Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-05-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
ADZ351
Starter Motor

Default New Falcon TV Ad - Is it crap or is it just me???

The launch of the new Falcon seens to have happened with a wimper rather than a bang and if I didnt work at a Ford delaer and see for myself FG Falcons being sent up to new car sales I would hardley know that Ford Australias great hope is even on sale.

Having said that, I have seen on TV 2 commercials, one for the G series and one for the XR that I think are a huge waste of time & money. Its hard to even know they are ads for a car.

The majority of the Ad is a hand floating through country scenes.
WTF???

Im sure someone, somewhere feels warm & fuzzy about making this artistic masterpiece but what do you all think?

ADZ351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
whiskieboy

Funnt thing, we just got a letter from "the Pres" Mr Osbourne explaining the new ad and I still dont quite understand it. Except the want to get away from the normal car ads with normal car ad terminology and lean towards a different market, or something like that. But they are different, thats for sure
whiskieboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

The TV ads are gayer than a mantrain. An outback-freight-spec mantrain.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If there ever was doubt that marketing and advertising types spend the vast majority of their lives high on coke, that's the powdered type of coke, here is your proof.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskieboy
Funnt thing, we just got a letter from "the Pres" Mr Osbourne explaining the new ad and I still dont quite understand it. Except the want to get away from the normal car ads with normal car ad terminology and lean towards a different market, or something like that. But they are different, thats for sure
Any chance you can post up said email?? i would love to hear an explaination from the big cheese's mouth.

having said that, this topic has been discussed in two threads in the Orion knowledge hub.
Old 15-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #6
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

There you have it! The reason why the majority of the people on here who don't like it, is because the campaign isn't aimed at the members of this forums, ie car enthusiasts who already own and know falcons. They want to sell cars to more then their current demographic.

There is no point in advertising to people who already know exactly what a FG is and its features now is there?
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
spudte

Lol, they realisticly have 2 audiences.

The first is enthusiasts like us. You say we dont matter, ok.

The second are those who havent had a falcon before/for a while. They are interested in a few key things: 1 - Performance, 2 - Economy, 3 - Safety. Tell me how those ads address any one of those 3 key things?

The ads seem to be pointed at no-one. To send a letter out having to explain your ads shows how pointless they are.

Regardless, wouldnt still mind a read.
Old 15-05-2008, 09:40 PM   #8
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
The TV ads are gayer than a mantrain. An outback-freight-spec mantrain.
Heh, do a google image search on this.....

Re: the ads, they aren't real flash, even if they are aimed at the 'different' markets.

Holden is really kicking Fords backside with ads at the moment, their 60th anniversary ones are very good.

Sorry, but if Ford are trying to get back market share, or public opinion, etc, well it isn't working from where I look at it.

It is all well and good to chase new markets, but if they can't even get the hard core ford fans interested, then the recipe isn't good.

I hope sales prove me wrong.

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 11:04 PM   #9
AusM
AusMotorsport

I hope they're just doing a slow start until they have production numbers up... The current ad says nothing about the car or its improvements...
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 12:18 AM   #10
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WHEN Ford get their 5 star safety rating, they need to WHORE this fact and sell it...the SAFEST Australian car ever...with comfort and performance unseen in an Australian-built family vehicle.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 12:27 AM   #11
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
WHEN Ford get their 5 star safety rating, they need to WHORE this fact and sell it...the SAFEST Australian car ever...with comfort and performance unseen in an Australian-built family vehicle.

5 star safety if acheived will hand the marketing department an absolutle gem. Every ad could simply fade out to the Southern Cross (5 stars for foreigners and city dwellers) and this not only ram home the point its safest in class but also AUSTRALIAN
Old 16-05-2008, 12:37 AM   #12
XFordFantomX
Starter Motor

The new ute ad is quite funny though!
XFordFantomX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 12:45 AM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
5 star safety if acheived will hand the marketing department an absolutle gem. Every ad could simply fade out to the Southern Cross (5 stars for foreigners and city dwellers) and this not only ram home the point its safest in class but also AUSTRALIAN

They'll probably be too busy focusing on their hand....i mean fingers.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 01:32 AM   #14
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
They'll probably be too busy focusing on their hand....i mean fingers.
More likely the Straw & Mirror...........

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 04:33 AM   #15
Jayden
Graphic Artist

Ive only seen the G8-T ads. certainly appeals to the 30 year old mother in me, ie. not at all. They somehow made turbos sound like there something for a childs nursery.

different must be an advertising code-word for couldnt be arsed thinking too hard. they could pay me to come up with better ideas, hell id do it for free.
Old 16-05-2008, 10:58 AM   #16
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive seen the adds for the GE's and i noticed they didnt show much of its backside(my most disliked part of the car). It looks as if its directed at business men & woman at the 45+ mark
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 10:59 AM   #17
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

didn't think there'd be so many marketing experts here!

Not only are you all experts in marketing, you must also be experts in demographics and psychology.

Well done all. Send your CV's to Ford.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 11:13 AM   #18
nommic
EL Monty Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden
Ive only seen the G8-T ads.
There's a V8 turbo model?!

Fev - General Electric? Did you mean FG?

The ads may have missed the mark with us (ford/car enthusiasts) but who knows what the average bloke and his dog will think of them. Time will tell.
Old 16-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #19
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
didn't think there'd be so many marketing experts here!

Not only are you all experts in marketing, you must also be experts in demographics and psychology.

Well done all. Send your CV's to Ford.
Well you don't need to be an expert in something to point out that something is crap.

I'm no expert in the progressive culture of hip-hop, but I do think it's crap.

Capiche?
Old 16-05-2008, 11:24 AM   #20
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

I don't like the ads either. Even though I'm a Ford fan I am ashamed they market them this way and more inclined to buy a H%^$#n because of their ads.
Someone said ealier that everyone is interested in power, economy and safety. Those ads don't show any of that.
That hand floating around the county side? WTF is that about?
Old 16-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #21
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
Well you don't need to be an expert in something to point out that something is crap.

I'm no expert in the progressive culture of hip-hop, but I do think it's crap.

Capiche?
You've proved my point!

Now see if you can work it out!
Old 16-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #22
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The magnet ute was the last decent add ford came out with.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #23
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wake up kids!

Answer me this... How are Holden ads helping their sales?

People on this site don't need the reinforcement of Fords marketing department. We actively go out and research and do what we can to learn as much about the car as possible.

Ford are targeting the opposite and at the same time, wanting to change average Joe's perception of the Ford Falcon, because we all should know, that the way things are going, large cars are dying a slow death, actually, it's speeding up!

Our perception will not change just because Ford pitch their ads at a different market. We will still know that they are what they always were, from the base to the sports.

Those of us that know how good the XR6T is for example, aren't going to suddenly not like or not consider it for purchase, because a bloke is driving his hot missus around with a jet ski on the back!
Old 16-05-2008, 12:39 PM   #24
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Wake up kids!

Answer me this... How are Holden ads helping their sales?

People on this site don't need the reinforcement of Fords marketing department. We actively go out and research and do what we can to learn as much about the car as possible.

Ford are targeting the opposite and at the same time, wanting to change average Joe's perception of the Ford Falcon, because we all should know, that the way things are going, large cars are dying a slow death, actually, it's speeding up!

Our perception will not change just because Ford pitch their ads at a different market. We will still know that they are what they always were, from the base to the sports.

Those of us that know how good the XR6T is for example, aren't going to suddenly not like or not consider it for purchase, because a bloke is driving his hot missus around with a jet ski on the back!
Well said, and fyi ford are going to bring out more advertisements stating the specs and features soon.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #25
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
You've proved my point!

Now see if you can work it out!
lol, how did I ever miss the context of your 1st post?!?

Love it
Old 16-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #26
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMO the stupid part about these ads are the fact they drop the Fairmont name because it's 'too old fashioned' yet the ads have the feel of being directed at an older motherly type generation.

Maybe Ford can learn something from religeon, brainwash them young and their hooked for life, Holden obviuosly know this, hence the popularity in comparison.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 05:06 PM   #27
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have to agree with the crap ads
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #28
burnz
VFII SS UTE

maybe they should youse holden marketing team!!
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 05:15 PM   #29
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

i think they are pretty good, they do make you take notice which is important, and the cars look great in the add, the best thing about them tho id say is how often they play them, i must say im surprised how often ive seen FG adds!,
Old 16-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #30
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I think the ads are fairly ordinary myself. They should state some facts and quotes on their ads, let Joe Average know just how good the car is.