Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-01-2019, 03:27 PM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default front parking sensors

Now this will only relate to those who live with nose in angle street parking.

There are a number of places around tis country where you stick vehicles nose in at 45* angle

preamble....after meeting a small kangaroo who decided that life wasn't worth living and to kill itself in front of my FG ute I now need to replace the front bumper, no lights damaged, only front right corner of bumper.

however I am mystified as to the stupidity of having parking sensors facing the front and not on the corners/ends/sides of bumpers esp when putting the nose in.

What I am thinking of is a hole as close to fog/driving light place as possible, thereby covering the angle and the other two in the black section of grill covering the area in front.

Your thoughts and opinions please.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: front parking sensors

Where kangie met his demise.

so I could place 1 in black part of grill (not shown,
other sensor could go any of the 3 options roughly drawn.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:06 PM   #3
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
however I am mystified as to the stupidity of having parking sensors facing the front and not on the corners/ends/sides of bumpers esp when putting the nose in.
Rear sensors I could under stand, but I was mystified when they put them on the front.
Most people know where the front of their car is.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:10 PM   #4
MustangStevo63

wish i had this problem (ok not the roo hit!)- the stang has a longer nose than Pinocchio and zero sensors up front - madness
MustangStevo63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2019, 05:58 PM   #5
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GasOLane I dont think Wagga has angle parking plus deep gutters, these 2 things make parking cautious. Plus the box on the back hangs out (still legal) and I dont want the utes rear end wiped off when parked.

Mustang Steve...thats crazy, but I guess they sell after market sets at inflated prices.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:28 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
GasOLane I dont think Wagga has angle parking plus deep gutters, these 2 things make parking cautious. Plus the box on the back hangs out (still legal) and I dont want the utes rear end wiped off when parked.

Mustang Steve...thats crazy, but I guess they sell after market sets at inflated prices.
We do and the front of my car is reasonable low.

Look on the bright side, you don't have the ridiculous reverse angle parking like some NSW villages have. You can tell the locals there, they all have missing Left Rear mud flaps.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:43 PM   #7
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Now this will only relate to those who live with nose in angle street parking.

There are a number of places around tis country where you stick vehicles nose in at 45* angle

preamble....after meeting a small kangaroo who decided that life wasn't worth living and to kill itself in front of my FG ute I now need to replace the front bumper, no lights damaged, only front right corner of bumper.

What I am thinking of is a hole as close to fog/driving light place as possible, thereby covering the angle and the other two in the black section of grill covering the area in front.

Your thoughts and opinions please.
Two options, get some and fit yourself, I think kits come with 4 sensors so possibly get two kits and integrate another 2.

Talk to someone who fits them and see if they can be fitted where you want rather than where he thinks. He will be trying to cover his rear saying where you want them they will false too much. I did a ring around recently and this is what one bloke says, he won't fit them to a standard XR6T because it's lower than a std car and will false too much. Others were glad to fit but some only fitted ones you had to manually turn on as you park. One person I contacted said his didn't need to be turned on manually but they were very dear. I am still deciding. F+B were between 6-800 fitted. Rears by themselves were cheaper but fronts were the dear ones.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:40 PM   #8
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I already have them, on the damaged bumper, they are also on a switch that I manually flick on when going into park....BUT now that I have a new bumper ready looking at more effective position.

My latest thinking is on a bar poking out side of front number plate, (straight forward warning and fitting into the fin on fog light frame.

Rear end I have 2 reversing cameras, can stop within an inch of anything.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:30 AM   #9
Fordblue1000

I actually put a camera on the front and rear of my xb. Used a 2 way switch to go between the 2 with a mirror that turned into a small video screen when needed. It made its value when a douch parked and boxed me in well and proper. I can easily see within half an inch of the front and rear of the coupe. So much easier this way. You hardly notice the cameras as the rear is the boot lock where the key goes in ( i put a manual release for that) and just above the number plate for the front. All up about 60 bux off ebay.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk
1963 morris.
1920 model T
Fordblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2019, 02:10 AM   #10
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangStevo63 View Post
wish I had this problem (ok not the roo hit!)- the stang has a longer nose than Pinocchio and zero sensors up front - madness
Owning a Mustang, I understand where you are coming from, with its long nose.

You can get a front-facing aftermarket camera that integrates into the infotainment screen installed... But it is rather expensive at $800 - $1000.
(I think Spoolman has one fitted to his Mustang).

Thinking outside the square, I think I have a cheap solution that would be very effective, and I am surprised nobody has thought of this.

You can buy a dashcam such as the 'kapture 850' for around $200 that has a Wi-Fi connection to your phone.
(I have two of these, one on the windscreen and one on the back window).

Now, if one was to waterproof the dashcam (using silicone sealant in the joints, microphone, and where the SD card goes, etc), you could mount one outside the car under the front bumper.

Another way to fully waterproof the dashcam, would be to simply get a Perspex box made up with a clear Perspex front side for the lens to see through, just big enough to house the dashcam and a hole to allow the power cable in, sealed via a rubber grommet and silicone.

Since the Kapture 850 dashcam is a skinny slim 'barrel type' dashcam with no built-in screen, it would be fairly discrete mounted under the front bumper.

You then mount your phone on a magnetic mount on the dash.

The dashcam sends a live video stream to your phone via built-in Wi-Fi.
If you mount your phone on the magnetic mount in the horizontal position, the live video will rotate and display in large landscape mode on the 5 inch or greater phone screen.... So you get a nice large picture and easy to see video.

Since the Kapture 850 dashcam has a wide angle lens with a 140-degree angle of view, it will not only show what is directly in front of your bumper but also to the front sides of your car.

When you know that you will be parking the car, you simply open the Kapture app on your phone beforehand, which will display the live Wi-Fi video feed from the dash cam.

The front bumper dash cam is wired and powered so that it is always on while driving, just like your normal windscreen mounted dashcam.

Last edited by GO FURTHER; 06-01-2019 at 02:29 AM.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2019, 09:03 AM   #11
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow Fordblue1000, GO FURTHER....that is thinking outside the square, considering I have a reverse camera that is working full time as my interior mirror, (big box on the back of ute),
pulling into parking spot press a button camera changes front rear to front and bingo.

thanks guys