Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
dave289
Banned

Question House extension, single brick, double brick, blueboard . What would you use ?

I am doing a house reno/ extension shortly and was wondering what peoples thoughts were on different materials. The house is already double brick and I was thinking to keep it double brick. The Thing is in the last month I have had my mate, who has done a owner reno, and says to go single brick as it is cheaper. My neighbour who is a builder says he would build his extension if he was to do one in blue board, just as he has recently done his new garage, my other neighbour who is also in the building game said he would do an extention in blueboard ,just as he has done with his laundry out the back.my oldies did a reno a couple of years back , they extended their house and also used blueboard. They argue its much cheaper than double brick or even single brick for that matter. The extention will only be another 50 sqaure metres , 8 by 6 meters. I like things built tough and dont think the savings would be that substantial for the end result. What is your opinion on these products and what would you use ?

dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

If you go blue board, will this then need to be clad?

I would go with whatever I can afford at the time, and whatever fits in with the rest of the house.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

If you want to do an extension...I reckon the most important thing is to not make it look like an extension. Try and stick with existing building materials from the original house...hopefully the type of brick is still in production or as absolute close as possible to it. As to go double or single brick....i'd go single...but thats just my preference. Just try and make it look like the rest of the house. My house is a split level three storey house from Brick and weatherboard. The weatherboard is much more forgiving with a bit of house movement compared to the brick too. Good luck with the project tho...hope this helps a bit.
74_XB_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Dave, go the double brick mate, if it's only another 50 squares and you want it tough, well.....let's just say that while blueboard is a good option, it's not as tough as bricks and as has been said, you want this to look like it's always been there. It's a Pitt you aren't SA based, I'd be able to do you a great price on all the materials. Timber, 2nd fix, etc.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
If you go blue board, will this then need to be clad?

I would go with whatever I can afford at the time, and whatever fits in with the rest of the house.
The brick on my house is already rendered ,so I dont need to match the brickwork. It will be rendered over then painted when finished. Single story extension.
Old 28-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
The brick on my house is already rendered ,so I dont need to match the brickwork. It will be rendered over then painted when finished. Single story extension.
Nice...sounds like thats the way to go then Dave.
74_XB_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Dave, go the double brick mate, if it's only another 50 squares and you want it tough, well.....let's just say that while blueboard is a good option, it's not as tough as bricks and as has been said, you want this to look like it's always been there. It's a Pitt you aren't SA based, I'd be able to do you a great price on all the materials. Timber, 2nd fix, etc.
I think I will just go double brick , to me its tougher, quieter,better insulated. one of my 8 metre walls will be just about glass sliding doors all the way across. on the opposite 8 metre wall there will be a gap of about 3 metres in the middle, so there will be no need for bricks or walls there. I have estimated I will need around 6,000 bricks and have been quoted $550 per 1000, these are new bricks ,and includes gst. delivery should not be too much as they are very close by. laying them should be around $1,000 per thousand as they are not face bricks and will then be rendered over, just as the blueboard would be rendered over and painted also if I was to use blueboard. I just cant see the savings of blueboard would justify the advantages of brick. How much could you really save here ? For the matter of a few grand I think its pointless going any other way really, I guess if you were building a new home then the savings might be substantial , but for my small extension I guess the savings would be minimal and unjustified.
Old 28-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it were me I'd go brick to keep it as close to original as possible. What is it going to be used for,family room?

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
If it were me I'd go brick to keep it as close to original as possible. What is it going to be used for,family room?
It will be my open loungeroom and kitchen area in one, the dining will be still where it is just behind this area.
Old 28-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #10
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds good you'll have post pics when its done.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 06:09 PM   #11
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Spot on, the key to resale value and aesthetics, is dont make it look like an extension, make it look like it was part of the original house, only Fresher!

Old 28-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

If you intend to keep the house long term then go the double brick. If you want to sell the house in the near future go the blueboard.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #13
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'd go single brick and given you will render any ways, you could use seconds. Inside use plasterboard which will give a nice clean finish.

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #14
Scott

Blue board. The place is already rendered so it will match, be quicker and cheaper.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #15
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Spot on, the key to resale value and aesthetics, is dont make it look like an extension, make it look like it was part of the original house, only Fresher!
My oldies house was blueboard ,rendered over then painted, as was the neighbours garage, they both look like they were build by brick until you tap on the wall. I have seen brick houses extended in this stuff then rendered and you would not know it was'nt brick and blends perfectly with the rendered brickwork. As for resale , I would prefer to buy a brick home rather than clad home if possible, but will more than likely not sell anytime soon. You would think though that double brick might be more appealling to a potantial buyer to the point they would pay a few grand more than cladding , and this is where I see the extra price in the brickwork being justified.
Old 28-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #16
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Dave if you are rendering then maybe some second hand cheaper bricks might be more logical than brand newies?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #17
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Dave if you are rendering then maybe some second hand cheaper bricks might be more logical than brand newies?
To be honest I could not find them much cheaper second hand. I have been quoted 55 cents a brick, this is new and includes gst, and by my local building supplier. Some people also told me that some brickies did not like to work with second hand bricks , so I thought this would be the best option. I think I only need around 6,000 bricks.
Old 28-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #18
dave289
Banned

I would also like to say thankyou to Jason (YELLOW FESTIVA) who responded to a thread I had earlier in the year "asking about land surveys and pricing"(dont bother finding the thread folks its not worth it ,just a question and a few answers) , and put me on to a suryeror ,who did my survey ,and saved me a few(hundred) dollars. every other surveyor was asking 50% more on average so many thanks again jason. I will be finalising plans for council in the next week or 2 and hopefully be underway by march.
Old 28-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #19
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Dave, I agree doing it in brick is much better. Insulation being the most important. I'm not sure if this helps, but I work for a large builder in Brisbane. Every time we build a house we have heaps of bricks leftover, and it costs the builder more to get rid of them than they are worth.

Just suggesting you may approach a local home builder or 2 and see if they have any bricks they intend on getting rid of. You would be saving them a heap, and saving yourself about $3300.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #20
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Hi Dave, I agree doing it in brick is much better. Insulation being the most important. I'm not sure if this helps, but I work for a large builder in Brisbane. Every time we build a house we have heaps of bricks leftover, and it costs the builder more to get rid of them than they are worth.

Just suggesting you may approach a local home builder or 2 and see if they have any bricks they intend on getting rid of. You would be saving them a heap, and saving yourself about $3300.
Thanks for the idea red, I will look into that as I will not have council approval for 6 to 8 weeks(probly) and do have room to store them. would you usally have a few thousand left over or just a few hundred ?
Old 28-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #21
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
I would also like to say thankyou to Jason (YELLOW FESTIVA) who responded to a thread I had earlier in the year "asking about land surveys and pricing"(dont bother finding the thread folks its not worth it ,just a question and a few answers) , and put me on to a suryeror ,who did my survey ,and saved me a few(hundred) dollars. every other surveyor was asking 50% more on average so many thanks again jason. I will be finalising plans for council in the next week or 2 and hopefully be underway by march.
No worries,

Hope it all works out.
Old 28-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #22
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks for the idea red, I will look into that as I will not have council approval for 6 to 8 weeks(probly) and do have room to store them. would you usally have a few thousand left over or just a few hundred ?
The most I have seen at 1 house is about 11 pallets. Try the larger builders who do the most number. If you ask most should yes.

All you need to do is find new estate near you.
Old 28-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #23
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
No worries,

Hope it all works out.
Think I might owe you a beer or 2 or 3...

Thanks again mate , he did a top job and loaded it on cad which make things a lot easier for my draftsman.
Old 28-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #24
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
The most I have seen at 1 house is about 11 pallets. Try the larger builders who do the most number. If you ask most should yes.

All you need to do is find new estate near you.
11 pallets . only one problem , no new estates nearby.
Old 28-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #25
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
11 pallets . only one problem , no new estates nearby.
Oh dear. If it saves you $3300, it might pay to go a little way. Guess you will have to decide. Just thinking the saving on bricks could be spent elsewhere.

Are there any tradies on the forum who work for project builders and see bricks laying around? If so let Dave know.

If you were in Brisbane, I could have helped you out.
Old 29-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #26
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Think I might owe you a beer or 2 or 3...

Thanks again mate , he did a top job and loaded it on cad which make things a lot easier for my draftsman.
Send me a PM when it comes time to build with what tradies you need and I'm sure myself or brother will be able to suggest more than a few good men to get the job under way.

Cheers again,

Jason
Old 29-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #27
smacxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id go brick veneer, single skin external and timber frame and plasterboard. Blueboard is considerably cheaper but the biggest downside to it is you wont get the recessed window look, i.e. blueboard will be flush with the window instead of the window being recessed into the brick opening. Not only does the flush look cheapen the look but it certainly wont match the existing.
Are the existing internal walls rendered aswell?
Are you doing most of the work yourself? Because the other option is Hebel powerpanel, it works out a little dearer than bricks to buy but you can put it up yourself pretty quickly and once done you would have a hard time picking the difference between it and brickwork. Fantastic thermal properties too.
smacxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #28
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I'd go at least single brick if not double brick.

Pardon my ignorance, but why would one render their brick? Isn't that removing one of the best qualities of a brick home - never needing to paint it?
Old 29-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #29
Silentsfastcar

If you house is already rendered, then go blueboard, get some dulux arcratex stuff, texture the blueboard to look like the rendered brick. If you dont think its tough, run into it.. see how much it hurts ;p

EDIT: and for the window flush.. just depends on how good the builder is. you can do it quite easy!
Old 30-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #30
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I'd go at least single brick if not double brick.

Pardon my ignorance, but why would one render their brick? Isn't that removing one of the best qualities of a brick home - never needing to paint it?
I,ve been here for 16 year,s the house was already rendered as are most around here. yes you have to paint it every 8 or so years but the advantage you failled to see is that you can change the colour of your home, something that cant be done with brick. the bloke nextdoor did a reno recently painted it a colour found something he liked better and painted it a different colour.
You are pardoned
This user likes this post: