Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-08-2005, 11:14 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default AFF 2005 Brake Test

Thanks to the kind assistance of xa-coupe, Laminge, Trevor Haines (TeamGT) and Russell at Heathcote Park we have completed testing of three different BA braking systems today.

The article can be found HERE

I'll get some pics posted up later this evening.
Please post comments and questions in this thread.

Regards
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2005, 12:04 AM   #2
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

A VERY informative article guys. WELL DONE on compiling all the data. Quite interesting to note the oddball results @ the 100km tests.
A little suprised that the results were so cut & dried actually - thought that there wouldnt be such a dramatic performance difference - but the results DO speak for themselves!!!
Anyone care to supply an EA for 160-0 brake testing?? I know of a good 50m braking area that ends with a concrete wall to conduct the brake test upon.(also need a volunteer to pilot though)
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2005, 12:34 AM   #3
Filthy GT-P
Saving Water Filthy again

As usual Russell and all of the people who took part and assisted excellent work and unbiased presentation of the data in an easy to read and understand format.

Having just gone through my first set of pads and discs on my GT-P I was a bit surprised at the cost, but what price can you put on your and your loved ones lives. The brembo package may be expensive, but from personal experience and your report they really do work.

Regards

Steven
Old 07-08-2005, 12:37 AM   #4
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Thats a awesome write up some Real informative data, at 100 k's there isn't a lot of difference like some of the slower speeds.
Good work guy's, xa-coupe, Laminge, Russ, Trevor Haines & Heathcote Park Raceway.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2005, 12:47 AM   #5
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The photos from the day are up now and can be found HERE

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 07-08-2005, 01:10 AM   #6
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An informative test / article, appreciate the time taken by the guys involved and thier willingness to share the results for all.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2005, 01:47 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Great article Russ. I don't suppose you'd have any data for AU1 XR8, AU2/3 XR8 with standard brakes, and then each with premium brakes just to compare. I would imagine the AU1 to AU2/3 differences would be along the lines of BAXR8 to GT-P differences.

It would also be worth comparing a stock BAXR8 with aftermarket (DBA or RDA) slotted and/or cross drilled rotors, to see if this is an economical and effective upgrade to standard brakes - and to see how close this setup gets to either the premium (possible) or Brembo (dreaming) setups.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2005, 02:08 PM   #8
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8
Great article Russ. I don't suppose you'd have any data for AU1 XR8, AU2/3 XR8 with standard brakes, and then each with premium brakes just to compare. I would imagine the AU1 to AU2/3 differences would be along the lines of BAXR8 to GT-P differences.

It would also be worth comparing a stock BAXR8 with aftermarket (DBA or RDA) slotted and/or cross drilled rotors, to see if this is an economical and effective upgrade to standard brakes - and to see how close this setup gets to either the premium (possible) or Brembo (dreaming) setups.
As you can imagine the logisitcs for this type of testing are fairly demanding. Having said that if enough people are prepared to volunteer suitable cars then I'm happy to run another set of tests to collate that data.

I'd suggest the following as a reasonable comparison:

AU with standard brakes
AU with Premium brakes (ie: AU1/2 T-Series or XR8 with the option package)
AU/BA with DBA brake package
AU/BA with RDA brake package
AU3 with Brembo package

To make this work we would require the following:

1. Weighbridge weights (without driver) for all the cars to establish ballast requirements.
2. A control set of tyres/rims for all cars to use. Easy enough for all except the AU Brembos which require different wheel offsets.
3. Similar track conditions to the BA set run yesterday or a re-run of the BA set along with the AU's.

A set of 10 runs (and I don't know that I'd want to run a stock braked AU to 160 km/h and still stop in time) takes about 20 minutes to complete so even the 5 vejicles listed above would require three and a half hours plus cool down time for the tyres.

If you find enough volunteers or interested people want to respond to me via PM then we can schedule a time.

Regards
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 07-08-2005, 02:46 PM   #9
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Top effort, real handy. And goes to show, that even with the added weight of the GT/GT-P, the better brakes still pull up better. Also shows a true indication of how long/far it takes to stop a car.

Thanks guys
Old 07-08-2005, 02:49 PM   #10
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

One of the other interesting pieces of data was the total elapsed time (and distance) for the 0 to 160 and back to 0 runs. The cars weren't being driven hard in the acceleration phase.

The first graph below looks at the total elapsed times for all 3 vehicles but it should be noted that there are variances in the peak speed for each.

The second chart looks at the same numbers but this time for total elapsed distance.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 07-08-2005, 03:36 PM   #11
parawolf
beep beep

Russell, as per usual, an excellent article.

What would be REALLY interesting as a thought, would be to see how the distances compare with say 1/2 used pads or similar.

This certainly goes to show, any car that has had $$$ spend on upgrading the engine, its bound to be a death trap without a decent set of stoppers.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:55 PM   #12
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
Russell, as per usual, an excellent article.

What would be REALLY interesting as a thought, would be to see how the distances compare with say 1/2 used pads or similar.

This certainly goes to show, any car that has had $$$ spend on upgrading the engine, its bound to be a death trap without a decent set of stoppers.
The theory today would say that there should be no noticeable drop in braking performance as pads wear - we didn't make any effort to equalise the pad wear for this reason and each vehicle was running on various levels of used pads - over 1/3rd for the GT, similar for the GT-p and I'm not sure about the XR-8.

With consistent pad material throughout the wear cycle and calipers designed to keep the piston / pad up near the rotor you'd expect little drop off in performance.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 07-08-2005, 06:48 PM   #13
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had pads with almost no wear.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2005, 11:19 PM   #14
XR6ST
Starter Motor

Great review, very well done. I have one question - what tyres were on each vehicle? Having read several tyre tests from motoring magazines over the past few years where they have carried out measured braking distance tests using different brands of tyre on the same vehicle, it appears different tyres can affect braking distances quite markedly.
XR6ST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 11:33 AM   #15
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6ST
Great review, very well done. I have one question - what tyres were on each vehicle? Having read several tyre tests from motoring magazines over the past few years where they have carried out measured braking distance tests using different brands of tyre on the same vehicle, it appears different tyres can affect braking distances quite markedly.
Well used SP9000s on both the GT and GT-P and SP3000s on mine.
Old 15-08-2005, 10:56 PM   #16
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

The report has been updated with some further analysis of the data.

HERE

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 16-08-2005, 12:16 AM   #17
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Brilliant work as always.

Certainly shows why Cam's brembo equiped GT-P nearly had 30 or so XD shaped impressions left in the back of his car after last years 3 day cruise! They must be stopping at least 5m better than the older cars. I'd be interested to run an absoloutly irrelevent comparison if you do another one of these tests just to see what the difference is.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 05:41 PM   #18
shane3
FPV GT 0915

With the GT and GT-P did they have the standard brake lines? Or stainless steel braided lines? As I know that they help with braking, as the brakes don’t go soft and spongy.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 07:16 PM   #19
anakha

What wheel/tyre combination was each car using and were the tyre pressures standardised?
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 09:27 PM   #20
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

both the GT and GT-P ran 18 inch SP9000s and I ran 17 inch SP3000s. The GT had different styled wheels but the same size. Both the XR8 and GT-P had factory wheels.
As for the pressures, mine were at their usual 40 psi and NFI about the others.
Old 16-08-2005, 10:33 PM   #21
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

To add to xa's comments - all pressures were at 40 for the start of the test.

All vehicles had their standard brake lines which means stainless for the GT-p; braided for the GT and standard for the XR8.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 17-08-2005 at 10:44 PM.
Old 16-08-2005, 11:44 PM   #22
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Well done guys, I never realised how serious FF.au was about the technical side of all things automotive. I love it.

A suggestion; if you do anymore tests on anything, maybe you could have a parts/fuel cost section before hand, I wouldn't mind donating parts to help out. just a though.

And again, fantastic effort hope there's more to come.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2005, 02:22 PM   #23
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute
Hmm Project XW VAN !!!!

Just came accross this as i havent been on much of late.
Great article. I love it.

Any idea how much weight was added to the xr8.
I know the test was done with all the weights being the same but the xr8 is a lighter car and i would have liked to know how all three cars would differ with thier factory weight.
I dont mean to mock the test or want to start anything but to me as the cars get heavier the brake package gets better. I hope you can see what I'm trying to say.
We all know that the brembo's are the best on offer. If you fitted brembo's to an xr8 it should out brake a GT-P due to the xr being lighter.

Cheers .......Kev

Yella Terra Supercharged

Power Output?
ENOUGH TO BREAK EVERY THING MORE TIMES THAN I CARE TO COUNT