Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 12-08-2005, 11:21 PM   #1
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default EL Ghia - Some advice

Hey, I own a EL Ghia V8, and well tonight, it finally hit 100,000 kays :(

Dissapointing, but ah well. Its a great car to drive, and we just cant help ourselves driving it all the time.

The car was purchased last year with 67,000, so we have racked up a fair few kays quickly..

What i wanted to know from you guys, is there anything i should be looking for ? An problems the windsor will through up after 100,000? Or Ghia electrics, or anything else ?

Its getting its 100,000 service tommorow, so things should be checked out, but I wanted some REAL ADVICE, unlike what Fraud (Ford) will give me

Steve

Old 12-08-2005, 11:24 PM   #2
Barry_v
rocknrolla

gee a few hundred thousand km more and the windsor might start getting tired

100,000 is nothing.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 12:25 AM   #3
John_LS1

yeah 100,000 kays is pretty old, better give it to me :P

if its regularly serviced then engine/trans/diff wise it will be fine for another 100,000. as for electrics they seem to just let go when ever they feel like, not much you can do to them to make them last longer.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 03:21 AM   #4
Walkinshaw
Two > One

100,000km and you have a windsor. Come back when it reads 400,000 and ask the questions again.

The trans will kick the bucket LONG before the Windsor. Preventitive maininance is key, even if you have the factory cooler, go grab the biggest aftermarket one you can for peace of mind.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 03:46 AM   #5
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Mine's almost clicked over 200,000km, the motor is like new still, uses no oil, no rattles etc (touchwood). The trans is currently sitting on the shed floor, with a new one going in tomorrow. I bought the car at 130,000km, and the original fluid was still in the trans, I've had the S5 replaced 12 months ago, which was probably to do with the shift kit I fitted anyway.

Some of the CC buttons are hard to push in, and the passenger front window regulator died a couple months ago.

Oh, ive seen pics of an NL 5.0 thats done 500,000-ish km and still had the hone marks....

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 10:03 AM   #6
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

My Ghia has done about 133,000. I bought it this time last year with about 112,000. The only problem I've had in that time was the inhibitor switch on the trans. That was easily fixed for $130. Other than that, the electric aerial hasn't worked since I bought the car and the drivers window sticks a little on the way up.

I think you'll find that if you look after the car, the car will look after you ;)

Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 02:13 PM   #7
tick5.0
Want some classic?

Mines done 145k now, but at about 120k a few years ago I had to have a heap of the cooling system replaced, radiator, thermostat housing, hose conection at the rear of the manifold, hoses and a few other things. All under warranty though. Take the engine covers off and have look I reckon. Im also up for some new pulleys as the're getting pretty noisey. Also on my third starter motor, second one fully re-co'ed apparently, lasted a year and a half.
EF II XR8, Supercharged manual *** FOR SALE ***
XC Falcon, waiting for the Clevo & C4 - Sold
AE101 Corolla, the daily - Sold
SII RX-7, original - Sold
BF II GT
Alfa Romeo 156 JTS, the new daily
Z31 300ZX Turbo
tick5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 02:18 PM   #8
EFFalcon
Last warning

I'd recommend getting the transmission fluid fully slushed.
and perhaps getting the LSD fluid changed if it hasnt been done.

LSD fluid change shouldn't cost much at all (i paid $20 + fluid cost)
auto service is around the $200 mark from memory, but if the trans hasnt had any service done before i'd deffinately do it.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2005, 12:07 AM   #9
pepsimax

why do people think once an e series hits 100 000 k's its all down hill,,unless there is something wrong don't worry about it,,just keep lovin it and it'll love ya back..
Old 14-08-2005, 03:40 AM   #10
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool thanks for the info guys.

No, i dont think its all down hill. We previously owned a EF ghia I6 that had hit 250,000 when we sold it. And it barely had any problems.

I just wanted peoples opinion and advice on any possibly problems to look out for.

Kenaz, I am having similar problems with the auto at the moment. However it only occasionally happens, which is making the "fault finding" from Ford and Auto Trans places a big problem.

Steve
Old 14-08-2005, 09:57 AM   #11
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
Kenaz, I am having similar problems with the auto at the moment. However it only occasionally happens, which is making the "fault finding" from Ford and Auto Trans places a big problem.
They had that problem with mine. It didn't register any codes for them to pickup and it didn't happen when they test drove it either. In the end they said we'll replace the inhibitor switch and hope for the best. Sure enough it worked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2005, 01:51 PM   #12
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool mate, sounds exactly like the problem I have.
Ill get them to replace that.
Thanks Champ

btw, my leccy arial started playing a while ago, (it stuck up) , but now it works only to half way, but does come back down again. Half way is fine, can still pick up all the stations good enough.