Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 25-01-2006, 11:36 AM   #1
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Default Custom Extractors

Hey guys,

I am thinking about purchasing some extractors. I understand that custom ones would need to be made, but what should I be looking for in terms of quality and build. Should I maybe just get a full system done?? I already have a 2inch catback. How much gain would i get either way?

Can anyone recommend places that do make custom extractors or can do a full system for under $1000? Ive heard of Hi Tech Mufflers doing extractors for $450, but not too sure if its quality.

Any help on this subject would be great as i am not too familiar with the whole thing.

Cheers

Damo

Old 25-01-2006, 08:41 PM   #2
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wish I could help, I'm looking for a set for my Focus, if I come across anything for my car or even yours, I will let you know

Cheers
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 08:55 PM   #3
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Awesome cheers mate but im in sydney and cant afford shipping but any info would be great
Old 25-01-2006, 11:14 PM   #4
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

I would go and talk to some different places, ask questions, see who listens, get some prices, then decide.

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 12:18 AM   #5
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HiTech mufflers have excellent quality stuff if you can afford them they are one of the best
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 10:15 AM   #6
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

That price of 450 was what i was quoted by hitech for mild steel mandrel bent extractors fully fitted and sprayed in a anti rust protective coating.

HiTech have a VERY good reputation for making extremely high quality products,
i was also quoted a very similar price from liverpool exhausts.

Damo, you would get the extractors and then get a highflow cat which should be another 250ish fitted.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 01:21 PM   #7
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

I'd get in contact with Best Mufflers, talk to Chris.

www.bestmufflers.com

He's always up for a challenge and does some great custom work (look at his site) like he did on my friend's Esprit.

Maybe also try Carline? Australia's Best (www.tyres.com) or Liverpool Exhaust. (Sorry, I don't have contact numbers).

Abraxas
Dshibi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 09:05 PM   #8
FlaminFiesta

nice site !!
FlaminFiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 09:31 PM   #9
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Well it looks like I wont be doing this mod for a number of reasons. Oh well!!
Old 30-01-2006, 11:22 PM   #10
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can you please list the reasons for me
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 09:27 AM   #11
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Well i would have the money for extractors once i get my licence back so thats not a reason. I got quoted $1380 from Hitech for a full exhaust and that including using my muffler when i did the cat back thing. Even just getting extractors will only give me max 10kw.

If i spent as much money as i could on performance mods (except getting a turbo) it would not even nudge 100kw. If I added a turbo ( 5-7grand gor a good setup) then yes it would definitley have some kick to it. But I cant justify spending that kind of money for average gain for a car thats not gonna be worth much in 2 years time. I think my money is best spent elsewhere. Im seriously concidering a XR5 or ST150 as both got the balls and looks to blow anyones load. Any everything performance wise is already there, so no messing about later on

Im just trying to think long term, and not waste money.
Old 31-01-2006, 10:22 AM   #12
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

mmmm. But your XR5 and ST150 will depreciate faster than any other Focus or Fiesta model, so you get screwed whichever way you go..

A second hand Focus XR5 or Fiesta ST150 is really the way to go, but you don't get that "new car" feeling (whatever that is worth).

And then can you resist the modding bug? And as soon as you mod an XR5 or ST150 you lower its resale value.

Life is full of quandry's
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #13
Al...

if it helps at all , i have spoken to liverpool exhaust, they quoted me $350 for the extractors to be built and fitted.....simply because they want a car as a template so to speak.As you may know they maunufacture hurricane headers and i have had their stuff on other cars and never had a problem with quality or workmanship...... .anyhow just a thought to save money for you and you could use your existing system. their number is 9602 3111
Al... is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 05:57 PM   #14
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Wow that sounds pretty good, but does that include Hiflow Cat?
Old 01-02-2006, 11:06 AM   #15
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Hey Al, thank for the PM, um i cant really be with out a car for 3 days, but will definitley keep it open as a option.

Yes Yes, i am reconcidering the thought of this mod, so please disregard the previous posts. I recently got an email back from Hi Tech and they said $1380 for the full system, which is a bit outta my budget. So ive asked for a quote just for extractors and highflow cat. If they can do it all for under $500, and do a before and after dyno then i will 99% do it.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:43 AM   #16
Al...

thats a good deal.... i understand about losing the car for 3 days too, thats difficult for most people
i hope it all goes well
Al... is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 08:52 AM   #17
joshf2
striped

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
Hey Al, thank for the PM, um i cant really be with out a car for 3 days, but will definitley keep it open as a option.
but if youve got a suspended licence......how can you not be without a car for 3 days?

anyway, from prior posts, youve said you have a catback system, so theres no real point to getting a full system, you'll have just wasted whatever you spent on the catback.

just go the extractors and cat
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 09:43 AM   #18
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Well my parents drive me car now and they need it more than me obviously.

Too right about the full exhaust, I was just curious mainly, I wouldnt have done it as u said a waste of money. Ill just stick woith the extractors and cat.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:04 AM   #19
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Hi Tech got back to me and offered the following

Extractors: $ 440.00 incl. GST
Hi flow cat ceramic: $ 360.00 incl. GST
Hi flow cat stainless steel: $ 560.00 incl. GST.

I am happy with the price for Extracts but not for the Kat. Ive researched some other places and can pick up a XForce 2inch for 130 -150, which i think is pretty good. But i probably just get Hi tech to install it all as they seem very interested in the thing, as it sounds like they havent done a fiesta before. Also if they can throw in a free dyno of b4 and after then they can have my business.
Old 31-03-2006, 12:19 PM   #20
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Ok, so my suspension is nearly finished in 16 days, and the idea of extractors/hi flow cat, is still picking my brain. Between my last post and this one, i have been told by a few peoples that "Ur car is an auto, and wouldnt have the same effects as a manual, just a waste of money". But the auto isnt sluggish or anything in my opinion.

This has kinda put me off a little, but just wanna here evryones feedback on this. as i wanna squeeze out a bit more oomph thats all.
Old 31-03-2006, 12:29 PM   #21
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

If the manifold is designed and built correctly then there are definite gains to be had.
No matter whether it is manual or automatic, there will be an improvement of some sort.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 31-03-2006, 02:59 PM   #22
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

I can't forsee any difference if it's an auto. The transmission itself and the way it performs (eg early upshifts in auto mode or downshifts at odd times) that will prove to be the limiting factor. That being said, I hear the Fiesta auto is one of the better ones for small cars.
Old 31-03-2006, 04:30 PM   #23
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Extractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLeigh
I can't forsee any difference if it's an auto. The transmission itself and the way it performs (eg early upshifts in auto mode or downshifts at odd times) that will prove to be the limiting factor. That being said, I hear the Fiesta auto is one of the better ones for small cars.
I think there will be a difference made,
In an auto if you want to have a spirited drive you select what gear you want it in, therefore you can hold it as long as you want it.

and to be completely honest i think it will make a great difference in an auto (autos are known for chewing up more power, worse ratios etc... so they are a bit slower)
4-2-1 manifolds are designed to optimise torque in the low and mid range, So it will most likely make the auto an even more pleasant car to drive.. (might get rid of a bit of that slugginess)
Only way to know is to get it done

Loads of fun :
Old 31-03-2006, 05:41 PM   #24
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Yes, but what I'm saying is that it's not the extractors that are the problem, it's the auto. So realistically there will still be gains to be had by installing extractors, but I wouldn't expect it to be suddenly better than a similarly modded manual version. The variable here is the transmissions. It might be my wording in what I said just before too, when I said I don't forsee any difference, I did mean I don't forsee any dramas.
Old 31-03-2006, 06:49 PM   #25
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default extractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLeigh
So realistically there will still be gains to be had by installing extractors, but I wouldn't expect it to be suddenly better than a similarly modded manual version. The variable here is the transmissions.
Im in agreement with you there, wouldnt expect it to be able to beat a manual with similar mods. The auto IS slower, my point i was trying to put across is that no matter what transmission, there will be gains. But yeah, as you said it wont make an auto faster than a manual in this case.

Cars like SS commodores, XR8's,XR6T's, 200sx, WRX's and Skyline's can get away with having an automatic trans because they have so much torque (well... not wrx's..) :SaiyanSmi Firestarter... lol

Little cars with little engines generally suffer badly from automatic trans and will most likely never keep up with a manual of the same make and model.

Loads of fun :
Old 31-03-2006, 07:22 PM   #26
BlackLS

Sorry to break the news, but I wouldn't spend anymore money on trying to get an N/A Fiesta to go faster if its an auto.
1. Its an auto 4 cyl.
2. Autos with louder exhausts sound crap
3. You can spend a million dollars on whatever custom headers you got made by NASA, it'll still go slower than a stock manual Fiesta.

Save your money and turbo it. Then auto will be ok. Or sell it and get a manual Fiesta.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 07:53 PM   #27
joshf2
striped

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Or sell it and get a manual Fiesta.
hahahahahah

ive been telling damo that for god knows how long :P
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 07:57 PM   #28
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Bleh - It will always be a Fiesta. Sell and get something else :P

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #29
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Seems the tribe has spoken - Damo its time to go.

Ok you all have come across with good feedback which is what i needed to make the decision. So the main factor is thats its an auto which is an obvious draw back, but i never said i would want to compete with a manual? its not the reason i would concider doing it. But i think ill just leave it as it is. Maybe concider it with the ST - the u will see some serious $h|T
Old 31-03-2006, 08:48 PM   #30
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

When the ST comes out - then you may speak! haha

Um, I just think the Auto is too much of a drawback to reep any benefits. If you really wanted performance, you should (I know you couldn't) have gotten the Manual.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post