Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 15-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
lenny555

Default Oran park track day

HI all,

Yesterday i took my 04 Zetec out to Oran park and we ran the full GP track, i ran with semi slicks (ku36) and my best lap was a 1.34,5. Fastest lap of the day was a 1.17.9 lancer evo with full slicks. A friend of mine ran a 1.18.9 in his R35.

Overall I am so impressed with the way the car handles the thrashing i gave it not one problem all day. The tyres were fantastic no sliding just great grip, i would have to say without the slicks i would of been closer to the bottom of the time sheet so i ws happy with being 66th out of 84. My BMC DIA sounded great and helped the engine rev out nicely.

It was my first time at Oran and its a shame its being closed as it is a great track to drive.

lenny555 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
starkey

That sounds like you had a good time. Lap times are good to. Just be careful the slicks put a lot of pressure on other parts of the driveline.
starkey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I wondered about that too.. That extra grip would definitely put more stress on other suspension and driveline parts...
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
lenny555

Im doing Oran again next Monday ( they start pulling up on Tuesday) i'll let you know if anything goes wrong. Touch wood.
Old 19-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
alky89

you'll be fine mate. the ku36's aren't slicks or even semi slicks for that matter. im running them on the focus and they're very grippy but aren't semis. consider them a very aggressive street tyre. and they hold up great at the track. much better than ordinary high performance street tyres.

who do you go oran park with? just open days or some with some car club?
alky89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
lenny555

The one im doing on Monday is trhough Iqn Luff and its $190.
If your interested let me know ill pass on the email.

In regards to the Tyres from running on my standard raod tyres they are amazing i couldnt imagine what a good quality semi slick would be like. But i think these ku36s are well worth the $170 a tyre.
Old 20-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
shepv8
V8's for ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny555
Im doing Oran again next Monday ( they start pulling up on Tuesday) i'll let you know if anything goes wrong. Touch wood.
what do you mean they are pulling it up. Is that, as in they are starting to rip up the circuit? If so does that make monday the very last day for the old girl.
shepv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
lenny555

Yeh Monday will be the last day the track is open for business.

ORAN PARK GP

Closing Down Sale !!

Thats right, everything must go! Closing down January 26!!

After 26 years of hosting various drive programs and drive events, Ian Luff Motorsport has been granted exclusive use of the complete Oran Park complex for the last ever day!

As an added bonus Ian Luff Motivation Australia has organised a film crew to be on hand to capture all the action. Attendees can arrange to be professionally filmed which will be edited into a DVD. Your personalised copy will only cost $100 + GST which you can pay on the day, immortalising Oran Park and your participation!

You will also receive a medallion suitably engraved which will no doubt become a collector’s item.

Tuition will be available from instructors if you would like and you just need to bring a helmet along, $20 to rent on the day and they are available there. There are no licence requirements and you can drive your own car at your own pace.

The day....

* Oran Park Grand Prix
* Monday January 25th 2010
* 8.30 am arrival
* 9.00 Luff briefing for 20 mins, coffee provided
* 12.30 break for lunch 30 mins
* 4.30 finish and perhaps a catch up with Ian to say Farewell to Oran Park

What you need....

* Helmet
* a car !
* $195
Old 21-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

I am so fortunate to have had several opportunities to get rides in racecars like a Subaru STi, Suzuki Swift GTi, EVO VI and many more inlcuding the chance to take my Focus on a parade lap at one of Oran Park's Charity ride days for Ill and Disadvantaged children. That was probably the highlight.

RIP Oran Park.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
shepv8
V8's for ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny555
Yeh Monday will be the last day the track is open for business.

ORAN PARK GP

Closing Down Sale !!

Thats right, everything must go! Closing down January 26!!

After 26 years of hosting various drive programs and drive events, Ian Luff Motorsport has been granted exclusive use of the complete Oran Park complex for the last ever day!

As an added bonus Ian Luff Motivation Australia has organised a film crew to be on hand to capture all the action. Attendees can arrange to be professionally filmed which will be edited into a DVD. Your personalised copy will only cost $100 + GST which you can pay on the day, immortalising Oran Park and your participation!

You will also receive a medallion suitably engraved which will no doubt become a collector’s item.

Tuition will be available from instructors if you would like and you just need to bring a helmet along, $20 to rent on the day and they are available there. There are no licence requirements and you can drive your own car at your own pace.

The day....

* Oran Park Grand Prix
* Monday January 25th 2010
* 8.30 am arrival
* 9.00 Luff briefing for 20 mins, coffee provided
* 12.30 break for lunch 30 mins
* 4.30 finish and perhaps a catch up with Ian to say Farewell to Oran Park

What you need....

* Helmet
* a car !
* $195
How many bookings are left available or do you just turn up on the day. Do they have graded sessions ie fast, medium, slow.
Also........how locked up is the track after 4.30pm ;)
shepv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 01:51 AM   #11
alky89

man i'm soo tempted but im already going wakefield on the 26th. i wonder if the car can take 2 track days in a row... i wonder if i can take 2 track days in a row. its as simple as booking on the ian luff website yes? i'll have to think about whether i can/should go or not though.

Last edited by alky89; 22-01-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old 22-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #12
lenny555

Contact Dave Potter about avaliable spaces.

David Potter

Managing Director

Vodafone Business Channel - Sydney

Ph :02 9905 3928

Fx :02 9905 2915

Mb :0414 444 015

Last track day i did it was graded into 4 groups fast to slow, i would say this would be set up the same way. If not there will be alot of fast cars overtaking me.
Old 29-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #13
lenny555

Hi all,

On Monday i did my second outing at Oran and drove the final laps of the track. RIP

It was a great day again, a bit more traffic 3 groups instead of 4, unfortunately we didnt get any times recorded so not sure if i went quicker, i didnt feel as quick as i dont think i had the correct tyre pressure.

Anyway on a sad note some poor bloke put his Subaru Liberty on its roof, i have attached a photo of. What would you tell the wife..

And yesterday i was doing a 3 point and i heard a loud cracking sound, i thought i ran over a stick so i continued to reverse and i heard a grinding sound so i got out and i had snapped the ball joint and the wheel had shifted forward in the wheel arch. So i called a towie and dropped it off at Ford last night and the bloke called me this morning and quoted $570. Not sure how much is due to my wife hitting the gutter last year or me on the track, i dont think those ripple strips help much...
Old 29-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #14
Cyborg1978

It probly would be becaause of the extra traction of the track tyers. But who cars you would have had a ball racing the Fez around the track. $570 for a ford repair sounds a really good price.
Cyborg1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #15
lenny555

So i was on my way to pick up the car and i get a phone call from ford saying that they have found more problems with the car and it will cost me $1900. Oh my god... so now its a wheel hub or assembly not sure which.
Old 29-01-2010, 11:57 PM   #16
alky89

wow bad luck. im assuming your warranty is run out? ah well hope it doesn't get any more expensive. if its any consolation, its probably not from your tyres or track habit. i'm running the same tyres as you and and i've almost finished them. done close to 10 track days (6 or 7 on the kumhos) with plenty of spins and ripple strips. i think you should just blame the wife. haha no just jk, sometimes you get a dodgy part from the factory.

i seem to have had a bit more luck with my car. did oran park on the 25th and wakefield on the 26th and nothing broke/exploded. but my tyres aren't too pleased. will you be doing anymore track days lenny? i was the guy in the red focus you were chasing. i usually go with circuit club so take a look at their website if interested. on a side note i really want one of those gtr's you were parked near!!! the red one tore past me under the bridge. sounded sooo awesome.
Old 30-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #17
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Alky, I realise that they're two completely different track layouts.........but which did you prefer Oran or Wakefield Park?? Wakefield Park to me seems too short.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:21 AM   #18
alky89

hmmm i think i like oran park more even if its only for the novelty of it. i've only been there twice (once on the south circuit, once on the gp). wakefield i've been several times. but i think oran park is more fun. its longer, more corners, has a bridge. and it requires a totally different driving style to wakefield. so many late apexes at oran park. and the south side is very flowing once you get the lines right. the "s" after the bridge for example- if i get it right, i can floor it as soon as i turn in for the first bend, all the way through the "s". just so smooth and nice. turn in too early or too fast though and i'm on and off the gas/brake, sliding my way through making a royal mess. now i'm rambling on... missing the track already. wakefield is a bit short but theres a good mix of corners and i really appreciate all the run off space. offers some extra security when you're going all out. oran park you really need to be a bit more careful (not that it matters anymore).
Old 01-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #19
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Quote: "now i'm rambling on...."

No you're not, that's a good summary. The Dog-Leg is my absolute fav part. I still can't split the Subaru Impreza WRX STi and the Suzuki Swift GTi as my most memorable rides and they were both using the GP Circuit.

Wakefield Park was in a XR8 BrUte with a certain G. Denyer.