Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 22-01-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Default Wreckers - Any Fiestas?

Do you guys think it would be worth searching for a wrecked Fiesta? And where on earth would i look? Do some wreckers stock newer cars then others?

Im after a few parts for the Fiesta that are stock... but damn expensive! Ford Service guys quote so much for parts that clearly cannot be that much!

I'm after a few things for the interior etc, but wouldnt mind a FULL SIZE spare - although it will add to weight!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 06:00 PM   #2
LUXO_8
windsor user

can i just ask, why do you need a fullsized spare?... exactly how often do ya need to use it? will a full sized wheel fit in the space left in the car for the space saver??
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 06:06 PM   #3
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
can i just ask, why do you need a fullsized spare?... exactly how often do ya need to use it? will a full sized wheel fit in the space left in the car for the space saver??
Considering I have had about 3 nails in my tyres, and a close call about 1 week after paying $210 a tyre, i think i should get one, especially considering i do about 25000km a year, and use the car every day of the week.... driving long drives quite often. Yes it does fit in the space left in the rear... cause that is where the punctured tyre goes (16 inch). Not to mention the space saver has a piece of rubber ontop of it to fill in the space!

But yes, im after a few other things as well. I would like to get the mechanisms (clips) that hold the window attached to the power window engine. Seems this should set me back $500 at Ford : The window was $320 all up so far, making the window about a $1000 repair (with tint). Quite outrageous in a $18500 car if you ask me! Really, they must be making a 200% markup on what it costs....

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 22-01-2006, 06:12 PM   #4
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

I also wouldnt mind a few parts here and there. Pick and Payless might be an option but probably a 0.1111111% chance of finding a wrecked fez. i have a few wreckers around near me so that might be another option. But concidering the car is still fairly new i think its gonna be extremly hard.
Old 22-01-2006, 07:58 PM   #5
Danny
GT4.

Cars that are in wreckers are cars that have been written off and sold to the wreckers. Cars that are 10 years plus are quite common at wreckers becasue they are at the age where they become written off easily i.e. they will be written off for even a small amount of damage, meaning that you can find cars that age that are in good nick.

In the Fiesta's case, they've been out only since 2 years ago, and they are still worth a bit. This means that any damage that would write a Fiesta off would probably be pretty massive damage, and in most cases they would not be written off yet, hence the absence of them in wreckers.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 09:12 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ive only seen 1 Fez at a wreckers up here and it was totalled, whole drivers side gone, so you wouldnt get anything out of it.
Old 22-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #7
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Ive only seen 1 Fez at a wreckers up here and it was totalled, whole drivers side gone, so you wouldnt get anything out of it.
Is it still there?!??!?!?!? Cause, i need stuff from the left (passenger) side!!!!

Old 22-01-2006, 10:26 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

I'll check tomorrow, have to go out that way.Tis a white LX.
Old 22-01-2006, 10:32 PM   #9
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
I'll check tomorrow, have to go out that way.Tis a white LX.
Sweet.... let me know the condition of the wheels, and also if the left door is still intact (i need a part from inside the left door that makes the window go up and down - not the motor... its a clip)

So its a 3 door then? Otherwise it might be useless.... not sure if they use the same thing

Old 22-01-2006, 10:48 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

From memory it is a 5 door. I actually saw what happened to it, it got hit by a Forester, and I know its at the wreckers cos it was being loaded onto their truck as I drove past the accident scene. Its still there now too, or at least it was a few days back.
Its a white LX, to be honest I wouldnt touch wheels off a wrecked car, but I'll have a look at it and see what its like.
Old 22-01-2006, 11:07 PM   #11
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
From memory it is a 5 door. I actually saw what happened to it, it got hit by a Forester, and I know its at the wreckers cos it was being loaded onto their truck as I drove past the accident scene. Its still there now too, or at least it was a few days back.
Its a white LX, to be honest I wouldnt touch wheels off a wrecked car, but I'll have a look at it and see what its like.
Cool thanks. And bummer.... 5 door. I will have to find out if its a common part for the window to work.... I also need a rubber on the front side of the door that the window runs in... as mine is cut now from the fragments of glass that cut into it.

Bummer... totalled from an accident with a small 4wd.

How do they put a price on the parts?

Old 22-01-2006, 11:15 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

not sure really, i guess they work out what its worth as compared to the price of the part new. different wreckers have different ways of pricing stuff. i'll tell yuo though - the ones here, especially the one that has this car - are extortionists.

I'd consider buying a wrecked LR Focus whole if someone wanted to go in it with me and take some parts etc.
Old 22-01-2006, 11:24 PM   #13
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Oh ok, interesting... I will be going to Ford again on wednesday to get quotes again and try and bargin them down. Cause i found it REALLY odd that they didnt call me straight away to let me know that the part was broken... but wrote it and the price in bold on the receipt for the work they DID do. Which leads me to believe they have broken it themselves as it was the first window they replaced. Hell, i was worried about taking my car to them because 10 years ago they broke my dad's EA Fairmont windscreen and did not tell us... till we demanded to know why our EA was still there!

Hopefully i can work a $$$ with them...

Old 22-01-2006, 11:31 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Go and straight out ask them. You'll be able to tell by their reaction if they broke it or not.

I'd suggest buying in bulk - find a good guy in spares (SOMETIMES they do exist!: ), hit him up for trade price on as many items as you want to buy then buy it all in one hit, should get you a decent discount.
Old 22-01-2006, 11:49 PM   #15
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Go and straight out ask them. You'll be able to tell by their reaction if they broke it or not.

I'd suggest buying in bulk - find a good guy in spares (SOMETIMES they do exist!: ), hit him up for trade price on as many items as you want to buy then buy it all in one hit, should get you a decent discount.
Ummmmmmm, well i only have two more things to get. I have been to them for parts a few times though. Got a few optional stuff, as well as Servicing always with them and also getting a mirror from them and fitted by them.

Although, i didn't buy the car from them... :

Old 23-01-2006, 11:04 AM   #16
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Wreckers - any Fiestas?

Teki, since i recently put the 16inch zetec focus wheels on i had my four original steel wheels with the turanzas lying around.

So i figured id replace the space saver with one of the steelies.

the 195/50/15 wheel fits in the tyre well perfectly but is slighly wider than the space saver with the rubberish ring. But still fits.

The only other issue which was REALLY REALLY annoying since the wheel is a little wider and the plastic cup looking thing with the metal twisty thread thing doesnt fit into the hole in the wheel properly, so there insnt enough thread to be able to screw it all into place to keep it secure. :P (sorry dont know the names of these parts)

So what i did is i found my biggest drill piece and attacked the hole in the plastic cup, i bored it out so that the metal screw in piece could sit in deeper, and therefore it could screw in.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 03:38 PM   #17
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
Teki, since i recently put the 16inch zetec focus wheels on i had my four original steel wheels with the turanzas lying around.

So i figured id replace the space saver with one of the steelies.

the 195/50/15 wheel fits in the tyre well perfectly but is slighly wider than the space saver with the rubberish ring. But still fits.

The only other issue which was REALLY REALLY annoying since the wheel is a little wider and the plastic cup looking thing with the metal twisty thread thing doesnt fit into the hole in the wheel properly, so there insnt enough thread to be able to screw it all into place to keep it secure. :P (sorry dont know the names of these parts)

So what i did is i found my biggest drill piece and attacked the hole in the plastic cup, i bored it out so that the metal screw in piece could sit in deeper, and therefore it could screw in.
Well Mitch, i get nails so frequently that i now dont even bother screwing it down... that and the fact i get so many things falling under the tyre :

Old 24-01-2006, 11:47 AM   #18
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Oh well if you dont screw it down theres no problem lol.

Go for your life.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 11:42 PM   #19
b2tf
not here much anymore

Righto, went and had a look at the Fez today - she's $@%&*. Not a chance in hell of getting anything off it. Impact was pretty bad, whole car slants over which has thrown the doors out of whack etc, oneof the door trims had a crack in it, not sure if this was from the crash or not though.

But the worst thing - no windows, water damage, dirt and dust all through it. There's no way I'd get anything off it.