Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
XR6_4EVA
Hardcore I6 Enthusiast

Default Quieter Exhaust

Hey Guys,
Ive gone through 4 different exhaust combo's on my xr6 now by re-welding on and off my mufflers/resonators/hot dogs to get a racey sound thats really quiet on light throttle. Cant seem to get this with red back gear :(

Am going to try a red back muffler/lukey resonator combo next.

What branded exhausts are people running at the moment and what note do you get?

I should of stuck with stock, was perfect.

XR6_4EVA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
MAD
Petro-sexual

I'm running a supercat cat-back system with centre and rear mufflers. (both straight through design)
It is quiet at cruise, no drone at all, but has an alright note inside when you get up it.
I havent heard it from outside to tell you if it sounds like a vacuum or not.

I've also got a redback system at home with centre muffler and straight through rear section. I'm going to mix and match to see if I can find something a little deeper and louder without going excessively loud and droney.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
XR6_4EVA
Hardcore I6 Enthusiast

Sounds good!

Mixing and matching yourself is really fun research, allows you to understand what exhaust components control what..
XR6_4EVA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
irdonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi mate,

I have a redback system on my XR6. Two straight through mufflers. No drone what so ever.

Cheers,

Ian
Old 08-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

this will be good to watch i have a Catback Redback with 2 mufflers and im about to fit a Set of Pacemaker 4499's to it it will be good to see how u guys do

Take some vids and post them up with the chages and stuff
Old 08-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I had a Redback catback fitted but was way too loud.

Another $100 had it quieter but still too loud.

Another $150 had it about right. It's louder than standard (Ghia) but quite ok for us.

We do a lot of long trips and an exhaust that's too loud is a pita. Combine that with the fact that $2G's of sound is wasted it was a no brainer from my end.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 11:22 PM   #7
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I have pacemaker 4480's into 2.5" metal cat into 2.5" mandrel redback exhaust with a hotdog, muffler, and resi, and it sounds pretty quiet. Not as quiet as stock. But definitely quieter than some people I know that have similar systems and only running 1 muffler.

I like mine quiet as it adds to the stealth/sleeper appeal. I dont even have a tip, and the exhaust just bends down at the end to look very stock.

I can definitely hear my exhaust under full load, but frankly speaking in day to day traffic, my exhaust is very pleasant and doesnt drone at all at high way speeds.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont