Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-12-2014, 08:19 AM   #1
Ford Focus Fail
Starter Motor

Default Ford Focus Fail

How do turn a long term Ford buyer into someone who will now buy anything but a Ford? Easy, just sell them a Ford Focus with multiple FordSync problems and a faulty gearbox that Ford has known about for several years. Then just keep refusing to honour the warranty. Ford, your little scam will cost you a lot. Your Canberra dealer made a few dollars out of selling these faulty cars but has lost itself and you many repeat customers. Why buy a Ford when it and its Canberra dealer simply refuse to honour warranties?

Ford Focus Fail is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 08:41 AM   #2
martyal44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Focus Fail

Maybe highlights the need for 'lemon' laws?
martyal44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
Ford Focus Fail
Starter Motor

The fact that Ford and it's Canberra dealer sold cars that they both knew had serious faults in them that they never intended to repair is what disgusts fair and reasonable people.
Old 20-12-2014, 08:55 AM   #4
martyal44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is the car still on the road? Could you drive it over 200 km for a holiday and enjoy it and you could rely on it to get you there and back safely; and does it maintain a reasonable resale value? That's what would go through my mind.
martyal44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Shouldnt come to this but is there only one dealer in the ACT?

How are they not warranting the car? What is the issue exactly?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
Ford Focus Fail
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyal44 View Post
Is the car still on the road? Could you drive it over 200 km for a holiday and enjoy it and you could rely on it to get you there and back safely; and does it maintain a reasonable resale value? That's what would go through my mind.
No, is the short answer. It suffers from Sudden Stop Syndrome. SSS makes it turn off completely for no reason. Nearly got a B-Double up my exhaust pipe when it did it on the Hume Highway once. Told Ford about it but they refused to respond. the Canberra dealer just kept repeating its monotonous mantra 'no fault found'. Too easy to dismiss customer concerns when you don't want to admit the fault or deal with it in any way. Maybe when someone gets killed as a result of SSS Ford and it's Canberra dealer will start honouring warranties. But then again, maybe not.
Old 20-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
Ford Focus Fail
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Shouldnt come to this but is there only one dealer in the ACT?

How are they not warranting the car? What is the issue exactly?
There is only one dealer in Canberra. Multiple issues with FordSync and gearbox, too many to list here. See other response and Google FordSync Class Action USA. They are 'not warranting the car' because they won't fix the faults that exist in it, as they are obliged to by Australian consumer law. Ford and it's Canberra dealer apparently think they can ignore their legal obligations.
Old 20-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #8
Cranky243

Sounds like MTA Turbochargers under a different name.
Cranky243 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #9
Ford Focus Fail
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky243 View Post
Sounds like MTA Turbochargers under a different name.
In plain English it is an overpriced piece of junk.
Old 20-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #10
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Focus Fail View Post
How do turn a long term Ford buyer into someone who will now buy anything but a Ford? Easy, just sell them a Ford Focus with multiple FordSync problems and a faulty gearbox that Ford has known about for several years. Then just keep refusing to honour the warranty. Ford, your little scam will cost you a lot. Your Canberra dealer made a few dollars out of selling these faulty cars but has lost itself and you many repeat customers. Why buy a Ford when it and its Canberra dealer simply refuse to honour warranties?
FFF, welcome to FFA.

We've all got time here, why don't you detail the issues you have had to see if they have been experienced by anyone else here. You may find a solution or help for someone who has had the same problems.

Also, have a look here and introduce yourself: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=32145

John

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #11
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
FFF, welcome to FFA.

We've all got time here, why don't you detail the issues you have had to see if they have been experienced by anyone else here. You may find a solution or help for someone who has had the same problems.

Also, have a look here and introduce yourself: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=32145

John

Agree

While shouting from the rooftop seems like the only way, it probably won't help..... BUT maybe simply asking for assistance / advice from the forum community may help.

Give us a list of issues / problems etc.

I'd be p!!!!!sssed too if I bought a lemon, you're a mechanic, just maybe with some help from someone here you might be able to fix some of the problems you are experiencing. You'd probably be better at fixing things than 17 year old 2nd year apprentice.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #12
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On holidays in PERTH renting an Elantra Active nice car drives well economical comfortable has old style auto would choose it over a Focus. Ford must drop the dct box.I'm
Old 20-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

^^^ go buy one, do us a favour, there is even a forum for you
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/

OP joins AFF, instant rant. I understand cars/dealer have their faults but a thread like this on here wont help you
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels

Last edited by DJM83; 20-12-2014 at 10:42 AM.
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #14
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Not trying to stick up for the dealer here but unfortunately nowadays unless it shows a fault or throws an error code most if not all service departments of any dealer will not recognise that a vehicle has a problem, on most occasions you would need to replicate the fault whilst someone is there to document it and even then it doesn't always end with a good result :( I have had experience with this on several occasions, one in particular was a relatively new car (still under NCW) that would simply die in the *** when trying to take off quickly and enter into traffic etc... As mine was a consistent fault I took it to the dealer and asked if the service manager would accompany me on a test drive so I could show him what was going on, he did this and the car was very accommodating and died on take off very nicely, the response from the S.M. was you need to give it more revs, I suggested he try it himself, he revved it fairly high on take off and it still died, the response to that was it's a normal characteristic of the car lol I got so peeved with it in the end that after no success I traded the vehicle before I ended up dead in it :( I agree with what others have said regarding spelling out what issues you are really experiencing here because if they are known ones (as you have stated regarding a class action on the issue in the US) then the chances are someone else on the AFF is or has had the same issue/s and might be able to offer some sound advice As far as the Canberra dealer is concerned if you haven't already tried might I suggest you go in, in person, and ask to speak with the dealer principal, explain the problem to them, try and keep a civil tongue in your head and you just never know ??? On the other hand if you get the same run around from them as you have been getting from the service guys it might be time to mention ACA or Dept. of Fair Trading. My .02 cents worth
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #15
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford Focus Fail.

The dealer has to resolve these issues.
We changed to another dealer (not the dealer we bought off who struck me as lazy)and our Powershift runs sweetly now..

Try writing to the dealer principal put it in writing.
If he doesnt play ball go to Ford.

Is there another Ford dealer not too far away say Goulburn.

Not all Ford dealers are the same.

Good luck that engine switching off business sounds like what happened to a VW being crashed from behind by a truck on a Melbourne freeway.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #16
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DJM not allowed to post an opinion unless it's praising Ford cars???? The problems with dct box is well known just ask VW!! Why they persist with it and problems should have been found ,fixed in testing not released to unsuspecting buyers. IF I was in the market for a new car ,any new car,if it has a dct box it would be eliminated .Problem must be resolved not dumped on dealers to fix. Look at Ambiente v Elantra spec sheet better equiped ,warranty , much lower fixed price servicing. I love my Fords but they have to really lift their game. End of rant Merry Christmas DJM.
Old 20-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #17
responsef6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford focus fail, I helped my parents by their Focus titanium a couple of years ago. Drove it 18 months ago and instantly felt there was a problem with the gearbox, not stopping but not responding to throttle input... There was major lag.

Dealer didn't fix it straight away, but we got a recall letter 4 months ago from ford re gearbox and dropped it in and it's now sorted.

I dare say this issue of yours would relate to the same problem, and is a known fault. If the dealer principal doesn't listen, I would call ford head office and request they arrange a tow to a dealer who will sort it for you.

They will then probably apply pressure back on Canberra ford to get it done.

I'm sure you can get this fixed.

As for sync not working properly, much easier to live with, just use your fingers on the buttons and knobs like you've always done

My Wifes jeep grand cherokee has the Chrysler Jeep system called UConnect, and it's a disgrace. Voice commands just doesn't work. But for me, this kind if tech is fluff in the first place as changing radio stations and climate control etc by voice is something I've already done with my hands before I think to press a button and speak a command.

Hope you can get your problem sorted and then on sell the car or start to enjoy for the first time. They are a great car overall
Old 20-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
A quick look through the Focus section on here shows nothing of "the faulty gearbox that Ford have known about for years"

However, have you tried the Goulburn Dealer? Have you approached The Dept of Fair Trading.

From the Dept of Fair Trading site..........
http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ft...services.page?
Warranties and repairs
If you buy a new or used car from a motor dealer and have problems with warranty issues, call us for assistance on 13 32 20. We can give you information about your options for solving the problem.
We can also help if you have problems with the cost or quality of repairs to your motor vehicle.
Old 20-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #19
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^^ I didn't have to look far for this:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11399507

It's a well known issue with the Focus and detracts from what is otherwise a nice little package.

We have a Focus Titanium coming up 1 year old now and apart from the transmission it's a great car.

The transmission does have lag and can sound like a bag of bolts at times. We haven't had any sudden stops or dangerous incidents but it's going in for its first service after Christmas and the dealer will be looking at the gearbox.
Old 20-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #20
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Well, I'll call it out.

Ford Focus Fail starts this thread as their first contribution, posts only in this thread and goes silent after stirring the pot but still shows as viewing this thread.

T & C condition #8 bans this:

8. Continual posts containing negative comments about the Ford Motor Company, Ford related product or the AFF community. This does not mean that you can't raise a legitimate issue or make the occasional negative comment but consistent bashing won't be tolerated.

So far there has been no positive.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #21
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
^^^^^ I didn't have to look far for this:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11399507

It's a well known issue with the Focus and detracts from what is otherwise a nice little package.
Oh I found that, but that's not the problem that the OP has.
Quote:
Given that we have consistently tried over the last year for Ford and the Canberra dealer to resolve these matter we feel more than justified in raising these issues here.
All Ford and the Canberra dealer had to do was provide the car that we paid them for.
But Ford and the Canberra dealer sold us the car while knowing full well that they couldn't and wouldn't fix the problems.
See my previous post re:another dealer and Dept of Fair Trading.

Last edited by GasoLane; 20-12-2014 at 01:24 PM.
GasoLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #22
Ford Focus Fail
Starter Motor

The letter from Ford says 'It may be possible for the transmission to exhibit excessive transmission shudder during light acceleration. This condition may be caused by fluid contamination of the clutch due to leaking transmission seals'. Substitute the word 'may' for 'will'.
Tried to raise the issue with the Dealer Principal (phone, email and letters) he has refused to speak with me or respond. Advised Ford of this and they said I 'should try again'.
Some of the other problems are - Blue Tooth and Voice Control not working. Deleting of all music off IPod. Radio locking in the 'text' and displaying the same information and weather for days with no way to remove it. When reversing, sometimes cuts out audio, sometimes doesn't, sometimes makes it LOUDER. You can hear the other person on the phone, they can't hear you. USB is 'disconnected' when it isn't. USB is 'connected' when it isn't. USB goes through being 'initialised' on a daily basis, which takes hours. 'No phone connected' when there is. 'Phone connected' when there is no phone in the vehicle or any where near it. 'No phone in range' when there is. Bluetooth sometimes plays music very fast, or very slow, or 'skips' like an old LP record, or all three on the same track. Voice recognition doesn't work, ask for (example) Jane Smith and it connects to Mohammed Ali, i.e. Not even close.
Dealer claims to have changed the 'APM board', funny how he couldn't show me the replaced part when he claimed to have 'just finished' doing the work.
Irrespective of whether the affected functions are 'fluff' or even first world problems we are entitled to receive what we paid for. It doesn't seem unreasonable to expect the vehicle and it's features to function as advertised and as they were sold to us.
For it to be otherwise is misleading and deceptive advertising and behaviour and show a lack of honesty and integrity by Ford, it's Canberra dealer and their sales and service people.
Given that we have consistently tried over the last year for Ford and the Canberra dealer to resolve these matter we feel more than justified in raising these issues here.
All Ford and the Canberra dealer had to do was provide the car that we paid them for.
But Ford and the Canberra dealer sold us the car while knowing full well that they couldn't and wouldn't fix the problems.
This user likes this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #23
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

I know that in a perfect world, all Ford dealers would be the same, but they are not. I know if I need dealer service, I go outside Geelong (partly previous experience, partly as the result of a personal contact I have in Melbourne).

I think you need to try another dealer, is there anyone here from a dealership within range?

If the new dealer fixes it, you know more about the selling dealer, if they can't you know the problem is with Ford. Like most large businesses, it is all price driven and factory car sound has rarely been of quality, at best just serviceable.

You are perfectly correct to assert you are entitled to receive what you were sold.

2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #24
Ford Focus Fail
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
I know that in a perfect world, all Ford dealers would be the same, but they are not. I know if I need dealer service, I go outside Geelong (partly previous experience, partly as the result of a personal contact I have in Melbourne).

I think you need to try another dealer, is there anyone here from a dealership within range?

If the new dealer fixes it, you know more about the selling dealer, if they can't you know the problem is with Ford. Like most large businesses, it is all price driven and factory car sound has rarely been of quality, at best just serviceable.

You are perfectly correct to assert you are entitled to receive what you were sold.
Thanks for the input. Will let you know how I go.
Old 20-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #25
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a widely known issue with the focuses transmission, our dealer replaced the clutch pack and seals in my focus gearbox because of the issues with them and they have done it with a lot of the other peoples cars. Plus we have recieved a letter from ford extending our transmission warranty for an extra 5 years.
It's been 3 months since the new clutch pack and it's fine, no issues with transmission anymore.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #26
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Its an easy fix man, buy a new Mazda 3.

If you need an auto they have a regular 6sp slushbox which actually works and if you like changing your own gears like I do, it has a 6sp manual.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #27
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
This condition may be caused by fluid contamination of the clutch due to leaking transmission seals'
ford recognise this as a problem and a major warranty issue. It has finally been fixed in factory from October this year (I think) but it is 100% is something the dealer should know about and be able to fix. If your dealer can't or won't then as others have said, give them the finger and go elsewhere.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #28
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

All this sounds very familiar.....

Hope it works out for you mate.

You don't need to be loyal to the one dealer due to those dodgy extended warranties they freely give you.

Take it elsewhere, get a second opinion and keep onto them. As long as your car is under warranty you will have some backing from fair trading etc.

You may find yourself selling at a great loss and just moving on like I did.

My new cars come from Mitsubishi now...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #29
Binny

Its sucks to hear the problems you have had. Nobody likes spending a large chunk of their hard earned money on something for it to have issues like this. Joining a ford enthusiast forum purely to bleat about your car isn't going to help resolve your issues though, apart from maybe some therapy by talking about it lol. You are better off putting that energy into getting your problem resolved.
Although there is only one Ford franchise in Canberra they have 3 dealerships across the city. Have you tried either of the other two to see if the staff are any more helpful? Oh and they own the Goulburn one as well by the looks of it.
Also have you contacted Ford customer relations directly to voice your complaints?

Last edited by Binny; 20-12-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Binny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #30
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo76 View Post
There is a widely known issue with the focuses transmission, our dealer replaced the clutch pack and seals in my focus gearbox because of the issues with them and they have done it with a lot of the other peoples cars. Plus we have recieved a letter from ford extending our transmission warranty for an extra 5 years.
It's been 3 months since the new clutch pack and it's fine, no issues with transmission anymore.
And that's the main reason I haven't made a deal about it on the Forums because we know our dealer will take care of the matter for us when the car goes in for its first service.

My wife and daughter who mainly drive the car haven't even mentioned it but I know it's there!

We're also very happy with our dealer I might add.