Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford Start Concept breaks cover

Taken from carpoint

Ford Start Concept breaks cover

The Blue Oval's latest concept car hints at a brand new sub-compact model to take on the Fiat 500
Ford has taken the wraps off a new concept design at the Beijing International motor show, the Start Concept, which provides an early look at the company's next generation sub-compact city car.

The Blue Oval's next generation global city car (and possible successor to the Ford Ka) will take on the likes of the Fiat 500 in a slot below the Fiesta, which has been a huge success for Ford.

Powered by a 1.0-litre 3-cylinder "near-production" EcoBoost engine, Ford expects the new vehicle to discharge less than 100g/km of CO2, which would make it almost as green as the Toyota Prius and Ford Fiesta ECOnetic.

The design of the Start Concept is fairly low-key, with similarities to the Audi A1, although featuring fewer angles and more curves. It could be argued that the design treads a fine line between retro and contemporary styles.

"We didn't set out to design some sort of utilitarian concept to save the world, nor were we interested in following the competitive trend toward an overly noisy design language," said Ford's design guru J Mays.

Designed for the world's largest mega-cities, the Ford Start Concept's C-pillar is ultra-thin, creating a large expanse of glass that will improve rearward vision.

Ford's designers have taken to the interior with a similar mindset, creating a minimalist but eye-catching cabin with a sporty ambience, thanks to bold instruments and colour-matched accents on the seats.

The three-door hatch has seating for four and the Blue Oval's technical gurus have integrated some clever features into the interior, revolving around a 6-inch touch-screen display set up like an Apple iPad with large, easy to recognise icons.

The 'MyFord Mobile Concept' port also provides true hands-free operation, with almost all functions of the car (heating/cooling, radio etc) being voice operated. Owners of smart phones -- iPhones and the like -- can integrate their devices with the car, which then allows drivers to access all aspects of their phone via spoken command.

The net result of this broad spectrum voice control and touch-screen interface is the simplification of the traditional dashboard and centre console, an evolution of interior design that is no doubt being considered by all car makers.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Pretty damn ugly car, but I like all the gadgets they say it has.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

when are bored going to release something remotely interesting?
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
regency_red
Starter Motor

Pretty dull looking machine, but I found the part about the thin C-pillar interesting... too many new cars seem to have high belt lines, makes it quite difficult when you're doing a quick over-the-shoulder check of your blind spot.

Can't say the rest of the package interests me though - I could imagine features like iPhone integration and huge touch screens would be very distracting, not to mention expensive. Back to basics I say.
regency_red is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks great IMO. Taking a revised look at what the original Ka was, and I think they hit the nail on the head. Bits like the head lights and tail lights are to be ignored, but other elements such as the lower grille (notice it's on the US Fiesta and Taurus) are big hits of what Ford will be bring with their refreshed Kinetic styling. The proportions, wrap around corners and high waistline give the car a very strong look, so if the next Ka looks anything like this, bring it on. The current Ka is a nice little looker if rather dull, but this could change that.
Old 23-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed danny i think it looks great too, but can it be an entry model car say 14k or will it be more prestige in the 20k range if it was to sell here?

Also is the 1.0 3cylinder engine a turbo?
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 06:02 AM   #7
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Hopefully they will work on it's look before it reaches production.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #8
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I think they're trying to appeal to the inner suburban twat market.
Whilst we'd never even think of owning one, getting some of the environmentalists out of toyotas or vw's can't be too bad can it?
Think that tragic EMO who went on youtube going; "Leave Brittany ALONE!!!" - that's the car for him (and unfortunately, there are millions of idiot emo's like him).

Quote: