Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-10-2017, 11:28 AM   #1
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Porsche working on fast charging

Quote:
“If this car could be charged as fast as I refuel my own car, I’d have one tomorrow.” It’s a familiar refrain from many who have sampled electric cars, love the quietness, the acceleration, the seemingly limitless torque and the surface-skimming centre of gravity.

Porsche might not have quite attained that just yet, but its Cayman e-volution demonstrator and 800-volt charging system is a massive leap forward in cutting the wait for EVs to charge.

We’ve seen plans for the 800-volt system for a couple of years now. It’s being developed hand-in-hand with the Mission E supercar, due to launch in production form in 2019, and the big sell here is that it claims to be able to charge that car to 80 percent capacity in a mere 15 minutes.

That’s about the time I take to fill my car, get diverted by the servo’s chocolate selection and then cycle through four attempts to remember the PIN on my fuel card.

Based on the previous-gen 981 Cayman, the e-volution features what Porsche rather awkwardly dubs ‘Turbo Charging’. It’s has a range of around 200km and can knock over 100km/h in 3.3sec, that’s more than a second quicker than the current 718 Cayman S. It’s helped by all-wheel drive and the 38kWh lithium-ion battery pack that propels it to a top speed of 192km/h.

The Turbo Charging accumulator fast-charging system charges at a capacity of up to 320kW per vehicle and is set to be rolled out across Europe by 2020 in partnership with Audi, BMW, Daimler and Ford. Porsche claims it’s designed to be used as a supplement to high-power fast charging networks with medium voltage connections. To put that 320kW figure into perspective, Tesla’s juiciest superchargers are good for around 120kW.

The power wars are already kicking off in a battle to develop the most potent chargers. Porsche’s 320kW Turbo Charging figure is equalled by Volkswagen’s Electrify America scheme and pipped by the 400kW ChargePoint Express Plus tech. The champ? That’d be Geneva’s bus chargers that crank out 600kW, topping up the batteries in 15 seconds with enough juice to get them to the next stop.
https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news...-fast-charging
Old 19-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #2
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: Porsche working on fast charging

320kw of propulsive force out of a combustion engine is exhilarating. But 320kw of electrical power coming through a cable or out of a battery is frightening and lethal. Electricity is merciless and knows no sympathy. Couple this with human stupidity, many won't get a second chance....
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2017, 06:57 PM   #3
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
320kw of propulsive force out of a combustion engine is exhilarating. But 320kw of electrical power coming through a cable or out of a battery is frightening and lethal. Electricity is merciless and knows no sympathy. Couple this with human stupidity, many won't get a second chance....
Current has no bearing of how bad you get a shock. It's voltage that makes a bigger difference as to how bad you cop it. Whilst it's nothing enjoyable to me it's an occupational Hazzard at times. The human body has an average resistance of 2.2k ohm. If your dehydrated it may be more. If you just jumped out of the shower then it will be less. But this is my example. Less resistance means more current to pass through your body. Also the path makes a difference. If you cop it from your left hand to exit in your right hand then it crosses you heart and that's much worse then if it enters your hand and exits your elbow. The current capacity of what ever you touch has no bearing of what your body draws. I had worse shocks off 8 amp control circuits then the few times over the years I've slipped up on mains supplys. It only takes 30 to 50mA to kill a person and that's not much at all. Not that I'd even try it with the batteries in a ev car with their high voltage batteries, but they are separated from the physical earth. In theory you could (without touching tge chassis I assume) put a finger on the battery pack positive and be fine. Touch the negative at the same time then youd get messed up. Ev cars do have the potential to be dangerous in an accident because if the battery chamber gets mangled the batteries could short or cause a hazard to emergency workers. I am a skeptic to new technologies as the old stuff works fine.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Current has no bearing of how bad you get a shock. It's voltage that makes a bigger difference as to how bad you cop it. Whilst it's nothing enjoyable to me it's an occupational Hazzard at times. The human body has an average resistance of 2.2k ohm. If your dehydrated it may be more. If you just jumped out of the shower then it will be less. But this is my example. Less resistance means more current to pass through your body. Also the path makes a difference. If you cop it from your left hand to exit in your right hand then it crosses you heart and that's much worse then if it enters your hand and exits your elbow. The current capacity of what ever you touch has no bearing of what your body draws. I had worse shocks off 8 amp control circuits then the few times over the years I've slipped up on mains supplys. It only takes 30 to 50mA to kill a person and that's not much at all. Not that I'd even try it with the batteries in a ev car with their high voltage batteries, but they are separated from the physical earth. In theory you could (without touching tge chassis I assume) put a finger on the battery pack positive and be fine. Touch the negative at the same time then youd get messed up. Ev cars do have the potential to be dangerous in an accident because if the battery chamber gets mangled the batteries could short or cause a hazard to emergency workers. I am a skeptic to new technologies as the old stuff works fine.
Just another hazard, like carrying 80 or so litres of flammable/combustible liquid behind you.
Old 22-10-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
Fordblue1000

I have seen these chargers first hand. The cables and plugs are glycol cooled in order to handle the heat generated. Very impressive indeed. All through europe high capacity chargers are becomming more available - al be it at a cost to the consumer - over time they will replace bowsers. Just be thankful that most manufacturers are using a similar charging protocol, so they are generally compatible. Oh Then there tesla...

Right now there is alot of 300kw units which are used for busses and trucks. Interestingly these ev's are returning a lower operating cost of almost 30%. Thats a massive saving and shows why an LA bus company just placed an order for over 300 units recently. Biggest issue for these is power though. You need to upgrade power supplies on a massive scale....
But back to topic, great to see that the car manufacturers are using the high capacity charger systems more and more. It opens up more options for the end user experience.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk
1963 morris.
1920 model T
Fordblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: