Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 14-05-2006, 05:44 PM   #1
Terror6X
Formerly eawags

Default Fiesta Vs Zetec Vs Proton Savvy

Hey guys and gals,

Just after your biased opinions on why i should get a fiesta zetec?

Is the zetec worth it over the LX fez? From what i have read i will appreciate the handling aspect and close ratio gearbox.

I do 750km a week for work and travel on the weekend so petrol prices and economy is a concern.

The only 0-100 figures i have are from wheels with 10.7 for both the LX and Zetec, how are they the same?

The other car im looking into is the proton savvy. Yes its underpowered but handling is by lotus and highway consumption is said to be around 4.5L/100km on 95ron only but e10 compatable.
The other bonus to the savvy is all the standard equipement and its 5 door.

Thanks

Terror6X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
kenneth_lks
Fiestata!!

Hi, just like to tell you that I am from Malaysia. Thus, I'm able to tell you almost all the cars that made in Malaysia. In your case, I would say depends on what are you looking for. In fact, you shouldn't put Fiesta and Savvy together because they are different class. If you are looking for safeness and better handling, then Fiesta. I'm not teasing the technology of my country, although the 1150cc and suspension system with Lotus tech are amazing for the small SUV Savvy (it is the last Malaysian made vehicle with Lotus technology) but why don't you expand choices to some other Japanese cars..the only pro side for Savvy is very cheap for all modification parts, coz my cousin owned a Savvy in Malaysia with highly modified :
kenneth_lks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 07:50 PM   #3
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

The Zetec is certainly a better looking car. Pretty sure the Proton won't handle anywhere near as well as the Zetec, you're really talking about 2 completely different cars.
It's also got all the extras including some which aren't so obvious. The manual LX's only real loss is ABS, but it is an optional extra if you really need the 5 door.
The 3 door LX is a lot better value than a VW polo for similar $$, it's got nothing.
Don't Know which Wheels you're quoting, the new Zetec is supposed to be good for 0-100 in 9.9s.
Go the euro hatch, you know you won't regret it. I'm loving mine.
Old 14-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
Terror6X
Formerly eawags

I know they are totally different cars but out of all the small car market i came to fiesta and proton savvy for my own reasons.

I used to drive my mums peugot 306 auto quite a bit and although slow was so much fun to drive on winding, crappy roads with confidence. I hope the LX is something like the peugot and zetec betters it as that was 5 years ago.

I will only go 3 door fiesta as i think they look sexier and my 2 year old is old enough to make hes way in and out of the back.

The protons in the past have been of pretty poor quality so i will have to wait and see and go for a test drive. Couldnt be flatter and handle worse than the car i learnt to drive in, a 1.3L 5 speed festiva trio?

I will have to book a test drive for the LX and Zetec soon also.

Any fiesta owners here 6'4 like me?? Whats the leg and headroom like?
Old 14-05-2006, 08:11 PM   #5
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Hey eawags,

The Zetec would be the option I'd go with. Firstly, the performance would be much better then the Savvy, yet it wouldn't be that much of an increase in fuel consumption. The Fiesta Zetec would be safer, bigger, handle better, be quicker... and I'd say more reliable! Hell, it's a european semi-hot hatch! As quoted by Wheels, "The cheapest real driver's car".

To be honest, all the competition seems expensive when you look at what you are getting for you dollar. If you are after the Manual Zetec, you get the bonus of the MP3 Cable socket for Ipods and the like.

I'd say go with the Fiesta - I've seen the competition, and nothing compares!

I've been in;
Toyota Yaris 1.5L
Mazda2
2005 Barina Euro model 1.4L
Honda Jazz 1.5L
Renault Clio 1.6L

Nothing in the above field provided such a rev happy and energetic engine, and neither did they provide steering feedback. The Fiesta also had a great quality feel. Sure, it wasn't as good as the Honda Jazz, but just drive one and you will see why I would recommend the Fiesta! Steering in the Jazz was so light and airy... it was quite freaky. Especially on the cheese-cutter tyres!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 08:12 PM   #6
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eawags
Any fiesta owners here 6'4 like me?? Whats the leg and headroom like?
I'm not tall - but the Fiesta is by far the biggest small car interior room wise! The Savvy would be tiny....

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 14-05-2006, 08:26 PM   #7
kenneth_lks
Fiestata!!

actually..the interior room for 5 drs Savvy is as large as the 3drs Fiesta...leave Savvy apart now.

If you go for a manual Fiesta, you will the feel the 74KW power at the 2nd and 3rd gear, just like the power while VTEC kick in.

However, I don't like the Jazz VTIS is because the cornering isn't as good as the Euro Fiesta..I drive my Jazz only when my 1 1/2 month old nephew is together with me because of safety and comfort..

Last edited by kenneth_lks; 14-05-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 14-05-2006, 09:07 PM   #8
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
I'm not tall - but the Fiesta is by far the biggest small car interior room wise! The Savvy would be tiny....
Erm, it's not quite Honda Jazz like. They're almost amazing for their interior space!
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 10:05 PM   #9
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagom
Erm, it's not quite Honda Jazz like. They're almost amazing for their interior space!
Their interior is very flexible... But the Fiesta just feels very roomy! Hope into a Clio 1.6L and you will see how!

Old 15-05-2006, 12:36 AM   #10
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

I'm 6'1" and I don't have too many dramas with the interior size. My left leg rests on the centre stack of the dash but I like my legs close to the pedals.

For it's price you wont beat the Fiesta for it's driving prowess but if you're looking for value from a small hatch I'd suggest probably the Hyundai Getz. Proton are still too new for their designs to have matured especially since the Savvy is their first own design for the light car segment. As you may have noticed, their Satria was a Mitsubishi Mirage clone.
Old 15-05-2006, 01:59 AM   #11
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am 6'5" and have no problem fitting into a Fiesta! When my girlfriend was looking at buying a new car the Fiesta was the best car for the price and she loved it. She got a 3dr LX man with A/C for $16490 drive-away. At the time (2004) the Zetec was $19600 drive-away. To us the price difference was just not justified. Don't get me wrong the! The Zetec is great, but for the extra 3k you don’t really get a lot more to make it worth the extra coin.

Anyway as I said I am 6'5" and have no dramas with the interior space. It is a small car and compared to my BA but I still love getting behind the wheel of the little Fiesta and giving it a good workout. Both as passenger and driver it has plenty of room for a little car. Plus as a bonus you get an easy 600km+ out of 45L of ULP!

The Fiesta has a great engine and the gearbox is very nice and tight too. The built quality is a lot better then the local Ford products and it would be miles ahead of the Proton. Its a very very solid little car. As far as the Proton goes for built quality I am not so sure about it. Had a look at the Savvy and Gen2 at the last Perth Motor Show and the built quality was on par with a 90s Lada Niva. Opening and closing the drivers door was enough to make me just turn around and walk away!
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 07:01 AM   #12
kenneth_lks
Fiestata!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLeigh
I'm 6'1" and I don't have too many dramas with the interior size. My left leg rests on the centre stack of the dash but I like my legs close to the pedals.

For it's price you wont beat the Fiesta for it's driving prowess but if you're looking for value from a small hatch I'd suggest probably the Hyundai Getz. Proton are still too new for their designs to have matured especially since the Savvy is their first own design for the light car segment. As you may have noticed, their Satria was a Mitsubishi Mirage clone.
Savvy wasn't the first own design light car segment for Proton, there is quite a few different light cars in Malay but didn't export to other country. However, Savvy is the only light car with Lotus technology..

I guess you must have the decision now, if you really want a Proton. I reckon Proton GTI but just too expensive..lol
Old 15-05-2006, 06:59 PM   #13
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Their interior is very flexible... But the Fiesta just feels very roomy! Hope into a Clio 1.6L and you will see how!
To get the desired effect, I recommend sitting in the back of a Clio

I once almost bought one.
Old 15-05-2006, 07:28 PM   #14
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I'm 5'11" and I've had no problems with head- or legroom, even in the back seat of a 3-door LX. I have a baby capsule fitted in the back seat, right behind the driver's seat, and it still doesn't feel cramped.
I love this car.
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #15
Danny
GT4.

You won't be dissappointed in the Fiesta. You say that Lotus tunes Proton suspension, but Fiestas underpinnings come from a family of JWRC cars including Focus DNA, with years of experience, and it shows when you drive it. Truly a drivers car in every respect fast though it may not be.

The proton does not compare Lotus handling or not. The Fiesta is German Built. The quality shows the minute you start it, it is by far the way to go even if you must pay a bit of a premium for it.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2006, 04:12 PM   #16
Terror6X
Formerly eawags

Had a look at the savvy, fiesta and mazda 2 today. Those proton boys have picked up their act with quality compared to satria and the gen2. Even though the savvy is a small car the space is used very efficently. The interior was different. Simple but good enough. The standout was the support and design of the seats. I think i could live with it for three years as a comutter as the Fiesta zetec is just to small for me.

Next step is to test drive a 5 door LX and the proton savvy but im learning towards the savvy unless its worse than a festiva or the fiesta handling and engine blows me away.
Old 20-05-2006, 04:24 PM   #17
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Quote:
Had a look at the savvy, fiesta and mazda 2 today. Those proton boys have picked up their act with quality compared to satria and the gen2. Even though the savvy is a small car the space is used very efficently. The interior was different. Simple but good enough. The standout was the support and design of the seats. I think i could live with it for three years as a comutter as the Fiesta zetec is just to small for me.

Next step is to test drive a 5 door LX and the proton savvy but im learning towards the savvy unless its worse than a festiva or the fiesta handling and engine blows me away.
I'll tell you now, it'll blow you away...

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 02:36 PM   #18
Danny
GT4.

Quote:

Drive one.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 05:04 PM   #19
Terror6X
Formerly eawags

Now the wife is twisting my arm to go up a car size and price to the base model mazda 3 but that means waiting till september when they get an update with VVT and flyby throttle for increased power and economy. The 3 has it all over the focus.

Yes, i will drive one Danny.
Old 21-05-2006, 07:04 PM   #20
Lagom

Quote:
Now the wife is twisting my arm to go up a car size and price to the base model mazda 3 but that means waiting till september when they get an update with VVT and flyby throttle for increased power and economy. The 3 has it all over the focus.
The 3 has it all over the Focus - in what way?

The Focus is already throttle by wire and whilst it doesn't have VVT it has a variable induction tract.

Focus fuel economy is actually lower than the Mazda 3's too - not sure how they did it, but the figures are noticeably lower.

FWIW, the Focus has 3kW more than the equivalent Mazda 3s too. A bit quieter too, although I'd say the Mazda 3 has nicer trim materials.
Old 21-05-2006, 08:11 PM   #21
Terror6X
Formerly eawags

What ever i choose will be on a three year lease and then maybe buy it out so thats the reason for waiting for a newer model mazda 3 if that was to be the car but my gut feeling is fiesta zetec model now as it got the goods. Stuff the wife and 2y.o ;)Their not doing 1000km a week to work so i should at least enjoy my drive unlike the uninspiring savvy or even fiesta LX 4 door which then has to be optioned with 16'' alloys (tyres not included!) and ABS, then im still missing out on the close ratio gearbox, lower suspension, thicker roll bar etc.
Old 21-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #22
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Their not doing 1000km a week to work so i should at least enjoy my drive.
I do about 800km a week getting to and from work consisting of 40km each way by 5 days a week, takes about an hour each way, traffic here in Bris I swear is getting worse by the day.......if I would have one complaint about my WQ Zetec it is that the seats are a bit "firm"......give's one a bit of a numb rear by the end of the journey, just my opinion....haven't heard anyone else complain though......maybe I need a bit more "padding" in that area, perhaps a few more Macca's drive-throughs in order? :
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 09:06 PM   #23
Terror6X
Formerly eawags

40km and it takes you an hour, yuck.
I drive from southern gold coast to logan daily which is about 75-80kms and can take as little as 50min with most of it at 110 plus a few km/h.

What will the zetec's RPM be at 110?
Old 21-05-2006, 09:28 PM   #24
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What will the zetec's RPM be at 110?
"Hope ya sitting down for this?"............"3500rpm at 110km/h".........a little bit higher than some of the Fez's competitors.........but not by too much, the Swift is supposedly by professional reviewers "very tall geared and lopes along quietly for this class of car"........bear in mind that the Swift is still hitting around the 3000rpm mark at that speed, interesting too that the Fez apparantly has a higher top speed than the Swift by about 10km/h and yet one must presume will be spinning the little 1.6 Duratec at a higher rate of knots, I think most of the small cars these days are designed to rev higher than we have all been accustomed to in the past.
Bear in mind also that the Zetec has a shorter range of ratios right through the gearbox over the LX model ultimately designed for a quicker takeoff at the starting blocks, I can only concur that the LX would therefore be better out on the highway by virtue of having a taller final drive over the Zetec?
Might be something to consider if your'e doing a lot of highway driving coming from the Gold Coast every day?, doesn't matter to me of course as I just sit in traffic going nowhere trying to get over the Story Bridge into the City............hate it!! :
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 09:56 PM   #25
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

They rev pretty hard at 110kph, but it's about par for the course for the light car segment.
Old 21-05-2006, 11:14 PM   #26
TheColonel

I've just spent the weekend doing a 1000km round trip in my WQ Zetec (to co-drive a wrx in a rally) and the thing just sits there between 3 and 4000 rpm whilst highway cruising, behaves so well and does what it needs to when the foot is put down, fuel ecconomy was surprising too...
TheColonel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 04:53 PM   #27
Fled74
The Thread Killa

The engine note at that rev range is just musical - not raucous at all.
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 05:07 PM   #28
TheColonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flederschwein
The engine note at that rev range is just musical - not raucous at all.
It's glorious
TheColonel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 05:38 PM   #29
Terror6X
Formerly eawags

I all ready knew the 5 gear ratio but 3500 is a shock. Amazing it only sips 200mL more than the LX per 100km.

How many k's are you guys getting per tank of mostly highway driving?

Ive noticed the power figures are with 95ron, wondering if the new shell 100ron ethanol blend would give them a few more horses?

Pete
Old 22-05-2006, 06:00 PM   #30
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

I've heard varying stories about ethanol fuels so it might be worth asking the dealer how Fiesta is liable to handle it. My Dad ran an ethanol blend in his WA Festiva and it ran like e. I think we decided it was cos the old Festiva was a carby model and I know it has nothing in common with the Fiesta before anyone picks on that.