Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
CODSASR

Default Wagon help please

Hey all looking for a wagon as we have our forth child on the way. The only real need is that it can fit a extra row of seats in the back.

I have had a look at a few subaru liberty and outlanders but not sure what they are like on price of repairs.

Is there anyothers anyone can suggest?

P.S Not looking at 4x4's as I think you should only own one if your gunna take it bush and not looking at holdens as I dont like the look or feel of them.

2012 SZ TS Territory
CODSASR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
Withnail

Four kids... ouch!

No seriously, congratulations. Our first is just a couple of weeks away.

Tarago?

Friends of ours have a Volvo XC90 and, despite the fact that the Toorak Tractor looks like its huge, they cant fit their three youngsters in child seats (all under 6) across the back seat. The oldest one is in the third row in the back but that means there is no room for all their nappy bags, prams and crap.

Do the Liberty and Outlanders offer a third row? The thing is you need something wide enough to accommodate the three across the back seat (unlike our friends' car), as well as have the third row option.

Good luck!
Withnail is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
Struggo

Check out the HONDA ODYSSEY-7-SEAT

http://www.drive.com.au/search/buy-u...4924920&from=4
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems the reality is that with 6 people in a car/wagon its gonna be on the larger size of things. territory would seem to fit the bill as would a prado, by the way i found the outlander horrible to drive. i couldnt believe the understeer when driving it in an above ground carpark, tyres squealing at very low speeds while turning on the concrete. Hired it for a day while my Prado got injected liquid gas.
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would suggest a van too. Have a look at close the 3rd seating is to the rear of a wagon and think rear ender.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 01:15 AM   #6
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Do you have a budget? Honda Odyssey the pick of the moderns, if you don't want to spend much, look for an EL or AU Fairmont with the rear seats.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 01:22 AM   #7
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

+1 for the Honda Odyssey if you have the funds. Extremely well built and they don't look too bad either!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

I would suggest a late model kia Carnival (08+). Loads of space and not bad to drive. I would say if your playing on keeping the car for a while dont get the Honda or a Falcon wagon with 3rd row seats. Yes the Honda is an awesome product but when my partner and I looked at one we didnt like the lack of room and access to the rear and boot space.

If you have 4 kids you are going to have a pram/s, capsule/s, booster seat/s and once all that is in a Honda there is no room and its the same for a Falcon wagon with the 3rd row seat. The Kia has huge amounts of space and when I worked at a rental car company who had they on there fleet we found them to be as reliable as most other cars.

The Tarago could also be an option but its a little smaller inside, not as practical and more expensive and when we had a choice of Tarago or Carnival at the rental place almost every employee went the Carnival.

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
CODSASR

Thanks guys I would love a Honda bit there a bit out of our price range. I was thinking the kia but i had a few mechanics say they dont really last past 100,000km.

We will have two that walk one in a stroller then the bub so looking at space i could get a stroller and pram to fit fine in a wagon, looking at the pajero and prado they seem to have less space with a 3rd row then a AU wagon.

Regarding budget I am in the AU/II Fairmont and BA XT range out of the two wich would be more reliable?

Also was thinking for trips if I get a wagon would one of those roof pods be a good idea?

Thanks for all the help its much appreciated

2012 SZ TS Territory
CODSASR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post