Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Attention Newcastle residents!

My wife & I are heading over to Newcastle (suburbs) to live in Feb.-March so I would like some suggestions of some highly regarded suburbs in that city. I am heading over there on the 21st for another look around, however we would prefer to buy a near ( or new) home in a modern area. Any recommendations? Many Thanks, Duane.

duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Good suburbs

Probably include Merewether, Adamstown, Highfields/Redhead/Kahibah, Warners Bay, & anywhere around the edge of Lake Macquarie from Wangi Wangi to Swansea. The big problem with Newcastle there is few new developments, a bit around warners bay, Mt Hutton, Cameron Park, Maryland & Toronto. There is plenty up around Maitland though if your willing to drive, in fact is you are willing to drive Maitland if always worth a look.

More important than any of what i just said is suburbs to avoid, out: Mayfield, Hamilton South, Warabrook, Jesmond, parts of Lambton, Windale, Wickham & Tighes Hill. Way to much commission housing but a few of these in the ghetto category.

Also check out, a thread that i just remembered from a year ago.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ight=newcastle

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods

Last edited by Fairlane; 09-01-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

also ashtonfield, somerset park morpeth manor and aberglaslyn in the maitland area are good avoid the old section of metford ( new new secion east of the TAFE is good)and tenambit
feel free to PM me if you want my phone number for further advice

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You guys are a god send! I'm booked to go to Newcastle on the 21st of this month, with a focus on Cameron Park at this stage. My wife has family at Maitland, but I don't mind Raymond Terrace either. But I heard getting broadband there i problematic ( technology blockers etc.) Your information is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cameron park is good but forget raymond terrace it's full of ferrals

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 13-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
outside
off in outer space

im in metford, on the edge of the old section, yes it has some problems but where doesnt. its clean, has open areas with lots of trees. buses run though it and has a train station. takes me 20 mins to get to work in newie
outside is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
Cameron park is good but forget raymond terrace it's full of ferrals
ah raymond terrace, the single mother capital of newcastle. also a high number of RAAF houses (i grew up in RT living in vogel st as a RAAF brat).

toronto isn't as bad as it used to be, (live on the eastern side of the high school and it's good) boragul is a bit dodgy.

my parents live at wangi, from there to the cbd of newcastle is only 40 minutes in good traffic.

i'm hoping to move back in the next couple of years, im over sydney.
SNB05T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #8
AusM
AusMotorsport

Do you have a budget in mind? What part of town will you be working in? I'd have to agree with all of the above...

I lived in Kahibah for a bit which I really liked - quiet, close to bush and beach, not far from Charlestown (shopping centre) and Warner's Bay/Lake Macquarie... mostly old houses though, and probably very little available.
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 11:59 PM   #9
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My budget is $375,000 - $425,000. Not fussed on the travel as Newcastle CBD is within reach within most suburbs anyway. But the home must have 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and double garaging. And near new preferably. Cameron Park does have a few on offer at the moment in that price range.
Old 14-01-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
AusM
AusMotorsport

With that budget and a house that big, it sounds like outer suburbs for sure... maybe the Toronto and Maitland directions as mentioned?
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #11
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I have spent some time here in Newcastle now and have just about given up on the hope to buy a property at Cameron Park. I have just established that the bulk of the work will be from an organisation in Maitland, so tomorrow I'm heading off to ashtonfield / somerset park / thornton for the property search. Hoping for some luck!
Old 28-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #12
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Newcastle people, what is the suburb Fletcher like? On my recent trip there it was a suburb that I did miss! However, I do miss the service I recieve from Real Estate agents here in Adelaide. In Newcastle ( and surrounding surburbs ) the real estate companies are nothing short of woeful.
Old 29-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #13
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

fletcher is Quite good

Rides:

Old 29-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #14
VSSII

Fletcher is quite nice with some decent sized blocks to boot. However it's just down the road from Summer Hill Tip and the afternoon prevailing wind often brings with it the tip smell. Summer Hill tip is the Newcastle City Council tip. A state of the art facility as far as tips go but it's still a smelly old tip! I know of some big dollar houses out there and some mates take great pleasure in asking what the smell is when we're outside. As the owners all deny it!
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 10:53 PM   #15
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL, I put an offer in on an Ashtonfield new property ( nowhere near the tip) which now has been accepted! It's on Lord Howe Drive for those in the know. Now to consider the paperwork, before I change my mind!
Old 01-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #16
JetBlack351
Hear me rumble......

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan b
ah raymond terrace, the single mother capital of newcastle. also a high number of RAAF houses (i grew up in RT living in vogel st as a RAAF brat).

toronto isn't as bad as it used to be, (live on the eastern side of the high school and it's good) boragul is a bit dodgy.

my parents live at wangi, from there to the cbd of newcastle is only 40 minutes in good traffic.

i'm hoping to move back in the next couple of years, im over sydney.
funny you say that i currently reside in vogele and i'd have to say it is one of the best streets around here lol
Old 02-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #17
GTBenny
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome to the area Ddarby. Hope your liking the surroundings.

Benny
GT 335 MKII, ZF6, Tein coilovers, YT snout, 61mm pulley, KPM 1500HP fuel system, 1000cc injectors, E85, KPM exhaust, BMC air filter, KPM Streetfighter intercooler, built tail shaft, Truetrac, 479rwkw - 950nm.
GTBenny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post