Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 26-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
stuart

Default Musty interior smell

My MA Mondeo is in to the dealer tomorrow to hunt down a possible leak somewhere in the body or heating system. I read a forum query from four years ago in the UK where there were heater matrix problems leaking water under the carpet. It definitely smells like musty carpet.

Anyone else with a similar (bad) experience?

MA TDCi Mondeo sedan
AU Fairmont sedan
EL Futura sedan
EF Futura wagon
XD 4 Ltr sedan
stuart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Default Re: Musty interior smell

Could be from the A/C pipe. I had mine back up in my BA and it stank.

Could also be wet carpet in the boot from water entry?

Make sure you give the dealer the info you've gathered from O/S, as they might not know about it.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #3
stuart

Thanks for the advice Dusty1. I did suggest possibilities when I rang to book but I will give a friendly reminder.
Cheers
MA TDCi Mondeo sedan
AU Fairmont sedan
EL Futura sedan
EF Futura wagon
XD 4 Ltr sedan
Old 27-10-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had this issue with my MA early on; noticed my foot getting cold & wet on the foot rest! Was traced to the condensation overflowing from the A/C piping behind the dash. Fixed & never reoccurred.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to feel the occasional drip of water on my left foot when driving in summer. Now I know why...
Old 28-10-2011, 12:17 AM   #6
stuart

Well nothing dramatic to report from the check today. They cleared all the drainage holes and found nothing wrong with heater or aircon pipes/seals etc. I do park outside during the day at work, airport etc but rarely under trees. At home the mondy sits comfy in the garage.
Ford put some 'nice' smelling stuff in the interior to mask the pong and sent me on my way.
Time will tell . . . .
MA TDCi Mondeo sedan
AU Fairmont sedan
EL Futura sedan
EF Futura wagon
XD 4 Ltr sedan
Old 28-10-2011, 12:30 AM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I had the same issue. Although I did find a leak the smell had nothing to do with the leak. I was wearing a hoody goin for a run and got stuck out in a downpour. The sweaty jumper was then soaked through by the time o got back to the car.

Threw the jumper on the back seat thinking I will take it out when I got home. Left it there by accident for almost a week to cook in the sun and the water that seeped into my seat turned rancid. Bad case of foot odour mixed with bad BO and musty stench all combined.

Happened 3 months ago, and the smell is still there (getting weaker each week however). The first few weeks was almost unbearable in the cabin.

Have you left something wet in the car and it has 'gone off'??
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
Flash635
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart
Well nothing dramatic to report from the check today. They cleared all the drainage holes and found nothing wrong with heater or aircon pipes/seals etc. I do park outside during the day at work, airport etc but rarely under trees. At home the mondy sits comfy in the garage.
Ford put some 'nice' smelling stuff in the interior to mask the pong and sent me on my way.
Time will tell . . . .
One of the things many people miss is the A/C intake filter, it can get pretty ripe with mould. More likely the evaporator core though.

You can get a solar powered fan/vent thing that you wind your window up on to and it sits there all day fanning and ventilating your car as long as the sun shines.
Flash635 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #9
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash635
One of the things many people miss is the A/C intake filter, it can get pretty ripe with mould. More likely the evaporator core though.

You can get a solar powered fan/vent thing that you wind your window up on to and it sits there all day fanning and ventilating your car as long as the sun shines.
My MA Mondeo default the vents to open after a time period after I switch off the engine, something I have to remember when re-starting the car with the air-con on to press the recycle button back on!

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #10
stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I had the same issue. Although I did find a leak the smell had nothing to do with the leak. I was wearing a hoody goin for a run and got stuck out in a downpour. The sweaty jumper was then soaked through by the time o got back to the car.

Threw the jumper on the back seat thinking I will take it out when I got home. Left it there by accident for almost a week to cook in the sun and the water that seeped into my seat turned rancid. Bad case of foot odour mixed with bad BO and musty stench all combined.

Happened 3 months ago, and the smell is still there (getting weaker each week however). The first few weeks was almost unbearable in the cabin.

Have you left something wet in the car and it has 'gone off'??
Couple of times I have thrown a very wet umbrella on the passenger side floor but not wet enough to entirely soak the mats.

The passenger side door door seal at the bottom does collect water in the rain. My missus has had a nasty surprise when opening the door - especially wearing sandals! It has always been quite entertaining to see the amount collected. Maybe with one of the downpours the water in the door seal may have sneaked into the footwell area - or maybe it is in the door itself.
MA TDCi Mondeo sedan
AU Fairmont sedan
EL Futura sedan
EF Futura wagon
XD 4 Ltr sedan
Old 28-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #11
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Couple of times I have thrown a very wet umbrella on the passenger side floor but not wet enough to entirely soak the mats.

The passenger side door door seal at the bottom does collect water in the rain. My missus has had a nasty surprise when opening the door - especially wearing sandals! It has always been quite entertaining to see the amount collected. Maybe with one of the downpours the water in the door seal may have sneaked into the footwell area - or maybe it is in the door itself.
Don't rule out a leak in the windscreen somewhere either, it's not uncommon. Easy way to check is to run the hose all around the top and sides of the screen whilst some one sticks there head up under the dash with a torch and looks and feels for drips, it will probably be easier if you have a very small friend or know a contortionist who can help you out as it's a bit cramped in there
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #12
stuart

Thumbs up Re: Musty interior smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
Don't rule out a leak in the windscreen somewhere either, it's not uncommon. Easy way to check is to run the hose all around the top and sides of the screen whilst some one sticks there head up under the dash with a torch and looks and feels for drips, it will probably be easier if you have a very small friend or know a contortionist who can help you out as it's a bit cramped in there

Thanks for the tip but I don't need a hose - it is raining now and my car is outside due to garage full of our funiture (painting inside).
Do you know the number of a midget with a torch?

Hopefully my friends at Ford checked it already. Otherwise I might be back there next week.
MA TDCi Mondeo sedan
AU Fairmont sedan
EL Futura sedan
EF Futura wagon
XD 4 Ltr sedan
Old 28-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Do you know the number of a midget with a torch?
I don't know his number but I know of a midget with a torch, he's a got a bit of an attitude though

Old 29-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #14
stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
I don't know his number but I know of a midget with a torch, he's a got a bit of an attitude though

Thanks for the reference but I think he has something up his nose already!!!

MA TDCi Mondeo sedan
AU Fairmont sedan
EL Futura sedan
EF Futura wagon
XD 4 Ltr sedan
Old 29-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #15
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks for the reference but I think he has something up his nose already!!!

That's probably what's giving him an attitude
Old 01-11-2011, 01:19 AM   #16
Flash635
Starter Motor

Have you got a sunroof?
Fill the car up with water through the sunroof and watch for where it comes out.
Flash635 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #17
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No,no,no this is the way to do it!

http://www.caradvice.com.au/141021/h...cars-interior/

apstar
Old 02-11-2011, 03:17 AM   #18
Scaffy
Rlegaur Mbemer

We have an almost vinegar like smell if running the aircon, then switching aircon off, leaving just the fan blowing. Anyone else experienced this?
[YEAH NAH] Red EL XR8 with Trick Flow top end kit, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, tweecer, 3.73s & tired T5 = 275rwhp & 13.155@105mph NA. 12.375@116.73 N2O - Off the road, awaiting 347 293ci and Astro Performance gear-kitted T5 (A5)

White EL Series II XR8, manual, high flow cats, single 3" exhaust and Quarterhorse = 236rwhp and 14.18@97.5mph - E7 heads FTW! - SOLD
Scaffy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 07:56 AM   #19
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could be a leak in the aircon. Some of the non-CFC gasses have an ammonia smell.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #20
Scaffy
Rlegaur Mbemer

When the aircon is running, there's no smell. Only after it is turned off, the smell comes through the system. When the missus had it in for the service, she mentioned it to them and they said they had to do some flush, of which I don't remember the cost, but it was rediculous. I thought wtf can they flush anyway? I was away, so didn't get to question them about it myself.
[YEAH NAH] Red EL XR8 with Trick Flow top end kit, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, tweecer, 3.73s & tired T5 = 275rwhp & 13.155@105mph NA. 12.375@116.73 N2O - Off the road, awaiting 347 293ci and Astro Performance gear-kitted T5 (A5)

White EL Series II XR8, manual, high flow cats, single 3" exhaust and Quarterhorse = 236rwhp and 14.18@97.5mph - E7 heads FTW! - SOLD
Scaffy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #21
stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
No,no,no this is the way to do it!

http://www.caradvice.com.au/141021/h...cars-interior/

apstar
It must be a German taxi after someone asked have you got room for a six-pack and a pizza

MA TDCi Mondeo sedan
AU Fairmont sedan
EL Futura sedan
EF Futura wagon
XD 4 Ltr sedan
Old 19-11-2011, 07:57 AM   #22
Mackspower

Quote:
My MA Mondeo default the vents to open after a time period after I switch off the engine, something I have to remember when re-starting the car with the air-con on to press the recycle button back on!

apstar

Does this mean you always use the recycle setting? My understanding is that's not a great idea in a closed system . . . the carbon dioxide levels in your cabin will build up noticably.
Mackspower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #23
msford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackspower
Does this mean you always use the recycle setting? My understanding is that's not a great idea in a closed system . . . the carbon dioxide levels in your cabin will build up noticably.
I had the same complaint that apstar had, that the vent defaults to open and I always have to put the recycle back on. I thought for the purposes of air con performance that it was best to keep the outside hot air from coming in when you're trying to keep the interior cool. A bit like your home/office air con; it is not recommended to run it with windows/doors open. Of course, it may be a little different in a car because you are enclosed whereas a home/office air con has return air grilles to refresh/replace the air whereas I am not sure if a car does so you may have a really good point there. I would be interested to know what is the proper/safer thing to do in a car air con situation, if anyone knows.
msford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #24
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I find the performance of the air-con is much better on recycle,there is the rear vents to extract stale air out and on long trips with no other vehicle in front I switch to vent to open for a few minutes [or if someone lets on off ] but gee on a very hot day the air-con will be flat chat trying to cool that hot air quickly and if you are behind a bus or truck do you really want their exhaust JMHO

apstar
Old 16-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #25
stuart

Well I had the pleasure of attending the Werribee races on the weekend. Hot and steamy in a marquee, cruising until just after race two. The birthday girl celebrated winning the quinella on the race then we heard the thunder.
The heavens opened and wind threatened to blow us away. Hail and icy rain bucketed down and seeped/gushed into the tent. We bailed out and the races were cancelled.

Jumped in my Mondi and noticed the top of the front driver side pillar dripping with water - well at least I found the leak that Ford couldn't.

Visiting Ford on Monday for check and replacement of the sunroof seal/thingy.

More to follow.
MA TDCi Mondeo sedan
AU Fairmont sedan
EL Futura sedan
EF Futura wagon
XD 4 Ltr sedan
Old 20-12-2011, 12:52 AM   #26
stuart

Well problem identified and solved today at Ford.

A more thorough inspection (than last time) revealed that one of the four sunroof drain tubes had a kink in it that restricted water flow.

When experiencing a heavy downpour the tube backed up with water and flowed back into the car interior. Ford say they took out the kink and it should now be fine.

I hope so too.
MA TDCi Mondeo sedan
AU Fairmont sedan
EL Futura sedan
EF Futura wagon
XD 4 Ltr sedan
Old 20-12-2011, 01:24 AM   #27
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great that you've got that sorted. "Thorough inspection" and "Ford service" are phrases that don't seem to go together in Oz...