Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default Programming an AU Key

OK, so as some of you may have seen, I busted my key in the ignition barrel today and then busted the tip off my spare trying to loosen what was in there to a point I could get it out with tweezers or something.

Now I have a big problem. I called the Ford dealer about the cost of a new key, and they gave me a whole story (I call BS) that they'll have to sell me TWO new keys. On top of that, I'll have to get the car towed to them to have them programmed.

Surely its not going to be that expensive, isn't there some way you can buy a new key and program it yourself without having to buy two (kind of like you do with the remotes when you get a new one of them)?

All I need is one new key just so I can DRIVE my car once I get the bit out of the barrel, I don't NEED two keys so buggered if I'm paying $140/key for TWO of them.

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
DW260

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think Ford is correct. I enquired at Mr Minute about getting a copy of my key and they quoted $170. They had to place the key in some sort of code reader/transponder which then gave them the details.

So if you can't start your car, with either of the keys, or even get a copy done because of the damage, you will most likely need a tow somewhere.

My step-dad now has two keys for his AU wagon. One to get in, the other to start it. Cost him around $300.
FPV GS Ute #370/Brembo brakes
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Is there no way they can get the code from the key even if its broken? I assume the chip with all that would be in the black chunky bit on the key which is still fine?

And exactly how do I program a new key to the car? Surely if I go buy another key (or two like Ford want me to) there should be some way to whack it in, hit demister three times to teach the car that it has a new key? This will save me a tow if I can get down to the dealer to grab a new key and program it myself.

Sigh, I REALLY can not afford this right now. Looks like the Colt is gonna get used a fair bit more for a while, while the AU sits disabled.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

A key place may be able to code a new key using the broken one. As far as I know, there is no need to cut the key as such - it's all about the transponder (I could be, and probably am, wrong about that though). You may need to take both keys with you though, as they may need both just to confirm that the car is yours.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Yeah AU keys are different, suited to the lock, and also coded to the lock iirc.

This can be proven by the door lock which isn't coded, just a lock, (which in itself can be proven by the fact you can open a falcon door without a battery) and any AU key will lock a falcon but only the one for the particular car will open it.

GUESS WHO FOUND THAT OUT THE HARD WAY :
Old 15-12-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
T3man
Banned

Go to a wreckers and get a new ign barrel and two keys - you still need to get Ford to "link" the new barrel and keys to your BCM. Of course you could also get the BCM out of the same wreck as the barrel and keys - then you just need to go to Ford to get them to code your BCM to the chassis number. Whatever way you go you have to get to a Ford workshop ...
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
DW260

I'm pretty sure the code is held in the "fob" or "black bit thingy" part of the key.

Take it into a key-cutter and try your luck.
FPV GS Ute #370/Brembo brakes
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post