Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-07-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Default Hoon Hotline

Does anyone know how this works?

I reported a dangerous driver this morning; after telling the operator the grisly details (what happened, what street, what time, car make, number plate, driver description) I was told that it would be "passed along for assessment".
Does this mean that they will run the rego number and see if there are any prior offences attached to it? Or will they just enter it into the database and forget about it?

I'm a bit concerned as the driver started tailgating me and I think they got my number plate.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
Bullyz_XR6T
Starter Motor

they will probably ring them!! it has backfired a lot cos ex girlfriends and people with grudges ring the hotline

Bullyz_XR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not sure but i don't think they can do anything as it's a case of you said he said. I think there needs to be another complaint about the same incident.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the people who is dobbing in someone should have to give all there details aswell,,and then those details should be passed onto the person they are dobbing in so they can sit down and talk about all the grisly details.
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

They generally will do absolutely NOTHING until there is multiple reports of the same vehicle in the same area....

I was reported twice by seperate people when driving the XY GT, and I know this because I ended up pulling over discussing it with the people that called the hotline....
(lets just say it was a misunderstanding)...

But at the end of the day... there were no follow up phone calls made, fines issued, warnings, etc...

Its one of those things made up by state/federal govt to make it look like their doing something when actualy fact they are doing nothing...

Plus - i've rang it 100 times regarding a Renault Scenic that I saw with HOON plates... i'm pretty sure nothing has happened about that one!!! (ahhahahaha)
Old 09-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
Barry_v
rocknrolla

I got a letter a few years ago saying that a member of the public had complained about my car's excessive exhaust smoke. reminded me of the roadworthy requirements and said no further action (in regards to the complaint) was planned.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

I don't know about the Hoon Hotline, but if you get reported through Crime Stoppers, you get a letter from the Traffic Management Unit

It happened to me. The car I sold was still in my name when the driver was reported for reckless driving. I received a warning letter. Said it would be looked into further if more complaints were received.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
Fled74
The Thread Killa

The number I rang (1800333000)was actually Crime Stoppers.
I'm pretty sure that the bogan slag behind the wheel wrote down my numberplate as well. I'm seriously considering getting custom plates now - I have 2 small children and you never know what people like that are capable of.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Old 09-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so, Fled, you gonna give us your side of the story?
Old 09-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #10
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fled74
The number I rang (1800333000)was actually Crime Stoppers.
I'm pretty sure that the bogan slag behind the wheel wrote down my numberplate as well. I'm seriously considering getting custom plates now - I have 2 small children and you never know what people like that are capable of.
I'm curious, what reason would this "bogan slag" have had to take your number plate down? Insert full story here lol.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #11
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

seedywagon and keefa witnessed a "Hoon" one night giving some pretty serious road rage (was ramming another car on the road).

They made a police report with the plates of both cars but were told unless they (the Police) saw it or the Victim made a complaint and had evidence that it was infact the other car that did it, nothing more could be done about it.

I'd say that nothing will happen unless there are a lot of complaints lodged.

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #12
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what was the website where you could write about someones number plate?

and you could do a look up of your plate to see if there was a complaint against you?
Old 09-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #13
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
what was the website where you could write about someones number plate?

and you could do a look up of your plate to see if there was a complaint against you?
http://ratetheplate.com.au, got taken offline due to legal reason I believe

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #14
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Here's my side of the story:
On my way to work this morning, I was behind the car in question (old red Jeep Cherokee), and the woman at the wheel was driving erratically (speeding up, slowing down, wandering left and right, straddling the white line over an extended distance). She was eating and drinking something, and her male companion was chattering away on his mobile.

They did this for several kms, and eventually they slowed to 50kph in a 60 zone and moved left. I assumed they were letting me through, so when the road was clear I flipped on my indicator and passed them. Immediately she flashed her lights at me and honked her horn, and they started following me for about 10km. Not wanting to exacerbate things, I stuck to the speed limit and made no attempt to evade them, or do anything to appear to be a "hoon driver".

In my rearview I saw them writing something - probably my numberplate - and then they passed me (straddling the centre line with oncoming cars), swerved in front of me for a second, then gunned it and turned onto another street.
I got their rego number and rang Crimestoppers as soon as I got to work.

Despite my placid nature, I'm a big guy and know how to take care of myself (especially with these two skinny smackheads), but if they'd smashed my car I'd be the one worse off (repairs, difficulty getting to work, etc).

I drive a Fiesta and I think those two idiots were offended that this little "girly car" would have the nerve to pass them, so they decided to harass me.

I've been in my share of fights (years ago), but now I'm married with 2 kids, and I'd rather avoid that sort of thing these days.

Still, I'll be sleeping with the shotgun at arm's reach for the next few weeks.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #15
EF Hoon
Sideways in my 33!

You have a shotgun!?? im dobbing you in now!

jk
EF Hoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #16
Kryton

Probably your best bet is to make an actual statement at the local Police station.
They probably wont do a lot about it other than put it on the system incase they notice the car again.
If a few people complain, they will act.
This happened to a local, driving like e knob and was reported by 4 different people.
He was arrested and sent to court where he is now without a license and a $3000 fine.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #17
just_pazz
Ford Convert

LOL. Some people have alot of spare time on their hands it seems.
just_pazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #18
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Thanks for everyone's input.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #19
spooty

if they arent doing anything about your complaint Im sure they wont do anything about thiers either
THINGS
OTHER STUFF
AND SOMETHING ELSE
spooty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #20
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe its best to go to the station to make a complaint, as far as im aware a job may be logged and if they have time they will talk to the persons involved (at least they are supposed to).

If no other witnesses come forward, its down to your word against theirs and that'll be the end of it...

However if (and I did it one nite) "suspect" the driver is drunk, waeving side to side etc, report it while your driving. I was following someone at nite just outside town and their driving was erratic. I told them we were heading into town and they got my mobile number and called me back (as i had called the station, not 000).

After several near misses he did get pulled over 10mins later. I dont know the outcome, but he was let go after some questioning. So I can only assume he was a **** driver!! or he was talking on his mobile or reading a map? (he had NSW plates).

The SGT I spoke too (two cop cars arrived) said that they dont mind if you call about erratic drivers (I dobbed myself in for talking on the mobile while driving). He seemed very.. tired and sick of the attitude out there.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #21
Dave3911

Whats the big deal with them getting your numberplate anyway? It's on public display for a reason...... it's not like she can do anything with it anyway.

If, instead of your number plate, you had large letters that said your name and your address, DOB, phone number & shoe size - then you may have an issue..... A couple of random letters and numbers that your state government use to bill you and your local five-oh use to fine you? Not likely going to mean anytihng to Mr and Mrs Bogan.

It's a simple road rage incident.... happens all the time.... Mr and Mrs bogan have most likely already forgotten it and are too busy planning their next over-priced trip to thailand & making sure they have $16.21 available in their account for their next chrisco installment to even think twice about you overtaking them!
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #22
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3911
Whats the big deal with them getting your numberplate anyway? It's on public display for a reason...... it's not like she can do anything with it anyway.

It's a simple road rage incident.... happens all the time.... Mr and Mrs bogan have most likely already forgotten it
Bingo. Nothing to worry about dude.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #23
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

seems like alot of trouble and worry over something that seems the norm in peak hour Brisbane.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 10:14 PM   #24
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I didn't mean to come across as afraid/worried, but I suppose it sounded that way.
Anyway, concern for one's family is not weakness, and bluster is not strength.

Thanks again for everyone's input.