Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-04-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
In Australia it's the Finke (Bathurst of the bush)

https://finkedesertrace.com.au/

I'd buy a Raptor Ranger if I lived in the Alice
I don't live in Alice, but the more I think about it, the more I'd rather like a Raptor.

While I still think a 2.0l twin turbo diesel would be a great performance engine in a fiesta or focus, I'm also thinking, it's not a drag car. This is designed for dirt road/off road, and realistically, how much power do you really need?

I was working remotely the last couple weeks and had to drive back to town a couple days in to pick up a workmate then out again then back home. If this vehicle would give a better ride on those roads... yes please!
The downside being, I have to take the work vehicle. They're not purchasing anything like that either!

Unfortunately I don't have 80k, and there's also one other problem. 500km to the nearest Ford dealer if anything goes wrong on a brand new model.
I'd probably end up leaning towards a Toyota.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
I don't live in Alice, but the more I think about it, the more I'd rather like a Raptor.

While I still think a 2.0l twin turbo diesel would be a great performance engine in a fiesta or focus, I'm also thinking, it's not a drag car. This is designed for dirt road/off road, and realistically, how much power do you really need?

I was working remotely the last couple weeks and had to drive back to town a couple days in to pick up a workmate then out again then back home. If this vehicle would give a better ride on those roads... yes please!
The downside being, I have to take the work vehicle. They're not purchasing anything like that either!

Unfortunately I don't have 80k, and there's also one other problem. 500km to the nearest Ford dealer if anything goes wrong on a brand new model.
I'd probably end up leaning towards a Toyota.
Our work utes in NW WA are doing up to 20000km a month on harsh dirt roads that are absolute shyte at times. We have destroyed a Dueller 697LT (to the canvas) in 15000km which in my opinion is the toughest AT tyre on the market - I’ve got a photo of one somewhere after 12000km. The original suspension on the Hilux’s are changed out immediately which is painful because the bloody things are carrying no weight. A Raptor in those conditions would shine - we’ll never see em at work but I’ve travelled enough of Oz’s shytehouse roads to appreciate what this vehicle represents for people that will use it. For those who have never travelled extensively around Oz you’ll never get it - the vehicle is pointless.
I went to cut accoss to Halls Creek a few years back on the Buchanan hwy (500km of dirt) and turned around after 20km and went via Catherine - to say the road was wrecked would be an understatement. I’m just happy Ford are now catering to those who want to use a Ranger more than towing a caravan and light duty weekend stuff. It will only get better too. I’d be happy to see the rear go IRS which I reckon it will in the future.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
articulatedsphinx

Not a lot of people know this but Ford actually makes a special version of the raptor f-150 for the US government, specifically the border patrol.

Totally stripped down, no leather etc, just a hard fleet truck with a great suspension.

I think it would take off here if they did something like that with the ranger, but unlikely obviously.

Here's some info for the curious:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...atrol-edition/
articulatedsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2018, 02:58 PM   #4
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by articulatedsphinx View Post
I think it would take off here if they did something like that with the ranger, but unlikely obviously.

Our border is brittle- Raptors would help
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2018, 02:21 PM   #5
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/201...nd-drive-spied

New little vid too.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post