Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 30-07-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
mrgtsx
Starter Motor

Default buying xr6

gday lads im about to buy a tow car and i have narrowed my choices down to the ef/el xr6 sedan. now what im wanting to know is the differences between the ef and el xr6 and what main problems should i be looking for thanks heaps guys

mrgtsx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
BRADMAN
BA Mk2 XR6 Turbo

didnt the EF have problems wid da coil packs or did they fix it in EF2?

brad

Blue Power Airbox, Sunroof, Typhoon Wheels, Brembos, Prem Sound, Momo Chunky Wheel, Genuine FPV Gauge Holder, Whiteline Swaybars, Lowered, Tinted Windows, 60lb Injectors, Plazmaman Cooler, Hot Side & Under Battery Pipes, 4" Dump & Cat, Process West Surge Tank & Bosch 044, Turbo Inline Oil Filter
BRADMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJSPENCER85
didnt the EF have problems wid da coil packs or did they fix it in EF2?

brad
Come again?
BI6TIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
webby_191189
low wagooon

I think he actually mean 'with the' lol

Body wise the EL has a better looking front. Head gaskets can be a problem but dont let them worry you to much. See if they have a service history. See how the auto feels shifting gears or how the manual feels.

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2007, 12:01 PM   #5
yahoo189

yup betta looking front AND they ironed most niggles by then...
Old 01-08-2007, 06:49 PM   #6
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Basically the same mechanically, except EF had coilpacks whereas the EL went back to a dizzy.

Blown headgasket and oil leaks are common issues. Also cracked firewall if its a manual.

The exterior had slight styling differences as the others said and the material on the interior is a different colour/style.
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

IMO it would depend on what options it has and what price its going for.

Differences aren't big enough to sway ether way, and each car is going to be completely different. I think an EF XR with a kit looks just as good as an EL XR; but EL XR with a kit is even nicer.

As said above, service history is key, as for HG's, well, your going to do one sooner or later so either get a V8 or get one that has the cooling system well looked after.

I had an EL ghia (which is basically a EL XR6) and it was pretty much faultless. Brought it with 215,000k's, sold it with 243,00k's and never had a problem. Although its first service I did get a new radiator and hoses etc just incase.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #8
mean & green
EL XR6

Thumbs up

good no nonsense car ,with a bit of style and go straight out of the box,get one that has been looked after and you cant go wrong :

i love mine :
mean & green is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post