Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Exclamation V8's return to Perth

I posted this here because I thought it would be of general interest to everyone.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...urns-to-perth/

Quote:
A commitment from the Western Australian government has resurrected Perth's V8 Supercars round.

Controversially cut from the 2010 calendar, the Perth round has been locked in again with a new long-term deal set to be announced by the end of the month.

The about-face came after the WA government reportedly committed $5 million to begin a major redevelopment of the Perth circuit at Barbagallo Raceway and its pit facilities with more funding expected in the coming years.

V8 Supercars CEO Martin Whitaker confirmed on Friday that the 2011 championship would visit every state in Australia.

The Perth round is expected to be held in early June next year.

"Perth is not only good for our fans but also for our major sponsors and we all want to keep WA on the calendar," Whitaker told BigPond Sport.

"As we've said all along we are on track to make an announcement by the end of July.

"I've made it clear in the office that we need to get Townsville out of the way first."

The Townsville round begins with practice on Friday ahead of 200km races on Saturday and Sunday.

Ford's James Courtney (1698 points) narrowly leads the series ahead of two-time defending champion Jamie Whincup (1641pts) and his Holden teammate Craig Lowndes (1452pts) after seven of the 14 championship rounds.
The money had already been committed to be spent, and works were going to begin in 2011 with or without the V8's. So who did the "about face" then?

In any event, for WA fans of this race category its good news.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Thats great for WA fans. Good to see the government put their hands in their pocket to keep this track alive.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Hotka
Ford BA XR6

Just moved to WA from sydney miss the V8 good to hear there coming over here!!!!
Hotka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I posted this here because I thought it would be of general interest to everyone.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...urns-to-perth/

The money had already been committed to be spent, and works were going to begin in 2011 with or without the V8's. So who did the "about face" then?

In any event, for WA fans of this race category its good news.
Exactly right Road Warrior, the improvements were already going ahead, sounds like a few of the sponsors voiced their opinions re the dropping of Barb's!!!
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
Carby

Just hope that we in the civilised eastern states can still get live coverage of this event from over in woop woop!!
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGT4me
Exactly right Road Warrior, the improvements were already going ahead, sounds like a few of the sponsors voiced their opinions re the dropping of Barb's!!!
Damn right I even got the letter from the Minister for Sport and Recreation around here somewhere saying exactly that.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 09-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Hopefully they go ahead with some sort of extension like they were talking about before. The track is really small.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd still like to see a street race in Perth - V8's down the Terrace!

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman

No way!

Barbagello is a great track and fantastic viewing for fans, last thing we need is another half @$$ed street circuit.

Bring back Barbs!
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 PM   #10
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
Mmm nah. A street circuit would benefit only one category: the V8's. All other circuit racing in WA would suffer because the Government made it clear that it would support one or the other, but not both. They made the right decision.

I'd like to see a premier world class circuit built in WA, to attract Le Mans and Moto GP style racing.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #11
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
No way!

Barbagello is a great track and fantastic viewing for fans, last thing we need is another half @$$ed street circuit.

Bring back Barbs!
Well said, as you say great viewing for most of the circuit.I rate Barbs & Hidden Valley as 2 of the best circuits for spectating, & believe me the Ve$a cars make Barbs look so easy to drive on (it ain't). Hopefully I will get to Clipsal & Townsville to check out spectating there as well.
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 11:53 PM   #12
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

For the purposes of completeness and getting more of the 'whole' story, here is the text from the letter I got from the Minister when I wrote to him after the V8's pulled the pin back in March:

Quote:
It is unfortunate that an agreement could not be reached between the WA Sporting Car Club (WASCC) and V8SA to ensure that the V8s raced at Barbagallo Raceway in 2010.

The WASCC brought the V8s to Western Australia for many years because its members are passionate motor sports enthusiasts.

I am not certain what sources that you are quoting when referring to the finances of the WASCC however, I can advise that the V8s event made a relatively modest amount of money and that the WASCC expended considerable resources, whilst accepting significant risk to host an annual round.

Recent media discussion has focussed on the existing pit lane area, which V8SA were happy to accept for 2010. The Government and WASCC were working towards a completed upgrade by 2011. The Government remains committed to the project.

Thank you for your interest, it is obvious you are passionate about motor sports issues.

Yours sincerely

Terry Waldron MLA
MINISTER FOR SPORT AND RECREATION
Blam.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #13
billy302

People may say the track is small and it is one of the shorter tracks in OZ.
But ask anyone who has ever driven race-cars on this track, it's among the best tacks in Australia to actually drive.
This was never about the track itself.
The Pit area has only received minor updates for competitors since the 60's
The entire paddock area needs to be re-engineered and the Pits themselves brought up to an acceptable standard.
It Really is a great track to drive.
billy302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post