Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
2fishingdogs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Hybrid Commodore by 2010

Interesting read, what will Ford's reply be?
hybrid commodore

2004 BA MKI Tradesman Ute 1 tonner in Vibe
Tinted windows, Alloy scuff plates.
The rest is still stock as a rock
www.bseries.com.au/2fishingdogs

2fishingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
boss-290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishingdogs
hybrid commodore
A diesel Falcon.
Old 19-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check out the caption under the picture, current top-selling?
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Green stripes on gts? We could have already been steps ahead with diesel, hopefully it will come before this hybrid.
Old 19-05-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK250
Check out the caption under the picture, current top-selling?
Not current or top selling!

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

hehehe just reading further down a 4 cylindrr commodore anyone hear camria there lol wondering how well it will do next time round.

if i had to choose between hybrid or diesel i would be going diesel at least you would still have some power to use, i could see a hybrid commodore as being quite weighty

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 08:06 PM   #7
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Ill believe it when I see it- One of Holden's chief engineers said the future was LPG. And as for Diesel, well weve been hearing the rumours for years.

4 Cylinder Commodore... Shudder. Does anyone else remember the Starfire?

The power of a 4 with the economy of a 6. Ive had the misfortune to drive a Corona fitted with one, made my Hillman feel quick.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #8
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are enough Hybrid/Diesel engines (either floating around now or in the final stages in development) in the Ford family for el presidente to go overseas and hand pick one.

The 2009 Ford Fusion update is getting a Hybrid option - http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...d_fusion_spied
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 08:14 PM   #9
BHDOGS
Banned

Hopefully ford dont waste there time building a hybrid engine and build a big and better v8 for my to thrash
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #10
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I don't think Ford need to do much to reply to that. I'd expect the price of a Commy hybrid to be at a premium, sure to offset petrol prices for a number of years.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 08:36 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

There has already been a hybrid commy i'm certain.

It was done as a promotion during the 2000 Olympics, called the ECommodore, it used modified shell (think cross between the coupe and the 4dr), but still was a 4 dr sedan, just sleeker looking.

It had low profile / large diameter wheels, but had stoopidly thin tyres, like a 185 or 195 (special one of size perhaps?) this was to reduce rolling friction.

Also think it was a 4cyl with a battery pack.....

Wonder if they went ahead with further R&D where it would be now.. but then again with petrol being what it was 8 years ago there would have not been a market for it.

Edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecommodore

Edit again:

http://www.fastlane.com.au/News/Holden_ECOmmodore.htm

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 19-05-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 08:39 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Why do journos take what someone says and turn it around. Nowhere did they confirm thats its going to happen, the GM guy said they were looking at it and it might become available in a couple of years. Suddenly its been confirmed for 2010. No chance. It would be a pretty huge engineering job an they would be lucky to have it on the market by 2013, where do they fit the batteries. Structural engineering changes would be required.

Hybrids aren't the answer anyway, who's going to pay another 5-10k for a Hybrid Commodore, it would take 20 years just to make the fuel savings back, and by then you would have probably needed to replace the batteries anyway nullifying the savings. I find it hard to see how tens of millions of dollars in R&D is ever going to be payed back by limited sales of Hybrids. Hybrids are a con that only attract hippies that want to look they are saving the planet. Diesel is a much better proposition, easier to implement and potentially higher selling too.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #13
Need_a_V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I don't think Ford need to do much to reply to that. I'd expect the price of a Commy hybrid to be at a premium, sure to offset petrol prices for a number of years.
Its the same deal with the Prius mate. If you've driven one you'd agree that they are a POS and are quite expensive also. Yet they've sold 1 million of the things.

Holden are appealing to the government for a tax break as a hybrid commodore would be 20-30% more expensive than a standard commodore. (7-10 grand).
Need_a_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 08:49 PM   #14
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

i wonder how many times that will be recalled in 2010
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #15
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Batteries
in a PRIUS cost $3500 to replace and if you have a
major accident and cables are exposed
you cann't go near it !
Old 19-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #16
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Why do journos take what someone says and turn it around. Nowhere did they confirm thats its going to happen, the GM guy said they were looking at it and it might become available in a couple of years. Suddenly its been confirmed for 2010. No chance. It would be a pretty huge engineering job an they would be lucky to have it on the market by 2013, where do they fit the batteries. Structural engineering changes would be required.

Hybrids aren't the answer anyway, who's going to pay another 5-10k for a Hybrid Commodore, it would take 20 years just to make the fuel savings back, and by then you would have probably needed to replace the batteries anyway nullifying the savings. I find it hard to see how tens of millions of dollars in R&D is ever going to be payed back by limited sales of Hybrids. Hybrids are a con that only attract hippies that want to look they are saving the planet. Diesel is a much better proposition, easier to implement and potentially higher selling too.
Geez. People are going to start to think we're the same person. Agreed 100%. Reminds me of a rather apt Soutpark episode. The economy you can get from Peugeots or Volkswagen diesels is astounding. You'd feel hard done by if you weren't getting 1000kms out of a 55 litre tank. Their emissions are also exceptional.

I'll go further than my last post and suggest a Hybrid large sedan Commy would be financial suicide.
Old 19-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #17
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_a_V8
Its the same deal with the Prius mate. If you've driven one you'd agree that they are a POS and are quite expensive also. Yet they've sold 1 million of the things.

Holden are appealing to the government for a tax break as a hybrid commodore would be 20-30% more expensive than a standard commodore. (7-10 grand).
I think the Prius captured the imagination of the gullible public that thought they were going to save on fuel to justify the higher initial outlay as well as leave a smaller carbon footprint. It's since been proven to be bollocks. It'd be a ballsy manufacturer to expect another gullible wave.
Old 19-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #18
2fishingdogs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well holden would be gutsy enough. They just have to make some bull and the general public would eat it up.

2004 BA MKI Tradesman Ute 1 tonner in Vibe
Tinted windows, Alloy scuff plates.
The rest is still stock as a rock
www.bseries.com.au/2fishingdogs

2fishingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 10:11 PM   #19
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
There has already been a hybrid commy i'm certain.

It was done as a promotion during the 2000 Olympics, called the ECommodore, it used modified shell (think cross between the coupe and the 4dr), but still was a 4 dr sedan, just sleeker looking.

It had low profile / large diameter wheels, but had stoopidly thin tyres, like a 185 or 195 (special one of size perhaps?) this was to reduce rolling friction.

Also think it was a 4cyl with a battery pack.....

Wonder if they went ahead with further R&D where it would be now.. but then again with petrol being what it was 8 years ago there would have not been a market for it.

Edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecommodore

Edit again:

http://www.fastlane.com.au/News/Holden_ECOmmodore.htm
4 door Monaro anyone?

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
Old 19-05-2008, 10:13 PM   #20
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

I can see the Smug clouds coming already!!!

DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 10:23 PM   #21
Dezza
Parts bin special

Speaking of hybrids, I saw a Prius Taxi on Saturday!

Old 19-05-2008, 10:35 PM   #22
Need_a_V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I think the Prius captured the imagination of the gullible public that thought they were going to save on fuel to justify the higher initial outlay as well as leave a smaller carbon footprint. It's since been proven to be bollocks. It'd be a ballsy manufacturer to expect another gullible wave.
Most sales are fleet sales I believe, trying to portray a green front.

GM are already sending the Chevrolet Volt here, so they are expecting it to sell (despite Mooney saying himself it just doesnt make sense).

The technology has come a long way from the Prius though, the second gen prius and chevrolet volt should make it slightly more viable and if Holden get a tax break from the government that will help alot.

If the diesel and hybrid options were the same price, I would see alot opting for the hybrid.
Need_a_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 10:47 PM   #23
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
hybrid commodore
A decent Diesel which is much more interesting after all the toyo offering is ugly gutless and nothing that I would own so I expect the same from gmh being a yank company
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 07:26 AM   #24
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_a_V8
Most sales are fleet sales I believe, trying to portray a green front.

GM are already sending the Chevrolet Volt here, so they are expecting it to sell (despite Mooney saying himself it just doesnt make sense).

The technology has come a long way from the Prius though, the second gen prius and chevrolet volt should make it slightly more viable and if Holden get a tax break from the government that will help alot.

If the diesel and hybrid options were the same price, I would see alot opting for the hybrid.
Any word on prices? Compare the price of a new Prius to that of a diesel Focus. You're looking at ~6k in favour of the Focus. I'd suspect the economy between the two also wouldn't be that far off. I know I'd be opting for the Focus.

If the GM offering is roughly the same as the price of a comparable diesel then it probably will sell well to those ignorant to the economy and performance of diesel. If it's more expensive, then a decent marketing campaign from any company that offers a small diesel could sink the car before it even hit our shores.
Old 20-05-2008, 09:01 AM   #25
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

Quote:
Well holden would be gutsy enough. They just have to make some bull and the general public would eat it up.

Spot on
Old 20-05-2008, 10:42 AM   #26
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza!
4 door Monaro anyone?

Oops. Look here:
http://www.netcarshow.com/holden/200...odore_concept/

Old 20-05-2008, 12:26 PM   #27
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People who buy the Prius mean well and want to help the environment. I have no complaints there.

However, these are the same people who leave lights on when they aren't in a room, leave their TV on overnight and forget to turn it off, burn off leaves when it can be used as mulch - which helps to limit evaporation around plants...

My point is that saving the world starts in your own home and not in the car yards.

Anyway, the Prius is superficially a green car, but I have heard that just to produce one, the amount of rubbish released is so great, that there is no benefit in driving a Prius.

If people want to be green, then take public transport, ride a bike, or walk!

If Commodore released a green option, it will sell well as they'll put on the green front and people will be attracted to that. It might be ugly, sluggish and boring like the Prius, but people won't care.

It's sad, as am I.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 12:40 PM   #28
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
hybrid commodore
This is Holden's reply.
Falc is more economical

holden is in catch up here

and ....
- Hybrids do not usually pay for uplift in price in a typical 'lease' lifetime

so they would not be a big seller - only private, and then likely only greenies
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 12:43 PM   #29
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
People who buy the Prius mean well and want to help the environment. I have no complaints there.
I have some complaints with Prius, I'm a bit worried with a million of them and more with other hi-breds on the road.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium_oxide
&
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium_nitrate

May have more to worry about.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #30
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it is a smoke and mirrors distraction while Falcon launches
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post