Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 23-01-2005, 12:28 AM   #1
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

Lightbulb power windows common problem fix

For all you people with the common power windows problems.

I just found out why my front passenger window wasnt goin down - it had a "dry joint" on one of the switch pins. it was VERY hard to see. i thought may as well giv it some heat and solder, and voila - most annoying problem fixed and real bloody easy at that. this was on a EB2 fairmont.
I also cleaned the insides of the switch which were pretty dirty, this didnt fix the problem, but id say the window wouldnt have gone down without the clean.

Tihs was its second switch pad from new and am not suprised if this fault is engineered into them....

i was going to put a switch on it from jaycar but now very happy i dont have to fuuk around. Im sure a few of you have or had this problem and I hope this can help ya's.

btw. if you didnt know, switch pads are 140 brand new.....
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 08:16 PM   #2
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

everyone's power windows are working??.................
Old 24-01-2005, 08:17 PM   #3
EFFalcon
Last warning

i know mine are
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 08:57 PM   #4
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I really need to clean my switch out, the front two are playing up.

However, I have a brand spankers gear shift surround, it doesn't really match the button surround.....
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2005, 10:09 PM   #5
Barbenator1000

my bak left power window is jammed. it goes down but not up (well not without serious help from someone liftin it) i jus bought this eb2 xr6 and was wonderin if i can fix this prob myself or do i need new electrics? i heard they are expensive so it is to b avoided at all costs
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 01:41 AM   #6
EBII Ghia

My EBII Ghia has the same problem. Back LH window goes down ok, but needs pulling and pulsing of the door sw to get it back up.
EBII Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 02:43 AM   #7
wheels_au

I own an ED fairmont, my switches are ok, but I think that the motors and the cables are buggered on my back two.....? is that a common problem? as they go down but not up, they kinda jam?
Old 21-02-2005, 01:52 PM   #8
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The front passenger window in my ef xr6 is really slow going up sometimes and the other night it basically slowed to a crawl and luckily went up. This happened to a mates S15 200sx except his eventually stopped and wouldn't even go up, so he took it to N1 and they quoted $450 to fix it then he went to a local auto electrician who found out the bushes were stuck in the motor (if that sounds right?) anyway $66 later it was fixed, i might go to the same place and get mine checked out.
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 10:20 PM   #9
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

if its making a creaking noise it think its to do to with the motor.

if it makes no noises but works one way but not the other it is possibly to do with the switch pad, pull it out and resolder the switch connections of the window not workin

my back windows are also making a creaking noise and dont really go up or down without assistance....cant be fuked trying to see what the problem is though......
Old 21-02-2005, 10:26 PM   #10
trueblue
01 Falcon Ute

YEah.,. i have he same problem same thing 2

WTD mags to suit AU Falcon ute, AU XR rims or BA 18" xr rims. PM ME
trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2005, 11:58 AM   #11
nikkoli
BA Fairmont Ghia 04

youre all off the mark...I had the same problem and replaced the mechanisms but it didn't help....pull the windows out and clean the felt which lines the side channels...I used spray CO plastic safe solvent....then applied CRC dry glide to the felt and the window edges....go perfectly now
nikkoli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2005, 12:32 PM   #12
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkoli
youre all off the mark...I had the same problem and replaced the mechanisms but it didn't help....pull the windows out and clean the felt which lines the side channels...I used spray CO plastic safe solvent....then applied CRC dry glide to the felt and the window edges....go perfectly now
good advice my man
right on the money
i didnt believe it when someone told me to do it
but damn i was amazed at the results
TS50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2005, 12:35 PM   #13
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Yeah I had dry joint happen to the passenger window of my electric windows, and also had dry joint problems with my SLS, nothing a soldering iron and a little solder havent been able to fix :0)

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2005, 01:14 PM   #14
darkfang888
ED Fairmont 4.0L

Mine work, but the left rear gets halfway down and then goes really slow. Still works though.
Old 16-03-2005, 01:31 PM   #15
Bass Crazy

Electric windows suck!!!

Im getting sick of fixing these Ford windows. Even converting the fronts to EL did not last very long. I fixed two on Monday. Sheared spline gear, and a broken spring retainer on the other.

But then again, my mates commo's are just as bad. Manual window winders for my next car please!
Bass Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2005, 07:09 PM   #16
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

My drivers window gets stuck about half way up and needs a little help. I'm too lazy to do anything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2005, 07:14 PM   #17
EFFalcon
Last warning

silicone spray does a lot
when i installed my power windows i sprayed silicone spray in the guides to help, still going nicely.
Old 16-03-2005, 07:16 PM   #18
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
silicone spray does a lot
when i installed my power windows i sprayed silicone spray in the guides to help, still going nicely.
I think you told me this when I first got the EL. Still cbf, besides winter is coming and I won't need to use my windows as much :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2005, 07:18 PM   #19
EFFalcon
Last warning

but when u do.. the water will make em worse :P
Old 16-03-2005, 07:39 PM   #20
galapogos01
eec tweaker

next time you use armourall, spray some in the window track. works for me.
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2005, 12:37 PM   #21
Bass Crazy

I do the whole track clean, engine grease, slide rail grease and silicone in the rubbers. They move quicker, but they still shit them selves.

I'd love to punch the engineer in the nose that decided a soft gear with a fine shaft spline would be reliable enough. And to top it all off, they get the crap metal gear to turn a plastic gear, makes a nice crunch noise when the plastic teeth strip off.

Last edited by Bass Crazy; 17-03-2005 at 12:38 PM.
Bass Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2005, 01:15 PM   #22
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This doesnt make me want to fit my electic windows. I wish I had of seen this thread last week before I bought a ghia!
Old 17-03-2005, 05:02 PM   #23
efsucker

I have problems with the front left window. It goes down ok but needs to be pushed to start going up, then the window stops and the motor shudders until you force it up again. When it gets to the top the motor makes this horrible noise. I lubricated the side channels but this didn't fix it. Has anyone experienced this problem before and any suggestions for a cure.
Old 23-03-2005, 12:55 PM   #24
nikkoli
BA Fairmont Ghia 04

Simply spraying lube down the channels wont do the trick.You gotta pull the windows out and use a plastic safe solvent to clean the felt.Use a dry lube...I once used lithium grease and it made them worse.
nikkoli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 09:36 PM   #25
EFShelby
Precision Imagery

Thankyou guys very much for starting this thread i thought it was only my windows that were s**t. I have something to do this weekend now

cheers
Old 03-04-2005, 07:00 PM   #26
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Yep i have the same problem with my fairmont ghia. My dad had an old fairlane ghia sitting in his yard and i took the old motors from them and replaced them with my front passenger side. New motor works like a dream. The problem was the "teeth" or the gear that is turned from the motor have flat spots causing the motor to turn but do nothing with the window, hence making that awefull shudder noise when you try to put the window up. The plastic teeth are weak as and with the ea electric windows have no sensors when it reaches the top so if you dont stop pressing the up/down button it will tend to wear the teeth.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 05:44 PM   #27
c_royce
Starter Motor

Default EF2 Fairmont front passenger window

Hey all,

I was driving my brother's 95 'mont last night, had to wind the window halfway down, and when I tried to wind it up, it jammed and I heard a snapping sound.

So today I pulled off the door inner, and found that the wire has come loose from wherever it's attached to the window. It's a pain to get anything done inside there, and I figured this seemed to be a common problem (the jamming at least) so I hope you guys have some cheap advice.
c_royce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 05:55 PM   #28
efgiar
rofl copter

i had the same problem, cleaned the switches to no avail, then as i was playing with it noticed a spark coming from the solder join, and u can JUST see a crack around the pin were is doesnt make contact, i added a fair amount of solder so the next thing to go will be a track, and thats an easy fix anyways, i also resoldered som suss looking joins aswell.

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 06:22 PM   #29
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

I think they use graphite powder to lubricate the tracks for the glass, if you keep it lubed all the time it would take load of the motor and the switch.

Just some things to keep in mine.

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 06:52 PM   #30
Dezza
Parts bin special

Well, my right rear window died AGAIN yesterday. The gear is spinning on the shaft again. A few months back, I had a pin put into the gear but that has obviously snapped. I'm fed up with my windows and I must admit, my car is annoying the hell out of me at the moment. I think that window has had it. Money is very tight at the moment, so when funds permit, I will replace the whole motor.

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post