Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-12-2005, 04:54 PM   #1
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 3" Intake

Ok,

I have seen two intake setups on the AU 6 and just wanted to get some more info on em..

I have a 3" pipe from the intake to the first elbow and then just run the factory plastic around. This is what JMM also suggest for their race series intake. (with other things I know, but Im only talken bout pipes here)

Though I have seen the 3" all the way around to the TB

Any thoughts on which is better and why, plus is there any justification for paying the $500 all the way round verses $50 to the first elbow. Is it purely cosmetic, better air flow.. I gots no idea..

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Planned - Too much now I got the baby back.
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 08:56 PM   #2
SIKSIX
Its gone V

i got the 3" pipe from box to standard pipe with a hole in the airbox (sounds tuff) and have a 3" S/Steel pipe that goes all the way from airbox to t/b which a mate at work made for me for free......yes freee(i know : ) but yeah and when i install it i will get back to you on any difference..
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 09:04 PM   #3
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

I have the 3 inch all the way from the throttle body to the airbox. It is also set up to easily slot a pod onto inside the airbox. It is powdercoated & cost $200. An exhaust place in Sydney was making them & being sold on www.fordmods.com . I believe it has made a big difference although most beg to differ. I suggest you have a chat to an exhaust place as I have heard of them being made for a cheap as $90. One thing, most I have seen including mine are a tight fit under the bonnet.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:10 PM   #4
max^power
Formerly au^ute

i've got a massive peice of pvc pipe in mine. sounds loud at high rpm, but isn't helping me with fuel or performance. It's still a snail off the line.
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 10:38 PM   #5
buickman
buickman

A pic of 3" intake on the VCT ghia with pod filter in box
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 03:14 AM   #6
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats a very clean lookin engine bay!!
i want mine to look like that!!
blackers10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 06:48 AM   #7
hambo_12

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
A pic of 3" intake on the VCT ghia with pod filter in box

Nice, that looks 100% factory, where / how did you get it done?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 07:11 AM   #8
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Dyno tests in usa on mandrel bent tubing from throttle body to airbox show an improvement on torque and power from around 3200 rpm and up when replacing the factory plastic system.The car was a 5.0 mustang though.The author made the point that the mandrel bends made the difference to power.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 10:51 AM   #9
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambo_12
Nice, that looks 100% factory, where / how did you get it done?
I purchased it of the other forum that they were selling for $185.I ordered black so as it looked stock.

I've pulled 123rwk with just extractors on a mtr that broke down at top rpm's blocked A/F & stock rear muffler.

Hoping it should do better with the new intake system, leads, plugs & hot dog rear muffler next time it goes on a dyno. They are a problem to fit on the AU's as it does hit & you have the modify it a little. I used on line of grease on the pipe to see were it touched & fixed that area. Maybe why some tuner's do not use the last bend

Last edited by buickman; 09-12-2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:21 AM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

tested this a little while ago on the ute ... factory to aftermarket 3" pipe .... made a 5rwkw difference.

on road rolling performance was increased as well ... torque and response was better as well.

Definitely worth doing for sure.

Oh ... and this was on an AUII EGAS engine as well with the 50mm mixer ring in too.

EDIT: I also have the Tickford snorkel and Redline panel filter in the standard AU airbox.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 10:27 AM   #11
hambo_12

Pics? thats quite a good increase for not much money...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 10:28 AM   #12
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
tested this a little while ago on the ute ... factory to aftermarket 3" pipe .... made a 5rwkw difference.

on road rolling performance was increased as well ... torque and response was better as well.

Definitely worth doing for sure.

Oh ... and this was on an AUII EGAS engine as well with the 50mm mixer ring in too.

EDIT: I also have the Tickford snorkel and Redline panel filter in the standard AU airbox.
Well that is consistent with those 5.0 dyno tests as well.Sometimes you cant really pick extra power.
Is there hassles with insurance though?I will ring nrma today

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 10-12-2005, 12:53 PM   #13
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Well that is consistent with those 5.0 dyno tests as well.Sometimes you cant really pick extra power.
Is there hassles with insurance though?I will ring nrma today
Thats why I got it in black as it looks factory fitted.
I'am going to give it a run in Feb at Hallam perf if the dyno day goes ahead with v8 capri organising it. Will be interesting to see if there is much of a gain. Will try pod in box & BMC panel filter to see with there is any difference
Old 10-12-2005, 01:27 PM   #14
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Some nice work being done on intakes but seriously on six cyl 4 ltre falcons i think any claims for performance increase are just widhful thinking.

if its a mod your doing yourself and not costing $100's then why not as if nothing else it LOOKS like it should work.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 02:41 PM   #15
Stav
Smile

Well I think my stormwater pipe intake is pretty good value for money too.

Old 10-12-2005, 03:22 PM   #16
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
Some nice work being done on intakes but seriously on six cyl 4 ltre falcons i think any claims for performance increase are just widhful thinking.

if its a mod your doing yourself and not costing $100's then why not as if nothing else it LOOKS like it should work.
Tend to agree only difference I've noticed is more induction noise.Think the pod filter is the main cause.

But having said that every EF-AU ford ohc 6 I seen dyno'd that had a pipe between the box & first bend tend to pull around the 125 +rwk on the dyno's with exhaust system
Old 10-12-2005, 03:30 PM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I managed 99rwkw with just 2.5" cat-back exhaust ... the redline panel filter ... and the 3" intake pipe (was 94rwkw with factory pipe).

Mechanically everything else was just the standard dedicated EGAS AU engine ... through the stock 4-sp auto ... so not too bad I guess for a work ute
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post