Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 19-05-2013, 02:05 AM   #541
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 
Default Re: HSV GTS LSA lettuce tomato & special sauce on a sesame seed bun

At the end of the day...

Give the falcon 1000hp, handling like a F1 car and Bugatti like elegance...and it wont matter...half of AFF will dis-credit it for some reason and HSV will still sell double because its a HSV.

The point?

None...HSV have released a car built on the next generation expansion of the omega platform. All of a sudden FPV's efforts are useless, the world has ended and if you don't like the new GTS you are some sort of blind-eye-nobody.

Fact is, the GTS is a fantastic car going of the spec sheet, HSV have worked wonders on it...it will no doubt be credible on the track.

does this mean FPV are all of a sudden redundant?

Nope...

Its just awesome to see the our little island is host to these 4-door muscle cars, that take on the world...that's what matters.

And, yes, we are aloud to have an opinion on how something looks...and, yes we are aloud to challenge the performance numbers given...

What's rivalry without a rival?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 19-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #542
austyphoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
He is staking the times made by journo;s as a basis for his statement? I have seen how they are done by journos and they ain't real scientific let me tell you

I know dynos are not the be all and end and really should only be used for tuning purposes ..... but really?
There are more buyers that rely on magazine reviews than internet forums. The GT R-spec has been fairly underwhelming in reviews (when it comes to performance numbers), after the initial 4.6s and 12.6 1/4mile review. Yes there are plenty of owners that have achieved great times on the strip but the same can be said for any car.

In direct comparisons the 300 SRT8, which is heavier, has thinner tyres (always a complaint about the FPV) and supposedly less power (350kw manufacturer claim), has equaled or bettered the GT R-spec times. If the GT does have 330rwkw then it's times are pretty disappointing.

FPV cannot simply change the badge number, they have to change the car itself. You are delusional if you think most people only care about the badge number. When you are buying a car $70+k, you want it so have some features other than a bigger engine (look at the sales figures). I've seen some posters state "I'd rather get a GS and get a tune, it'll equal the GTS in power then!", you are in the vast MINORITY and a manufacturer would be committing suicide catering to that small market.

FPV will need to invest in some technology to compete with HSV, if not then their numbers will slip even further into the abyss.
4 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #543
EVLKNEVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by austyphoon View Post
I've seen some posters state "I'd rather get a GS and get a tune, it'll equal the GTS in power then!", you are in the vast MINORITY and a manufacturer would be committing suicide catering to that small market.
Is that why the XR6 Turbo has been so successful?

I suppose the GS needs a bit of price adjustment to better tap into the 'bang for your buck' cult market, the $100,000 GTS is clearly not aimed at that market. It's aimed at a much smaller one.
Old 19-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #544
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Kilowatts schmillowatts. 335 KW = 450 hp.

It's speed that matters. There is any number of stock 335's that have run a 12, with I think a 12.2 being the best of it. I know my GTE has run several 12's with a best of 12.43.@117 (I think) Cool night proper drag track, no spare but otherwise stock.

Now the GTE weighs in at a portly 1880kg for the car + 100kg for the driver less 20kg for the spare. So a total of 1960 kg. Now if you get out your Moroso Speed power calculator. The numbers don't gel.

I'm sure the GTS will be quicker, a little bit in a straight line and a lot on a circuit. But it's the next evolution rather than the game changer HSV make it out to be. Lets not forget the majority of HSV will be the N/a LS3. Back at 317 & 340 KW. Advertised, and they will still be ugly.
Old 19-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #545
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the big picture guys, most are not going anywhere near a track and of those that do the majority will be on a short straight once or twice.

Any who have actually driven road cars, as in commodores and falcons, on a circuit will be aware that a squillion killerwasps and multi-phasic dihederal throbotron suspension will only allow you to see the EVOs etc for a second or two longer before they disappear off in the distance.

In a straight line on a sticky track with the right tyres some good times may be seen but on the usual polluted crappy roads where these vehicles spend the majority of their time only a tiny component of the available performance can actually engaged before traction is lost and the internal safety systems shut it all down.

If you like the GTS go and buy one. If you prefer FPV then buy one of them.

To me both marques have gone bezerk with styling and now the GT-E and F6-E have been discontinued nothing in either HSV's or FPV's stable really appeals to me at all.
3 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #546
strik9
aka fpv747

does anyone have any idea what power the gts
could make with a tune? and the quality of the internals? people seem want to compare a tuned 335 to it.
i,m really interested if anyone wants to have a shot that has some realistic concept of its potential
Old 19-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #547
84dau

What if ford made a GT coupe?

Previous rides
84DXC 78 Falcon 500 XC 302 collum shift auto
03 XR6T manual blue print
84DAU 99 AU falcon ute
86 XF falcon 4.0L
Old 19-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #548
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84dau View Post
They do....

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/
This user likes this post:
Old 19-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #549
Uwish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84dau View Post
We'd have a winner!
Ford need to step it up with the interior. Holden / HSV have done a great job and Ford need to follow suit.
Tech updates
Update the Interior
Get a decent Diff
and staggered wheels on all FPV models.
Old 19-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #550
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by strik9 View Post
does anyone have any idea what power the gts
could make with a tune? and the quality of the internals? people seem want to compare a tuned 335 to it.
i,m really interested if anyone wants to have a shot that has some realistic concept of its potential
They seem to go from about 460rwhp to around 490rwhp in in ZL1 Camaro's. Same platform as the GTS.
Old 19-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #551
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by austyphoon View Post
There are more buyers that rely on magazine reviews than internet forums. The GT R-spec has been fairly underwhelming in reviews (when it comes to performance numbers), after the initial 4.6s and 12.6 1/4mile review. Yes there are plenty of owners that have achieved great times on the strip but the same can be said for any car.

In direct comparisons the 300 SRT8, which is heavier, has thinner tyres (always a complaint about the FPV) and supposedly less power (350kw manufacturer claim), has equaled or bettered the GT R-spec times. If the GT does have 330rwkw then it's times are pretty disappointing.

FPV cannot simply change the badge number, they have to change the car itself. You are delusional if you think most people only care about the badge number. When you are buying a car $70+k, you want it so have some features other than a bigger engine (look at the sales figures). I've seen some posters state "I'd rather get a GS and get a tune, it'll equal the GTS in power then!", you are in the vast MINORITY and a manufacturer would be committing suicide catering to that small market.

FPV will need to invest in some technology to compete with HSV, if not then their numbers will slip even further into the abyss.

most falcons and commodores I've seen with around (335kw) 450hp at the wheels are running 12s down the quarter mile. sounds about right to me
Old 19-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #552
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwish View Post
We'd have a winner!
Ford need to step it up with the interior. Holden / HSV have done a great job and Ford need to follow suit.
Tech updates
Update the Interior
Get a decent Diff
and staggered wheels on all FPV models.
I reckon go opposite. A bare bones "racer" at half the GTS price that wipes the floor of HSV's. Who needs electric park brakes, heated electric seats etc!
A real drivers car, not some fancy look at me and all my gizmos car.
After all, most the talk on here is about power outputs and track times.
3 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #553
f6 boss

in the states people are getting about 40hp with a tune only, reason being it has an aggressive tune from GM already

Quote:
Lets not forget the majority of HSV will be the N/a LS3. Back at 317 & 340 KW. Advertised, and they will still be ugly
I think come early 2014 the rest of the non GTS hsv line up would get the new LT1 engine 5.5ltr that is debuting in the new c7 corvette. This engine comes with very cool features just search it.
Old 19-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #554
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
I reckon go opposite. A bare bones "racer" at half the GTS price that wipes the floor of HSV's. Who needs electric park brakes, heated electric seats etc!
A real drivers car, not some fancy look at me and all my gizmos car.
After all, most the talk on here is about power outputs and track times.
Problem with that is its a limited market. If they did bring a hardcore stripped out GT into the market it'd go the same way as the XR8, F6E, GTE, F6X. People will complain when its gone, but nobody bought them when they were actually for sale.
3 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #555
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6 boss View Post
I think come early 2014 the rest of the non GTS hsv line up would get the new LT1 engine 5.5ltr that is debuting in the new c7 corvette. This engine comes with very cool features just search it.
The LT1 has already been revealed as a 6.2 with DI and VCT, producing 450 hp and 450 lb ft.
While no 7.0 litre Corvette engine, I don't think it would take much to get the HP and torque to that level..
Old 19-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #556
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
To me both marques have gone bezerk with styling and now the GT-E and F6-E have been discontinued nothing in either HSV's or FPV's stable really appeals to me at all.
I am surprised that FPV stopped that side of the business, I would have thought that outsourcing
interiors to boutique trimmers would be an excellent way to add a custom finish and feel to those vehicles.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #557
Rodge
Banned

I have little doubt that a reasonable number of FPV owners, (myself probably included), will have a look at the GTS, and some will be brave / silly enough to ask for a change-over figure, (doubtful I'll be that stupid). I think the vast majority of those, when they see the amount of money they're asking to change-over will think to themselves, actually my FPV is a bloody awesome car and if that's all they'll give me as a trade-in price they can go **** themselves.

After 8 years of dominance since the Typhoon first came out in 2005, HSV probably,(and not before time), have the performance wood over FPV... BUT it doesn't mean the world has ended. FPV owners still have fantastic cars that are far better value for money. From a technology and equipment point of view i'm really pleased they've made the GTS, if people want the kit they now have the chance to anti-up and buy it without paying Merc E63 or BMW M5 money. The customer is the winner as we all now have more choice and I am hopeful or a solid response from Ford in due course..

Last edited by Rodge; 19-05-2013 at 02:29 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #558
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If FPV was to offered a new GT with R-Spec and intercooler, all at a price 20,000 less than the GTS, how many fans would be enticed?

I have a feeling that the majority of buyers remain tribal and loyal to their brand with just a few who float depending on offerings and price.

What's more important than the GTS is how Ford or FPV responds to the entire refreshed HSV range until the 2014 car arrives.
FPV buyers are asking for a reason to go buy a new car but if its still the same as the one they already have then what's the point?
Perhaps it's time to increase power and equipment levels in GS and GT to give buyers encouragement to keep buying improving cars..

Last edited by jpd80; 19-05-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 19-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #559
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
If FPV was to offered a new GT with R-Spec and intercooler, all at a price 20,000 less than the GTS, how many fans would be enticed?
As long as it has the kit we talked about recently, adaptive cruise, blind spot, lane departure and a proper high end stereo system and it has genuinely fresh styling as some have taked about on here you can count me in for a new GT-P R Spec !

I can make do just fine without forged wheels, disc brakes any bigger than the current 6/4 Brembo's, heads up display and some of the other trinkets.
Old 19-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #560
strik9
aka fpv747

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6 boss View Post
in the states people are getting about 40hp with a tune only, reason being it has an aggressive tune from GM already

cheers, i,m heavily debating getting one. but with such a small margin for extra rwkw. not sure its worth it. it is growing on me with all the extra tech too it.

i do always seem to find my way back for the rush of the f6 though. i had the 335 with a tune but after a while found myself looking for the rush. haha

so if they were pulling an extra 70rwkw out of them like the 335 i,d be in,but 20rwkw are nope can't say it,d be worth living on the couch

Last edited by strik9; 19-05-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 19-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #561
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What do you guys make of Hyundai's plans to now sell the new generation Genesis sedan over here next year? Word is either a reworked 3.8L V6, the new twin turbo 3.3L V6 or the 5L V8.
Old 19-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #562
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85 View Post
What do you guys make of Hyundai's plans to now sell the new generation Genesis sedan over here next year? Word is either a reworked 3.8L V6, the new twin turbo 3.3L V6 or the 5L V8.
Off topic and I'm yawning already, who cares....

Here's some interesting technical stuff on the new LT1 engine that was referred too above.
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar136830.html

Looks interesting but in my book "boost is best"
Old 19-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #563
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Off topic and I'm yawning already, who cares....

Here's some interesting technical stuff on the new LT1 engine that was referred too above.
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar136830.html

Looks interesting but in my book "boost is best"
Oh, sorry, I thought you may have got the connection. It will be in a way a competitor to both the FPV and HSV cars, much the same way as the 300C is. 4 doors, V8 engine etc etc.
Old 19-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #564
Rodge
Banned

Didn't mean to offend mate, I just don't think many people see the Genesis as a genuine competitor whereas the Chrysler SRT8 has the cred to be bracketed in the same group in my opinion.

Hmmm, I wonder how long it will be before SRT supercharge the 6.4 Hemi to join-in the forced induction power war ?
Old 19-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #565
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Didn't mean to offend mate, I just don't think many people see the Genesis as a genuine competitor whereas the Chrysler SRT8 has the cred to be bracketed in the same group in my opinion.

Hmmm, I wonder how long it will be before SRT supercharge the 6.4 Hemi to join-in the forced induction power war ?
If its cheaper and goes as fast or faster it will be. I have heard good things about the Genesis. will have too wait and see. the SRT8 seems too be forgotten in this argument but yes it does deserve too be in the same group
Old 19-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #566
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Don't see why they would with the Vipers V10 sitting around.
Old 19-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #567
Random Ranger
nondescript

Quote:
Just like the other imports we thought weren't contenders with the falcon and commodores a few short years ago and are now the cause of the demise of said falcodores?
Old 19-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #568
strik9
aka fpv747

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
If its cheaper and goes as fast or faster it will be. I have heard good things about the Genesis. will have too wait and see. the SRT8 seems too be forgotten in this argument but yes it does deserve too be in the same group
ok if we are even thinking of adding that. my votes in for the ford festiva just cause it has a draw under the passanger seat for chics shoes. ( couldnt help myself. we are going so far off topic)
Old 19-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #569
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
Don't see why they would with the Vipers V10 sitting around.
Because it doesn't fit in anything other than Viper and Ram Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Ranger View Post
Just like the other imports we thought weren't contenders with the falcon and commodores a few short years ago and are now the cause of the demise of said falcodores?
Combined sales of 300 are around 200/mth, I think it's a long bow to
suggest that Chrysler 300 is responsible for either HSV or FPV's demise..
Old 19-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #570
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by strik9 View Post
ok if we are even thinking of adding that. my votes in for the ford festiva just cause it has a draw under the passanger seat for chics shoes. ( couldnt help myself. we are going so far off topic)
Difference is the Genesis may be sold as a V8, ANY 4 door, V8 sold here is in the same market as Falcon/Commodore/300C.
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread