Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-03-2005, 01:58 PM   #31
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Can't wait to see your new Avatar then
Uncle_Ken
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 09:45 PM   #32
buickman
buickman

On the plus side with the carby cars its less expensive to tune for power. Plus the right car will gain value.

On the minus side is fuel consumption, handeling , brakes and body parts and interior trim are expensive and hard to find for most older cars.

On the subject of older cars I remember a 1963 XL falcon I owned when younger with shocking drum brakes all round with no pwr asst. A manual gear box with no syncro in first that you had to stop the car to change down to 1st gear plus the most dangerous factory fitted item ever fitted to cars the vacume wiper mtr. The faster you went the slower the wiper became. I think of the time that when I tried passing a semi going to QLD and it was raining the wipers stopped in the middle of the screen and you could not see anything in front of you.

Come to think of it the older cars are best kept as a hobby car and get yourself a later car, safer and easyier for parts and insurance.The performance import jap car could be a very expensive headache if needing mech repairs so have a plus and negative look at your options.
buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 11:58 PM   #33
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
On the plus side with the carby cars its less expensive to tune for power. Plus the right car will gain value.

On the minus side is fuel consumption, handeling , brakes and body parts and interior trim are expensive and hard to find for most older cars.

On the subject of older cars I remember a 1963 XL falcon I owned when younger with shocking drum brakes all round with no pwr asst. A manual gear box with no syncro in first that you had to stop the car to change down to 1st gear plus the most dangerous factory fitted item ever fitted to cars the vacume wiper mtr. The faster you went the slower the wiper became. I think of the time that when I tried passing a semi going to QLD and it was raining the wipers stopped in the middle of the screen and you could not see anything in front of you.

Come to think of it the older cars are best kept as a hobby car and get yourself a later car, safer and easyier for parts and insurance.The performance import jap car could be a very expensive headache if needing mech repairs so have a plus and negative look at your options.
buickman
I agree with you on this, if it were me i'd buy a newer car for the daily driver, and thats simply because i like my safety options and my comfort!
However i would love to have a nice XR or XT (non BA duh) in the garage for the occasional run.
Old 26-03-2005, 12:25 AM   #34
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

fuel schmuel, insurance? pffffft

Nah the idea would be to get the Landau and only use it as a daily for a while until a suitable shitter came up :P

If I go down the rice-mobile path be assured there is extensive research etc being put into it. I know what I'm doing, kind of, I have made good choices in the past. I bought 2 AUs didn't I?
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2005, 06:00 AM   #35
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

I know the where abouts of an AU that is a mirror image of the write off. You could buy that . Was the one i wanted to buy. On gas to.
Pretty cheap also.
I sooo still want to buy it but needed another e-series, to many good cars were skipped if i went from an EA to AU.
Old 26-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #36
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting, but I'm not sure if I want to stay in a AU just yet. The Fairlane 500 and the Landau both sold which is not surprising :( The XC is still about so far, just going to take too long to be ready to buy with the final assessment (which I don't give a shit about as I will not owe RACV a cent no matter what) and then the release etc etc.

Sorry to all the die hard blue bloods but it's looking more and more like an import for me. Although this does hinge on the 'driving experience' in each ;)
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
Old 26-03-2005, 12:56 PM   #37
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get a mustang, that can be classed both as a classic and as an import!!!
Old 26-03-2005, 01:11 PM   #38
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I am going to be talking to Craig Dean from Crossover Car Conversions
Old 13-04-2005, 07:06 PM   #39
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.pickles.com.au/servlet/Au...00844&check=ra
Old 13-04-2005, 07:10 PM   #40
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new wheels due this or early next week... apologies :P

Old 13-04-2005, 07:24 PM   #41
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice is S2 i.e 96-97 model? There awesome cars get some tien coilovers and the difference in handling is awesome : My mate had one and the engines feel so much more smoother and responsive than any other 6 i have driven. Add a cooler, pod/intake, wind up the boost and hello 200rwkw : I take it its 5spd?
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2005, 07:27 PM   #42
Cheahman
BOSS 260

very nice skyline mate, is it a turbo?

BA XR8
EB XR8
Cheahman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2005, 07:29 PM   #43
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's one of the S1.5 bitsa late 95 models. Another soft-o-matic but by my research that will save me a lot of clutch replacements. Completely stock only been in the country 12 months. Checked out perfectly

There is currently a gf induced ban on mods :P
Old 13-04-2005, 07:30 PM   #44
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who buys a N/A skyline? 'course it's a turbo ;) GTS25-T
Old 13-04-2005, 07:34 PM   #45
Cheahman
BOSS 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont99
Who buys a N/A skyline? 'course it's a turbo ;) GTS25-T
lol though it would have been, although theres is alot of N/A skylines around.

How did u go with insurance on a turbo? considering u just had an accident

BA XR8
EB XR8
Old 13-04-2005, 07:36 PM   #46
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheahman
lol though it would have been, although theres is alot of N/A skylines around.

How did u go with insurance on a turbo? considering u just had an accident
Cheaper than the Ghia by $500 or so! plus I get the first 12 months paid by my gap cover :hihi:
Old 13-04-2005, 07:39 PM   #47
Cheahman
BOSS 260

Thats good news then, I though it would have been worse being a turbo and import.Certainly is a nice car though, much prefer that than a ghia ;)

BA XR8
EB XR8
Old 13-04-2005, 08:06 PM   #48
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheahman
Thats good news then, I though it would have been worse being a turbo and import.Certainly is a nice car though, much prefer that than a ghia ;)
Give me the Ghia anyday.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post