Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #1
XRLNT-8
Monsoon SIII XR8 220

Default exhaust boom

Hey all,

I have a 2002 XR8 Auto with a 2.5inch single cat back exhaust with one magnaflow stainless box. At 2000-2300 rpm the exhaust booms and gets a bit annoying in the cab. Would a resonator at the back cure this or is there another solution?

Cheers,
Sly

ps. The note is fantastic at all other rpms and have had lots of comments

XRLNT-8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRLNT-8
Hey all,

I have a 2002 XR8 Auto with a 2.5inch single cat back exhaust with one magnaflow stainless box. At 2000-2300 rpm the exhaust booms and gets a bit annoying in the cab. Would a resonator at the back cure this or is there another solution?

Cheers,
Sly

ps. The note is fantastic at all other rpms and have had lots of comments
Yes, a resonator/hotdog should fix any droning issues.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
Sledgehammer
Banned

Yep. Agree the resonator should fix this.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Be carefull....I had a 2.5" system with a muffler before diff & a hotdog/resonator at the end.....and it droned badly. Made the car vibrate, deafening on the freeway &I got filthy looks from other motorists. Just to give you a hint how loud it was, when I pulled into the driveway my colorbond fence would rattle.

I think they need another muffler at the rear.....not a hotdog.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #5
XRLNT-8
Monsoon SIII XR8 220

Thanks for the speedy replies! That makes me feel a whole lot better, as you probably know, 2000-2300rpm is where the car is a lot of the time, it's ok when you're coasting but I'm starting to cringe when putting on a little power.

Cheers,
Simon
Old 21-05-2007, 09:51 PM   #6
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

you know how its loud when you drive past parked cars and set their alarms off
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2007, 10:31 PM   #7
HLC
Audi S3

my cat back system is quiet i reckon

one lukey muffler, and a mercury hot dog. not loud enough. although if you take out the hot dog they sound crap i reckon. and 3" exhausts are just NOISE. hahahah

maybe extractors will make the note a little louder.
Old 21-05-2007, 11:28 PM   #8
markxr6t

I'm getting my au2 xr8 220 fitted with a 2.5 inch cat back with Lukey sports muffler and rear hotdog installed on Saturday so I'll let you know!
markxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2007, 11:44 PM   #9
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Just took my exhaust off after the cat and went for a cruise. Geez it rumbles at idle, and it's only a 6... only if I could keep the rumble, and keep the car at a legal dB limit...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 01:00 AM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Thanks for the speedy replies! That makes me feel a whole lot better, as you probably know, 2000-2300rpm is where the car is a lot of the time, it's ok when you're coasting but I'm starting to cringe when putting on a little power.

Cheers,
Simon
Yep, it's much worse on a 6 too. But at least yours being an 8, it's an easy fix - just add hotdog (or small round rear muffler, known as a resonator)!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 01:17 AM   #11
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

i have no cats "whoops" a twin system with a muffler on each bank then and mandrel bent pipe al;l the way to the rear bumper no resonators and mine doesnt drone. Sounds good but!!
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 02:03 AM   #12
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Just took my exhaust off after the cat and went for a cruise. Geez it rumbles at idle, and it's only a 6... only if I could keep the rumble, and keep the car at a legal dB limit...
hahah yea my exhaust fell off at the cat once too, so i just ripped it off and drove home like that, popped into a shopping center (undercover) haha and let it rip, 6 cylinder too, but yea next day, had a highflow cat, 2 and half inch system installed with 1 muffler, sounds freaking mean even for a 6, glennau3 has heard it.
51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 03:02 AM   #13
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

I have a 2 1/2 inch system from the cats back with one muffler and then 2 1/2 pipe ending between the fuel tank and the bumper which is facing down as the heat from the exhaust made the bumper to hot and soft. It sounds awsome and no dronning in the cab either :
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 08:38 AM   #14
james22
With da Warlords

Just remove the resonators in the middle and put some straight thru pipe in. That'll fix your problem lol. Sounds good too

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2007, 09:45 AM   #15
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

I've only experienced this with I6's but adding a hotdog helps. You keep the same noise level but get rid of the droning. Make sure its a hotdog though and not one of the larger resonators that looks like a muffler as these will fix your droning problem but will quieten down the system a bit more. In my XR6 I run a magnaflow stainless straight through box with a hotdog in the rear - sounds great when you get up it, when cruising droning is not an issue but still has a great note.

Liquid Silver / Manual / Leather / Momo Wheel & Shifter / Premium Sound / Lovells Superlows / Koni Reds / T3 Pursuit Rims / Pacemaker 4499s / 2.5 Inch Exhaust
Oo_xrsx_oO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #16
XRLNT-8
Monsoon SIII XR8 220

Just an update guys...

Had stainless resonator added today and the droning has completely gone (yay!), so too has the aggressive note : . Overall much happier though, don't cringe when powering up!

Cheers,
Sly
Old 29-05-2007, 09:57 PM   #17
XRLNT-8
Monsoon SIII XR8 220

<: RANT MODE ON :>

Hey all,

Am now at my wits end! Had stinger resonator installed and now the drone is gone (much quieter overall too : ) but worst of all under hard acceleration I get this sound like compressed air going thru a funnel! Looks like another trip to the exhaust shop. Grrrr. I thought having a windsor would be easy to get a good note out of...

Q. Is it REALLY possible to have a louder than stock sound with no drone at all (auto) in a single system? (twin system guys can now smirk with confidence)

<: RANT MODE OFF :>
Old 29-05-2007, 10:13 PM   #18
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lueoval
hahah yea my exhaust fell off at the cat once too, so i just ripped it off and drove home like that, popped into a shopping center (undercover) haha and let it rip, 6 cylinder too, but yea next day, had a highflow cat, 2 and half inch system installed with 1 muffler, sounds freaking mean even for a 6, glennau3 has heard it.
Yeah i love the sound of manual 6's with an exhaust. Very nice.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 02:30 PM   #19
markxr6t

Quote:
<: RANT MODE ON :>

Hey all,

Am now at my wits end! Had stinger resonator installed and now the drone is gone (much quieter overall too : ) but worst of all under hard acceleration I get this sound like compressed air going thru a funnel! Looks like another trip to the exhaust shop. Grrrr. I thought having a windsor would be easy to get a good note out of...

Q. Is it REALLY possible to have a louder than stock sound with no drone at all (auto) in a single system? (twin system guys can now smirk with confidence)

<: RANT MODE OFF :>

I had a single 2.5" installed on Saturday with Lukey Sports straight through muffler and rear resonator. No drone under light throttle application, slight drone (but not unpleasant or high pitched) under mild load (eg up a hill staying in a high gear) and awesome mechanical music at all other times!
markxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post