Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-03-2010, 02:22 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Invisible star 'shooting comets at Earth' Scientists Watch Too Much Star Trek !!!

Invisible star 'shooting comets at Earth'

By Paul Sutherland at The Sun From: NewsCore March 12, 2010 3:56PM

AN invisible star responsible for the extinction of dinosaurs may be circling the Sun and causing comets to bombard the Earth, scientists said.

The brown dwarf - up to five times the size of Jupiter - could be to blame for mass extinctions that occur here every 26 million years, The Sun reports.

The star - nicknamed Nemesis by Nasa scientists - would be invisible as it only emits infrared light and is incredibly distant.

Nemesis is believed to orbit our solar system at 25,000 times the distance of the Earth to the Sun.

As it spins through the galaxy, its gravitational pull drags icy bodies out of the Oort Cloud - a vast sphere of rock and dust twice as far away as Nemesis.

These "snowballs" are thrown towards Earth as comets, causing devastation similar to the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

Related Coverage
First images from high-tech telescope NEWS.com.au, 18 Feb 2010
Invisible beauties of our skies Daily Telegraph, 18 Feb 2010
NASA on hunt for distant galaxies Adelaide Now, 15 Dec 2009
NASA blasts off space mapping satellite NEWS.com.au, 14 Dec 2009
Green object streaks across sky Courier Mail, 19 Nov 2009

Now Nasa scientists believe they will be able to find Nemesis using a new heat-seeking telescope that began scanning the skies in January.

The Wide-Field Infrared Survey Explorer - expected to find a thousand brown dwarfs within 25 light years of the Sun - has already sent back a photo of a comet possibly dislodged from the Oort Cloud.

Scientists' first clue to the existence of Nemesis was the bizarre orbit of a dwarf planet called Sedna.
Scientists believe its unusual, 12,000-year-long oval orbit could be explained by a massive celestial body.

Mike Brown, who discovered Sedna in 2003, said: "Sedna is a very odd object - it shouldn't be there.

"The only way to get on an eccentric orbit is to have some giant body kick you - so what is out there?"

Professor John Matese, of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, said most comets come from the same part of the Oort Cloud.

He added: "There is statistically significant evidence that this concentration of comets could be caused by a companion to the Sun."

:

Old 13-03-2010, 03:00 AM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I wouldn't worry, even if they are right, the next encounter is 15 million years away. See http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/...s-nemesis.html Even if Ford is still in business I doubt we will be around to see it happen.
Old 14-03-2010, 02:01 AM   #3
BHDOGS
Banned

fascinating absolutely fascinating 15 million years to go i reckon we would have wiped ourselves out by then anyway but if not im sure we will have worked out a way to stop comets.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 03:22 AM   #4
gocruzin
Ford tragic

I read a similar thing only they called the brown dwarf nibiru.
And it would cause a mega tsunami in 2012 on some such
Old 14-03-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
steamin63
old skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Invisible star 'shooting comets at Earth'

By Paul Sutherland at The Sun From: NewsCore March 12, 2010 3:56PM

AN invisible star responsible for the extinction of dinosaurs may be circling the Sun and causing comets to bombard the Earth, scientists said.

The brown dwarf - up to five times the size of Jupiter - could be to blame for mass extinctions that occur here every 26 million years, The Sun reports.

The star - nicknamed Nemesis by Nasa scientists - would be invisible as it only emits infrared light and is incredibly distant.

Nemesis is believed to orbit our solar system at 25,000 times the distance of the Earth to the Sun.

As it spins through the galaxy, its gravitational pull drags icy bodies out of the Oort Cloud - a vast sphere of rock and dust twice as far away as Nemesis.

These "snowballs" are thrown towards Earth as comets, causing devastation similar to the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

Related Coverage
First images from high-tech telescope NEWS.com.au, 18 Feb 2010
Invisible beauties of our skies Daily Telegraph, 18 Feb 2010
NASA on hunt for distant galaxies Adelaide Now, 15 Dec 2009
NASA blasts off space mapping satellite NEWS.com.au, 14 Dec 2009
Green object streaks across sky Courier Mail, 19 Nov 2009

Now Nasa scientists believe they will be able to find Nemesis using a new heat-seeking telescope that began scanning the skies in January.

The Wide-Field Infrared Survey Explorer - expected to find a thousand brown dwarfs within 25 light years of the Sun - has already sent back a photo of a comet possibly dislodged from the Oort Cloud.

Scientists' first clue to the existence of Nemesis was the bizarre orbit of a dwarf planet called Sedna.
Scientists believe its unusual, 12,000-year-long oval orbit could be explained by a massive celestial body.

Mike Brown, who discovered Sedna in 2003, said: "Sedna is a very odd object - it shouldn't be there.

"The only way to get on an eccentric orbit is to have some giant body kick you - so what is out there?"

Professor John Matese, of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, said most comets come from the same part of the Oort Cloud.

He added: "There is statistically significant evidence that this concentration of comets could be caused by a companion to the Sun."

:
this theory was proposed back in the 1950's.a number of prominent scientist agree with the basic concept. maybe you should watch more "star trek" and not so much home and away.
Old 14-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It wasn't that long ago that a number of the most prominent scientists in the world all agreed that the Sun rotated around a flat earth.

And more recently:
Matter cannot be created or destroyed.
There is nothing smaller than an atom.
It is impossible to travel faster than light.

etc. etc. etc.

Lots of theories tend to crash and burn.......heard much about Global Warming, I mean Climate Change (because it suddenly went cool again, bugger) lately.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
It wasn't that long ago that a number of the most prominent scientists in the world all agreed that the Sun rotated around a flat earth.
If you call ancient Greece not that long ago.

People like Plato, Pythagoras and Aristotle knew the earth was spherical.

The flat earth theory was only embraced by idiots and religious zealots lol
Old 14-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #8
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
fascinating absolutely fascinating 15 million years to go i reckon we would have wiped ourselves out by then anyway but if not im sure we will have worked out a way to stop comets.
I doubt the human race is smart enough to work out a way to stop comets lol even in 15million years time...

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Feasible. Just wish they wouldnt word the article to imply that this brown dwarf only exists to make Earths life miserable. Besides, it is only speculation that the Cretaceous–Tertiary extinction event was caused by asteroid impact. Another equally plausable theory is volcanic activity. That, according to mainstream belief, is just not as cool as an asteroid...
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
If you call ancient Greece not that long ago.

People like Plato, Pythagoras and Aristotle knew the earth was spherical.

The flat earth theory was only embraced by idiots and religious zealots lol
When the time scale is 26,000,000 years, yes, Greece 500BC is not that long ago.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #11
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
When the time scale is 26,000,000 years, yes, Greece 500BC is not that long ago.....

Ahh well I thought you were speaking of human history, which 500BC isn't really that long ago either really.

Anyway, this theory in the OP is much like most fringe theories, throw a little unknown into the mix and people start filling in the gaps themselves.

Did you know some people believe that our sun has a companion sun making it a binary system?

Like Sirius.
Old 14-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #12
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Personally, i believe the general theory; in that yes, the gravitational pull of one object can influence another. luckily for us, the scale in which "time" is represented means we are but a minor blip on the universe's radar. a comet could be ten times closer and still we probably would not feel any ill effects for thousands of years.

flappist, i might be being picky here, but isnt the term you're looking for actually "energy cannot be created or destroyed(only transfered)?"

if the term you used with matter in place of energy is also correct, no worries.

and if my memory of year 11 physics is anything like it should be, i thought light was the fastest travelling thing in the universe? again, if im wrong, im happy to be corrected.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 12:02 AM   #13
rodderz

I can just see it- 2012 there will be some people making an absolute fortune from some sort of product/service arising from a fear campaign about some sort of world ending event, with the doomsdayers believing them

It will be like Y2K all over, but 10 times as worse
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 08:24 AM   #14
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
What prominent scientists were around 26,000,000 years ago?
cs123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #15
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Damn. Someone call Bruce Willis, Ben Afflek and that dude from Fargo with the funny mouth. Oh, and let's not forget BillyBob Thornton and his prosthesis. Actually, this is such a huge scale we may need to call Morgan Freeman too, just to be sure.

Let me guess, Global Fearmongering (read warming) fell over so now NASA needs to justify increases to its budget by cooking up another alarmist scare campaign?
Sorry, but the scientists of the world who fell for and pushed the latest UN wealth redistribution scam have lost a lot of credibility; frankly they're full of it.

Quote: