes?)

Last time I cleared an airbag code was with an early-90s LS400. Do a search for LS400 airbag "wire dance". and that will give you an idea of how easy that was to clear...The Falcon sounds considerably more difficult!

Regards,

Michael
Old 09-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

I'm more than happy to help out Michael, didn't know you were in Canberra or I'd have offered earlier ...
PM me and I'll give you my number mate
Ray

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
biased99
Occasional V8 user...

Thanks again Ray. BTW, Airbag arrived today (left at front door if you don't mind!), but didn't have the fixing screws/bolts/whatever fixes them to the rear frame thing...Are they a specific type of screw(?), or will any threaded screw/bolt of appropriate diameter/thread pitch/length work?

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #9
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Hi Michael, I think from memory that they're a generic screw but it was about 10 months ago that I did my replacement ... I remember that they were a gold/bronze colour ... I've probably got similar in the garage as I have heaps of AU spares

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #10
biased99
Occasional V8 user...

Thanks Ray. I'll have a hunt 'round and see if I've got screws which will fit, and try and mount it up this w/end. Will let you (and others) know how it goes.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #11
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Just for info they're 10mm bolts

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #12
biased99
Occasional V8 user...

Cheers, thanks again. (That's becoming a habit, BTW.
Old 13-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #13
biased99
Occasional V8 user...

Well, airbag is in, and I started the car to see what heppened and *BANG*...

...Just kidding. What actually happened was that I reconnected the battery, turned the ignition on (to ACC) and waited. Airbg light went off (good), but odometer section was showing FAI1 (or something like that) with no km reading. Hmmm....

Started the car anyway, and let it idle for a few minutes to see what happened. Odo returned to "normal" (km reading showing), so I suspect the original message was an error code being thrown. Will need to chuck it on the diag tool and check things out.
I suspect that my ABS module (or fuse) is U/S also, so that may be something else to check...(Don't get an ABS light when switching the ignition to ACC).
Old 13-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #14
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Yep it's a fault code mate ... I'm home tonight if you wanna pop round and I can put the computer on it for you ... Shoot me a PM in interested
Ray

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 14-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #15
biased99
Occasional V8 user...

Cr*p...Sorry Ray, haven't checked this since yesterday... :( Spent this morning trying to trace a fault with the ABS...Get no "check light" on ACC, so spent a fair amount of time with a mate trying to pull the 60A fuse for that (only to dicover that it's screwed in, which is kinda screwed up, IYKWIM...)

Still haven't quite worked that one out either.

I'll order the Bluetooth ELM327 clone off ebay and get in touch when you're back...Tell the truth, whilst I'm not what you'd call an enthusiast, I do like the old ute! Would actually be keen to catch up with you and the bloke running the LTD with the stroker...Quite a nice trio of vehicles, IMHO!

Give us a shout when you're back: In the mean time I'll try and hook up the diag "box" with my laptop and see what's thrown up...

Regards,
Michael
Old 14-06-2014, 06:36 PM   #16
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

No probs mate will do, I've got a spare SRS module as well

Ray

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 18-06-2014, 12:23 AM   #17
MrEL
Sick Puppy

It is a tops ute.
I do regret selling it but it was one of those things.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post