Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 06-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
a pirate

Default WS and WT hidden dash pocket

Hi all,

I spent some time pondering in my fiesta...looking for a location to mount a reversing screen (new bub and a difficult parking location at home would be made easier and safer with a camera installed to see below the rear window) and wondered what was behind the panel below the head unit. After some time trolling on the net and I discovered that there is a hidden dash pocket.

I opened it up with two plastic rulers one in each corner and some force..... Ive stolen the pic/link from the original owner "Tunnel rats 2012" on http://www.fordownersclub.com

It was pretty good right up so I thought id share it with you guys....

".......I have no idea why Ford decided not to use it, but it's not too difficult to make use of....
I have seen some people fit a latching catch here, but the problem I see with this idea is that it is difficult to fit and as the door has to be pushed in to unlatch, so when the door is closed it always looks slightly open.

Firstly you need to remove the door panel. This can be done by inserting a plastic trim tool into the gap and levering to release the clip.
To stop the door permanently closing, simply remove the metal clip from the dash or cut the plastic pin off the door"

In my fez Ive decided not to use any magnets or clips as my door is pretty firm so ill wait till it keeps flopping open before doing something more permanent.

The storage space measures 12cm across by 4cm high and 15cm deep so its a decent size to hide ipods phones etc
hope you enjoy
Andy

Use to have;

2005 Mazda 3 SP23 highly modified with 130fwkw
2000 Nissan Pulsar LX
1988 Toyota Celica GT coupe
a pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: WS and WT hidden dash pocket

Saw this post, went and had a play. 10 mins later.
A little random tab thing found around the house, a bit of sticky tape and it is easily opened without looking open all the time

[IMG][/IMG]

Nothing like a little fiesta surprise.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
a pirate

i thought i could help..... great little pocket....though quite deep and stuff could be easly lost down the back making it hard to grab them again.

Use to have;

2005 Mazda 3 SP23 highly modified with 130fwkw
2000 Nissan Pulsar LX
1988 Toyota Celica GT coupe
a pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh ive found that. its ok for stuff i dont touch often, like a packet of tissues, or some petrol receipts.

i will have to one day make a proper clip so it doesnt open a bit as i drive on rough roads. but all good for now.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

I undid mine and had a push latch in it. worked a treat but admittedly got over it. I was going to put a CB radio in it recently as i do a fair bit of interste driving but changed my mind as I am selling.

The push latch I got was from rapidonline.com. the part numbers were 31-0050 and31-0055. the latch glues perfectly in the hole up the top where the old one way latch went and the male part easily goes on the door piece (trust me it works and sits quite flush when shut).I may be able to find the latch bits somewhere if anyone wants them.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
trumpy73

That sounds great mate. I'll take it off ya if you don't want it.
trumpy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
vhcbm

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

I'll have to find it.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
simonmichael90
LZ Titanium Focus

I used this spot to mount my gps.
The width of the pocket is exactly the same as a standard number plate, so I trimed one up to provide a mount for my gps to attach.
Worked really well, with the addition of a ruler underneath for stability. I am a bush handyman, as you can tell. Use whatever I have around the garage.
simonmichael90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
Pursya

Pics please.
I'm not really sure how you've done this
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #10
simonmichael90
LZ Titanium Focus

I haven't got a pic and have since sold my fiesta, so I can only describe what I did.
I slide the number plate into the space and then "dry positioned the gps mount (round adhesive base), so that it sits just in front of the dash.
I then drew around this circle so that I knew what to cut away.
I used a coping style saw, so was able to get it shaped nicely, with virtually no number plate visible once installed and gps fitted. Added a shortened wooden ruler under the plate later to minimize the vibration. The little door was removed for this mod.
Worked well for the couple of years, until I sold the car.
Only issue was you can't see the hazards and door lock buttons, but I never had to use them and if I did could just look over the top of gps screen to see them.
I brought the garmin Ecoroute HD for the OBD2 port, that via Bluetooth sent various information straight from the port to be displayed on the gps (Ecoroute screen).
Eg. Battery voltage, digital speed, manifold pressure and engine temp etc. (very handy)
I actually used the manifold inlet pressure to determine there was something wrong, and after looking in the engine bay realized that the air intake from air box to the turbo had partially come off. Reducing airflow and reducing power. Obviously a diesel fiesta.
simonmichael90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
vhcbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpy73 View Post
That sounds great mate. I'll take it off ya if you don't want it.
Can't find it mate. Terribly sorry. If it ever turns up I'll let you know however they aren't expensive if you want to just buy some yourself.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #12
trumpy73

no worries mate, I might take the plunge. I like that shop anyway.
trumpy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post