Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
carnige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default bad mechanics .....

Hey guys i wanted to have a rant about the problem i have had trying to find a mechanic that knows how to work on a car...

I use to take my ford to a proper ford dealer. I thought paying that bit extra you might get a better class of mechanic but I was very wrong. They were very bad. They even charged me for parts they forgot to put on lol

How ever I went from a ford dealer to profix. they were not so bad but they would tell me the car will be fixed if i leave it there over night and come at closing time to pick it up the next day. 2 days later they finally got around to it.

Then it came to Ultra Tune's turn... i had booked my EF falcon in to have the welsh plugs done and a steel water pipe changed over. they changed the water pipe over they had to take the extractors off... when they went to put it back on they forgot to put 2 bolts in they were still sitting up on the shocker tower. They also forgot to put the O2 censor back on . So I thought that was bad.

But stupid me thought i would give them one more try to do a good job... all they had to do was a simple service which I would have done it my self but it's a new car and it's still in warranty so there shouldn't really be much that can go wrong with the car but you never know so i checked. They had forgotten to put the oil cap on, and the radiator cap was sitting there but not done up. I told the guy about it and he just said "oh ok" then walked away...

I am worried now when i get home from work tomorrow im going to check the sump plug.

That will do for my rant for now lol ..... I have found all the dodgy mechanics in SA i think im guessing the next one would have to be good...????

Last edited by Auslandau; 24-08-2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: spelling nazi has struck
carnige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 12:33 AM   #2
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

carnige, you want a good mechanic to work on your car, PM me, my mate has had 8 years in the industry, can log book or weekend work.
i wouldn't trust anyone else with my old BA, and he is VERY switched on.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds like they went to india for there qualifacation

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

82XD393.3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 01:58 AM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats a bit sad , the dealer i worked at as an apprentice ,they had a road tester who was a fully qaulified mechanic check over the car before it was returned to the customer, even rattles and squeeks they had a test track, i don`t know what its like now , but in the older cars to do a major service by the book was a dam lot of work to be done in a short time ..........and a lot of the work might be checking over stuff , , anyway i hope you find a good bloke, i must confess i bought my au from a suzuki dealer, when i took it back for warranty work the young mechanic thought one of the stabiliser bar supports which was obviousely bent was ment to be like that , its a worry.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bought a 'well maintaned by my mechanic' Laser off my young sister.... loose oil filter, finger tight sump plug and choof choof spark plug about to spit through the bonnet..... young girls and cars sabotage conspiracy theories or just really crap workmanship..??..
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
iCat
doof doof doof doof

mechanic recommended to me as good and honest so took the xf falcon there for service. i've had a 351 put in it. anyways, i pop in a few hours later and he's done nothing and says "what car is this? it must be an xd or xe with that v8?" i say it's modified, to which he replies "can't do the service, i don't have a manual for it."

iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Omg icat lol I just cracked up so hard
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
iCat
doof doof doof doof

ok just remembered another - had just had the 351 installed and had the falc at the exhaust shop, had extractor leak, anyway she's up on the hoist and the bloke is underneath the engine and says "yeah, nice and clean, must be proud of your car, shame it doesn't have a couple more cylinders." and i'm standing there thinking "what, he wants a v12 in there or something?"

then the boss of the shop pointed out to him it wasn't actually a 6 ......

iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bought an XE ESP 250 efi many years back. Nice car. Anyway it had a miss under load at certain rpm and the tacho would jump. Always used to do my own stuff but with this car I thought I will take to someone for services etc as I cbf'ed. Went to Ultratune across from work. Asked for a service told them about the miss and asked if they had a dyno as it only occured under certain load conditions and rpm.

Got car back and mechanic tells me I got big problems "cam must have jumped a tooth" as he is at the limit of distributor travel even after moving it a tooth and cant get enough timing but it should be ok. Still misses on way home. RRGGGHHHH!!!!

Decide to look into myself.

He has the distrubutor clamp done up hard against the block, completly missing the distributor flange. The reason it was out of travel was it was hitting the bloody clamp! So was just sitting in loose. Pull dizzy, replace extremely worn bush, insert in correct location and clamp up. Beautiful, miss gone. Go back to give them a mouthful and discover that their "dyno" is just a pair of rollers with no load capability anyway.

Aaarrgghhh....Don't get me started.

Then there was the guy that.........
66FAIRLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
psychoticgroove
SRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82XD393.3v
sounds like they went to india for there qualifacation
ahahhaha that is gold!!!

I'm Indian
though not on paper anymore

His- 2014 Jeep GC SRT
Her- 2012 Territory TS TDCI
psychoticgroove is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #11
BOSHOG
avenge me

i once dropped a company vehicle off at ultra tune for a service and was waiting for my lift back to the workshop when my phone rang. it was ultra tune telling me the car was ready to pick up, funny i was leaning on the bonnet the whole 30min it was parked out the front. i walked in to the office and asked if it was ready and the girl threw me the paperwork and keys, needless to say, the boss wasnt happy
Old 25-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #12
carnige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
i once dropped a company vehicle off at ultra tune for a service and was waiting for my lift back to the workshop when my phone rang. it was ultra tune telling me the car was ready to pick up, funny i was leaning on the bonnet the whole 30min it was parked out the front. i walked in to the office and asked if it was ready and the girl threw me the paperwork and keys, needless to say, the boss wasnt happy

ohh my god u win thats gold. i thought i had it bad. i think ultra tune needs to be boycott.

when i had my AU XR6 i had it put on gass, i had a bit of problems with it so i took it to ford to see what they can do for me. they told me that the guy that put the gass on put the wrong system on he told me that i had a 4cyl Toyota system not a 6 cyl ford. i was under the impression that the systems were pretty much the same just the injection system that was different. any i was told that having spring loaded clips on the air box will help the back firing. so i told them to get a set and put it on... when i went down to pic the car up i lifted the bonnet and had a look at my nice new spring... lol they took all 8 clips off and replaced them with one spring clip... i had a look at my recite and it said they put on 8 clips charged me $7 each for them and 2 hours work to put them on...

i marched striate back up to the office. to have a spit at the boss. he came out to have a look and said yer they couldn't find a hole set they only had one laying around the work shop. said they wont be able to get any until tomorrow. he went way and i went to get in my car, there was Greece all over the seats. so i went back to get the boss and he grabbed some spray and a cloth and spent 20 mins scrubbing my shea he was not happy.

the nexed day i went back to get my clips and i was there for only 5 mins when they out them on, i didnt bother to complain about the 2 hours they charged me the day before to put them on when it only took 5 mins.
carnige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
thats a bit sad , the dealer i worked at as an apprentice ,they had a road tester who was a fully qaulified mechanic check over the car before it was returned to the customer, even rattles and squeeks they had a test track, i don`t know what its like now , but in the older cars to do a major service by the book was a dam lot of work to be done in a short time ..........and a lot of the work might be checking over stuff , , anyway i hope you find a good bloke, i must confess i bought my au from a suzuki dealer, when i took it back for warranty work the young mechanic thought one of the stabiliser bar supports which was obviousely bent was ment to be like that , its a worry.
We had a QC when I was at Honda, then I realised that how the hell does one person check over 50 cars a day, while waiting for us to finish them without staying back to midnight?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #14
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah ultratune years ago about 1991 when they first came to Townsville tuned up my v8 and it wouldnt idle smooth very crappy down low . Went back they said I needed to change my lifters on the left side of the engine dont know how they worked that out.
They had the idle mixture screw on the drivers side an extra 2 turns out more than the left side.Told another guy and he told me of someone who went there and had the mixture screws sitting in the intake manifold rather than in the carby when he picked his car up
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #15
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

Ultra Tune is all franchised and is like any franchise, there are good and bad locations........ Most of my experiences with Ultra Tune have been positive.

(no, i don't work for them)

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #16
holland_ford

to me i find the best mechanics are the ones that are on the outsirts of the city you know ,the guys that arent always as busy as the other guys they have more time to work on your car and do things properly
holland_ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #17
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do most of my own work, however, I have a good spanner spinner and he makes the odd mistake in tuning, nothing fatal tho.

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 11:22 PM   #18
Pattey215900

Try the independants "non franchise" as it is vital for them to keep customers coming or they will go under. Go in rather than book ovr phone suss out who's working on your car. Once youv'e found a good mech stick with them
Pattey215900 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 02:15 AM   #19
FgNewbie
Australia

I lost track of the number of mistakes mechanics made including leaving tools in body parts and trying to do the same job twice. Eventually I was lucky to find a really brillant guy that loved his work. He retired last year so now I'm giving a dealership a try. I'm over it.

The biggest screw up was courtesy of a big name tyre place 20 yr ago. They fitted new tyres and off I drove happy as ever. 10 km later something didn't feel right so I pulled over. Everything seemed ok. Another 2 km I stopped mid corner and got out to check again, the front left wheel was barely hanging on to stuffed studs. The mongrels didn't do the wheel nuts up. Since then I always check my nuts.
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #20
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by FgNewbie
I lost track of the number of mistakes mechanics made including leaving tools in body parts and trying to do the same job twice. Eventually I was lucky to find a really brillant guy that loved his work. He retired last year so now I'm giving a dealership a try. I'm over it.

The biggest screw up was courtesy of a big name tyre place 20 yr ago. They fitted new tyres and off I drove happy as ever. 10 km later something didn't feel right so I pulled over. Everything seemed ok. Another 2 km I stopped mid corner and got out to check again, the front left wheel was barely hanging on to stuffed studs. The mongrels didn't do the wheel nuts up. Since then I always check my nuts.

on a serious note, im over mechanics in my home town so for anything i cant do myself i now drive 2.5hrs to see the guys at autotech. its worth the drive to see someone care for your pride and joy
Old 26-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #21
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ultra Tune here in Pialba Hervey Bay look after a couple of people i know and seem ok but i know manager,yet ive heard some real horror stories ,there work is good but when it comes to charging for parts that are not fitted or second hand they are a disgrace, deadset thieves
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #22
zdcol71
zdcol71

Never had a problem with Midas, the one I went to last race BMWs, and there seemed to be all manner of enthusiast cars lined up. One of the few places that I have found that don't do anything not requested without first asking and there is no surprise with the prices,(straight tune/service work ie, always quoted up front.
Old 26-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #23
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I went through some dodgy mechanics when I first stated driving... got recommended one guy who was a good friend of my neighbour and he has been my mechanic ever since. He actually let me drive his car over to the wreckers and get the parts while he worked on my car so it wouldn't cost me as much labor. TOP bloke and wouldn't let anyone other mechanic touch my car. You'll find someone good, just takes time
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #24
greens_tuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FgNewbie

This happened to us...

When I was a kid, we were washing the XF and I took the hub caps off to clean them and I was able to turn the wheel nuts with my fingers...

It's either that or they over tighten them...
greens_tuf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #25
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where are you in Adelaide? I've recomended Le Fevre Auto to quite a few people now - they are on Victoria Road near the Sub Corporation. I have only had a few occaisions when I've used Profix (Modbury) or Ultra-tune (Golden Grove) which I've been more than happy with, but i'll always try to get my car to LeFevre.

Hope you find a good mechanic and when you do - stick with them.

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #26
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Exclamation

Didn't want to add to this but what the heck ...i have only been mechanicaly minded for 5 years or so , always knew someone who i could trust to make my fords quicker...
Well after buying a territory diff centre 2nd hand that i was assured would fit by a reputable (k-mart use them)diff and gearbox shop , shock horror 2 x days and many $$$ later i had paid for what i thought was a completes M86 cradle and cv-shafts out of a wrecked XR8 to make the 4.10s work !!

Fast forward 3 x years and after the supposed M86 gearset failed , i went to Aussie diffs in Currumbin and had a talk to Greg and Mark... Umm nope Daz thats a m78 std XR diff and the pinion was set up wrong thats why your gears are now junk!!

So now i have my original 3.45 back in it but now with a tight LSD and it is NO slower over the 1/4 then the incorrect set up 4.10's BAH....
I now strongly recommend aussie Diffs

I even bought a (supposedly) turbo tailshaft off the "other" mob because i wanted to run NOS , the only difference i can tell is mine is a shiny black colour and most i see are rusted looking with no paint... time will tell i s'pose if it breaks .. i am so over bullshitartists on the Gold-Coast..
Do not ever tell someone you want it because it fits and you read it on a car forum.. find someone who has a strong reputation - Ask their experiences first and listen to THEM !!

My 2c anyway ...Daz...x...

Last edited by Road Games; 26-08-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #27
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

a mate got a new radiator in his xr6

"pick it up mate, she is fine to go....

I get a call "There is a terrible smell.

Is it running hot I ask?

Nah something just stinks... was the reply ... Perhaps they missed with the coolant and left some residue on the headers, was all I had for him as a suggestion over the phone...

Fast forward 5 mins... Old mate rings back, stopped at a set of lights and it won't go... there is smoke coming from under the bonnet... "Won't go as in stalled?"
"Nah engine is fine just smoke and no go forward on the green light..."

After driving to have a look for him, it was like follow the oil slick from his mechanics down the road for a few klms...Until I see a marooned XR sitting on the curb with hazards blazing.

Pop the bonnet and straight away notice the cooler lines where not put back in the radiator!!!!!!

Trans fluid from ear to ar$e.

As soon as you start the car, it pumps oil out of there super speedy...

How can you replace a radiator and not run the car to check the fluid levels?

How can you stand there and watch a customer drive off with a pool of oil trailing out the back of the car?

How could you not take the time to notice the huge puddle of ATF on the floor when they moved it out of the workshop??

He was lucky as far as saving the trans goes, THey picked up the bill for the tow truck and trans service kit, detailed his car but still... The mind boggles...

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #28
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

It's scary that you live in brisbane, I am gathering this story originated from up here?
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #29
Qwik6
Unsafe @ any Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarrge2001
Ultra Tune is all franchised and is like any franchise, there are good and bad locations........ Most of my experiences with Ultra Tune have been positive.
Totally agree.
All my Ultra Tune experiences have been positive in 2 locations.

By HEINRICH PERFORMANCE & TUNING

E Series Falcon Image Museum on FB
https://www.facebook.com/pages/E-Ser...29864000453208
Qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 11:14 PM   #30
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au

It's scary that you live in brisbane, I am gathering this story originated from up here?
yes it did, but my mate came around this arvo and I showed him the thread on AFF....

He isn't a wannabe, or a label shopper but he had some valid points in his mechs defence..

His mechanic is a 'A" class mechanic and has not dropped the ball since:-

He rectified the problem, went above and beyond to keep old mates patronage... not because he needed the customer but because he was genuinely embarrassed.

The problems were not with his skills turning spanners but the phone and admin of his business. The distractions were counterproductive to his business. He was forever running back and forth to the phone; the irony is that his customer service and knowledge ACTUALLY started to have adverse affects on his ability to focus on what he was good at. Fixing cars.....

He now has an office girl and is putting out quality work again apparently.

While mine was an anecdotal story for this thread, it shows there are those that have knowledge and aptitude for automotive repairs and those that just couldn't get a job doing anything else.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post