Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Large Hadron Collider ‘to shut down for a year’

Looks like we will have to wait until 2012 for the end of the world as we know it because of it unleashing a black hole, 2012 marking the end of the world maybe true then

Quote:
Large Hadron Collider ‘to shut down for a year’

The Large Hadron Collider, the world's biggest atom smasher, will shut down for a year to repair mistakes that were made in its construction.

By Ben Leach
Published: 9:17AM GMT 10 Mar 2010

Faults in its construction will delay the large hadron collider reaching its full potential for two years Photo: PA
Dr Steve Myers, a director of the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN), which built the collider, said the machine will close at the end of a 2011.

The collider is expected to reach world record power later this month at 7 trillion electron volts (TeV) in its bid to replicate the big bang that started the universe.

Try switching it off, and then on again But Dr Myers told the BBC that the faults will delay the machine reaching its full potential of 14TeV for two years.

"It's something that, with a lot more resources and with a lot more manpower and quality control, possibly could have been avoided but I have difficulty in thinking that this is something that was a design error," he said.

"The standard phrase is that the LHC is its own prototype. We are pushing technologies towards their limits."

"You don't hear about the thousands or hundreds of thousands of other areas that have gone incredibly well.

"With a machine like the LHC, you only build one and you only build it once."

It is the latest in a series of setbacks for the world's largest machine, which was first launched in September 2008 amid an international fanfare.

But just nine days later, the £5bn LHC suffered a spectacular failure from a bad electrical connection.

Fifty-three of 1,624 large superconducting magnets - some of them 50 feet long - were damaged and had to be replaced.

Then in November 2009, it emerged that further problems had been caused by a small piece of baguette dropped by a passing bird which landed in a piece of equipment on the surface above the accelerator ring.
Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/l...or-a-year.html

ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 12:58 AM   #2
3vXT

Quote:
...further problems had been caused by a small piece of baguette dropped by a passing bird which landed in a piece of equipment on the surface above the accelerator ring.
Yeah i hate it when that happens.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
Yeah i hate it when that happens.
Thats funny

5 billion pounds of investment thwarted by a bird and a baguette

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Disappointing, I have been a follower of this project for some time.
I am very keen to see it at full strength in 2012.
Old 16-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Disappointing, I have been a follower of this project for some time.
I am very keen to see it at full strength in 2012.
Yeah, I too am sick of life :

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont stress, they'll never get it to work - its being sabotaged by the future!!

http://www.news.com.au/technology/la...-1225788270808
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
aye you
The Origional, The Best

just for the conspiracy theorists among us. They are trying to replicate the big bang. Now Stephen Hawkings has proved that the universe is constantly expanding, and will do so for all time, what to say that if the LHC is able to sucessfully produce a big bang even, that it will not continue to exand just as the origional big bang, effectively destryoing everything we know? Just a thought....
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by aye you
just for the conspiracy theorists among us. They are trying to replicate the big bang. Now Stephen Hawkings has proved that the universe is constantly expanding, and will do so for all time, what to say that if the LHC is able to sucessfully produce a big bang even, that it will not continue to exand just as the origional big bang, effectively destryoing everything we know? Just a thought....
Perhaps those ancient Myans are correct after all??

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11291110

Perhaps I should go to the bank and have a chat about refinancing for that Yellow Ferrari I have always wanted...
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Waste of time should be building flux capacitor's and flogging them off at harvey norman's instead..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you've got to wonder at the conspiracy theorists who believe what they heard about a collider from a priest instead of the scientists who built it.
Quote:
The collider is expected to reach world record power later this month at 7 trillion electron volts (TeV)
FYI, a 100W globe burning for 1 hour = 2.2 x 1024 electron volts WOW! thats 2.2 Trillion TeV or 2.2 Trillion Trillion electron volts
Old 16-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
you've got to wonder at the conspiracy theorists who believe what they heard about a collider from a priest instead of the scientists who built it.
FYI, a 100W globe burning for 1 hour = 2.2 x 1024 electron volts WOW! thats 2.2 Trillion TeV or 2.2 Trillion Trillion electron volts
"Please explain"?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Haha, "spectacular failure".

Should be "Epic fail".
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
A child riding a pushbike to school every day generates more energy than a Phase 3 GTHO doing a quarter mile run.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I just want to know how CERN is the acronym for European Organisation for Nuclear Research.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #15
3vXT

To be honest, if it doesn't involve cloning dinosaurs then wtf is the point?
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #16
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I just want to know how CERN is the acronym for European Organisation for Nuclear Research.
CERN started out as Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire, or the European Council for Nuclear Research.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #17
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aye you
Just to clarify, they are trying to create conditions exactly like there were just after the big bang, it would be impossible for them to actually replicate the big bang.
Old 17-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #18
Jim83
V8 Driver

The whole thing seems like a massive waste of money to me. The "big bang" has only ever been a theory that has never (and almost certianly will never) be proven.
Jim83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #19
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
Dont stress, they'll never get it to work - its being sabotaged by the future!!

http://www.news.com.au/technology/la...-1225788270808

Oh... holy c***

Compose myself.

That is the single greatest thing I have read this year.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #20
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
A child riding a pushbike to school every day generates more energy than a Phase 3 GTHO doing a quarter mile run.
Not if it is the extra polarising model
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #21
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dyslexic Nymphomaniacs are looking forward to the large hardon collider reproducing the big bang.
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #22
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
"Please explain"?
sure thing, pauline
my point is that it's not as extreme as some people seem to thing it is. 7 trillion electron volts is about a 700W.

this guy explains it better than i ever could.
http://www-bd.fnal.gov/public/electronvolt.html
Old 18-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #23
blueline
ambitious but rubbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Waste of time should be building flux capacitor's and flogging them off at harvey norman's instead..
nah forget it, there is no future in time travel...

www.themanifold.me
blueline is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #24
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire

In Europe, most people do not speak English as their first language (just like USA )
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #25
xwgasaxe
under new management

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewR_AUII
Dyslexic Nymphomaniacs are looking forward to the large hardon collider reproducing the big bang.
Old 19-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #26
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim83
The whole thing seems like a massive waste of money to me. The "big bang" has only ever been a theory that has never (and almost certianly will never) be proven.
*WARNING - SCIENCE LESSON*

The Big Bang is not a theory. It is a hypothesis. People seem to confuse the two, especially with respect to the theory of evolution (really the theory of natural selection).

A hypothesis is basically an educated guess. This guess can be supported or refuted, based on experimental evidence. Lay people often take this definition to apply for the word theory as well.

A theory is the explanation of a set of observable facts. A hypothesis/set of hypotheses can become a theory if there has been found no evidence to disprove it by many independent groups of researchers AND if it can make predictions about other related phenomena.
Old 19-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #27
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The big bang and evolution are theories, certain aspects of each of the theories are considered fact e.g. testable predictions (science), this observable data is what the "theory" is based on. Although neither have been proven fact, certain data is made fact, the theory has just not been fully proven, but yes a hypothesis is supported by evidence we assume is true.
Old 19-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #28
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
In Europe, most people do not speak English as their first language (just like USA )
A number of people in the US (think George Dubbya) don't speak English as their first language.
Old 19-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #29
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf
The big bang and evolution are theories, certain aspects of each of the theories are considered fact e.g. testable predictions (science), this observable data is what the "theory" is based on. Although neither have been proven fact, certain data is made fact, the theory has just not been fully proven, but yes a hypothesis is supported by evidence we assume is true.
Sort of.

Yes, theories are used to explain observable facts. They are also used to make testable predictons. A hypothesis that is supported by a lot of evidence is known as a fact. A fact is hypothesis that is so firmly supported by evidence that we assume it is true, and act as if it were true. —Douglas Futyuma

In science we can't ever call a theory a fact, that just isn't the way it works. And only in Maths can we really have "proofs". You just have your terminology a little bit off. I can easily use the case of evolution to explain the terminology nuances.

We have the fact of evolution - fossil record, experiments done on mice and bacteria in many experiments, the case of the Galápagos finches, fruit flies etc.

We also have the Theory of Modern Evolutionary Synthesis, which is a series of interconnected statements that are the best possible means of explaining how the facts of evolution occur. This theory makes accurate predictions and is capable of explaining all of the facts of evolution. This does not make it proven, it only says that it is the best current means we have of explaining the facts.

Finally, we have Lamarckism, Transmutationism and Orthogenesis, all examples of hypotheses made to explain the facts of evolution. These hypotheses were discarded because they made incorrect predictions and did not explain the facts of evolution to a high enough degree.
Old 19-03-2010, 11:34 PM   #30
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bird
Sort of.

Yes, theories are used to explain observable facts. They are also used to make testable predictons. A hypothesis that is supported by a lot of evidence is known as a fact. A fact is hypothesis that is so firmly supported by evidence that we assume it is true, and act as if it were true. —Douglas Futyuma

In science we can't ever call a theory a fact, that just isn't the way it works. And only in Maths can we really have "proofs". You just have your terminology a little bit off. I can easily use the case of evolution to explain the terminology nuances.

We have the fact of evolution - fossil record, experiments done on mice and bacteria in many experiments, the case of the Galápagos finches, fruit flies etc.

We also have the Theory of Modern Evolutionary Synthesis, which is a series of interconnected statements that are the best possible means of explaining how the facts of evolution occur. This theory makes accurate predictions and is capable of explaining all of the facts of evolution. This does not make it proven, it only says that it is the best current means we have of explaining the facts.

Finally, we have Lamarckism, Transmutationism and Orthogenesis, all examples of hypotheses made to explain the facts of evolution. These hypotheses were discarded because they made incorrect predictions and did not explain the facts of evolution to a high enough degree.
Agreed.
Except on the bacteria, as this is micro-evolution (bacteria mutates and changes, but always remains bacteria) not macro evolution (where an organsim evolves to a new creature/species).
The galapagos finches (are you referring to Darwins finches??) is more a matter of variation within a species, e.g lengths of birds beaks than evolution.
Not sure on the fruit flies? Are you referring to how scientists do genetic experiements on the fruit flies because of the short time each generation takes?