Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-08-2018, 11:49 PM   #1
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Default Living in Tasmania

Hey all, been living on the Gold Coast for the past 30 years and used to love it, but now it is way too populated, traffic congestion and cost of living etc. have made me want to move.

I have always wanted to move to Tasmania. Have been there once before around 10 years ago and fell in love. Now I know people say it is never the same as when on holiday, but you know within yourself when something just feels "right" and Tasmania does that to me.

I have great family and friends here where I live, and that would be the only negative of moving as I will have no one in Tasmania as I'm single, but I feel the time to move on is imminent in the near future.

I work in Warehousing/Transport & Logistics/Storeman/Forklift etc. and know that jobs are hard to come by in Tasmania. I have started doing some homework and notice that the major Distribution Centres are in Launceston is that correct?

Anyway, been looking around Launceston and adjoining suburbs/towns and can't believe the price of houses, they are a LOT cheaper than here. I know wages are lower , but so is the cost of living I assume so it's all relative.

I am an outdoor person and love mountain biking and hiking and just living a laid back quieter life.

Would love to hear from the locals and people that have lived there about the Pros and Cons????

Cheers

Gossy
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2018, 12:03 AM   #2
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Default Re: Living in Tasmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossy View Post
Hey all, been living on the Gold Coast for the past 30 years and used to love it, but now it is way too populated, traffic congestion and cost of living etc. have made me want to move.

I have always wanted to move to Tasmania. Have been there once before around 10 years ago and fell in love. Now I know people say it is never the same as when on holiday, but you know within yourself when something just feels "right" and Tasmania does that to me.

I have great family and friends here where I live, and that would be the only negative of moving as I will have no one in Tasmania as I'm single, but I feel the time to move on is imminent in the near future.

I work in Warehousing/Transport & Logistics/Storeman/Forklift etc. and know that jobs are hard to come by in Tasmania. I have started doing some homework and notice that the major Distribution Centres are in Launceston is that correct?

Anyway, been looking around Launceston and adjoining suburbs/towns and can't believe the price of houses, they are a LOT cheaper than here. I know wages are lower , but so is the cost of living I assume so it's all relative.

I am an outdoor person and love mountain biking and hiking and just living a laid back quieter life.

Would love to hear from the locals and people that have lived there about the Pros and Cons????

Cheers

Gossy
Mate mate mate mate you're going freeze your giblets off your first winter. However if you can handle the cold it's not a bad move if you want peace and quiet and one small shopping mall in the entire state (in Hobart).

One of the guys in here lives in that neck of the woods, I've asked him to pop in.

FWIW spent a week in Hobart a few years back and the drivers are insane, whereas I have driven on the Gold Coast and found them not too bad. I didn't find the locals that friendly either...in the middle of tourist season.

...however I am thinking that Launceston would be a lot better, smaller and quieter.

It's a beautiful spot, you're going to the right place for your interests

...just remember what I said about giblets
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2018, 12:26 AM   #3
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

I like the cold, just got to buy pants and jackets as I wear shorts and t shirts all year round here.

I know it will be a culture shock, but me and my giblets are ready for the challenge.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2018, 01:39 AM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
t and one small shopping mall in the entire state (in Hobart).
There is the Brisbane Street Mall in Launceston but it's as infamous as Wallmart (Wallymart) https://www.facebook.com/Launceston-...8004725891254/ Probably a little unfairly.
Old 20-08-2018, 01:43 AM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

This is also worth a read https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...erm=Launceston
Old 20-08-2018, 02:20 AM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I spent a week in Launceston in July of this year. It was cold, the city was very quiet and it had only a few good restaurants (many not open) but it was better than I expected. I been there and all over Tassie a few times and will go back again for holiday visits.

BTW , remember, if you don't want to seen as an outsider Launceston is more correctly pronounced "Lonston" although you'll get away with 'Lonceston" or just "Lonny".

I also love Tassie especially the scenery. I also don't mind the snow and cold. But one thing stops me living there; it is the only state where I have regularly experienced outright rude in my face racists comments about being in the company of my adopted Filipino children. It never happens in any other state. This has happened numerous times and although the people in charge of the related cafe and hotels have always apologised and kicked the offenders out I could not live there and put up with this bigotry. While the problem seems to be with a minority of rednecks in the population, and most Tasmanians are polite and friendly, I could not tolerate it long term. It does appear to have a very insular population and if you look at the demographics of Tasmanian you'll will also see where some of these insular views may have come from. (See http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@....4?OpenDocument ) They have fewer people by percentage of population of Asian and Irish country of birth (I thing think all the Irish prisoner of the colonial era fled to Victoria as soon as they could) than other states for example but more by percentage from US, South Africa and the Netherlands. There is also of course no real indigenous population. It may also be climate related of course in terms of what deters people from mainly warmer parts of the world moving to Tasmania. Surprisingly though, Tasmania seems to have more Indian curry restaurants than any other Australian State (they seem to be everywhere both in Hobart and Lonny - the cold weather I guess). It is noticeably slowly improving as more people from other State move there and the population becomes more cosmopolitan but it still has a way to go.

Oh I also have to say Lonny has the most well behaved cyclists of any state; driving up the Tamar Hwy each morning I found the many groups of cyclists were always in single file and keeping left; that wouldn't happen in Perth. It also less than a days drive to lots of spectacular tourist sites like Cradle Mountain.

Last edited by aussiblue; 20-08-2018 at 02:33 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #7
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess it all depends on the climate you want to live in.Some like day after day of 30+ temperatures,so they would reckon Tassie is too cold,whereas if you don,t mind temps down to single figures in the winter months,you may quite like it. Tassie has a very varied topograhy in that you can go from the beaches etc on the east coast,(Roddy country)to the central highlands,where it sometimes snows in summer,in a couple of hours.As far as shopping goes both Lonny and Hobart have most of the big name shops.Some of the best food in the world and at a price that can be afforded.Medical services are pretty good,power prices are on par or better than the big island.And if you have to go to Melb or Sydney(perish the thought)it is only a bit over an hours flying time.
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2018, 10:34 AM   #8
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

I'm not a Tasmanian, so it would be wrong of me to comment on living there full-time.

However, I have been to the Apple isle numerous times as part of my former jobs on regular business trips, travelling the isle by car each time and also several driving holidays.

I will say this...

Tassie has some of the best driving roads and scenery in the world without question.

If you are a car enthusiast and enjoy regular road trips and driving in general, you will love Tassie.

No traffic, no red light and speed cameras (except a couple in the main cities), the cops leave you alone for doing a few km's over the limit (unlike Vic and other police nanny states), vast stretches of empty highways and nice cool ambient temperatures if you drive an intercooled turbo car.

I could live there tomorrow... House prices are a bargain compared to the mainland, but employment is not easy to find, and as mentioned, you have to like the cold weather.

As a place to retire, it would be great, if you want to retreat from the rat race.
It reminds me very much of old English villages and the countryside.

Every time I go to Tassie, it's like going through a time wrap, stepping back in time 20 or more years when life was simpler.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

After one of this racist outburst one of the restaurant owners made a comment along these lines: " A lot of people come to Tasmanian to get away from world and unfortunately some of them are doing so because they are plain rude, antisocial, unfriendly and just don't like people." Yes the roads and scenery are wonderful; if it wasn't for the significant minority of Alabama redneck types I would move there myself.

Last edited by aussiblue; 20-08-2018 at 12:28 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2018, 12:48 PM   #10
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

May be Tasmania is something I should look at.

Missus and I were joking the other day that we should take our dogs and move to Alaska and build a log cabin, hunt our own meat and subsistance farm and get away from the stupidity of the current world climate.

May be Tasmania would be a closer and milder option.

I could not care less about shopping centres and all the other BS.

A few hundred acres in Tasmania might do the job for me....time to sell up

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #11
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Life's to short mate, If you feel that strong about it and need the challenge so to speak, just do it and worry about the little stuff afterwards.

Enjoy what time we all have, make the step.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #12
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ive done both and VIC in between.

I think your issue is the GC, dont mean to be rude but its just not the place I would want to be, not even for a holiday. We were in Brissy for two years and even driving down now and then was enough.

Move North mate, its a much better vibe.

In saying that for the right job I would move back to Hobart. Spent two years in Launceston and it was good for us. Opportunities are limited but Lonnie is OK for logistics.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #13
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tassie is a beautiful place to live , I lived in Riana - between ulverstone and bernie in the north of Tassie , It does get cold as mentioned but you get used to it , its got awesome road , 4X4 . camping , fishing etc , If you are looking for a change in lifestyle i certainly recommend it .
Your best bet for a large town for your work is defiantly Launceston or slightly smaller Devonport in my opinion .
I didnt overly much like Hobart personally when I visited , its quite rocky and barren compared with the north.
There is also heaps of "Barn" finds there if you have the time for a drive and some spare cash

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #14
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossy View Post
……

Cheers

Gossy
Gossy

I lived for 3 years in Hobart Tasmania when I studied at the Uni.

It is very very cold- which as a poor uni student was miserable- ie I rented very average houses and had no money for significant heating/firewood, and as a young active male was always hungry in winter.

But, the winters are generally crisp ,sunny but cold. Much nicer than miserable Melbourne with the constant damp drizzle.

The winter daylight is super short, but summer is bliss-recall rock climbing on the Organ pipes on top of Mount Wellington in summer and 9.00 pm still light. Some bullet memories:

1. The air is crisp and clean, water clean, low density people on road etc.

2. Very diverse country in short distances- ie rock climbing alpine mountain style up Organ Pipes in Hobart. Then short few hour drive to East Coast Coles Bay to climb on white granite ocean cliffs and you feel you are climbing on cliffs in Greece. Then go inland and bushwalk to Frenchman's Cap and you may end up being solitary person in magnificent rugged peak landscape with no sign of human 360 degrees around you for as many kilometres your eye can see. Then go to north coast to Burnley etc -magnificent rich rolling green country.

3. Weather very changeable in short time, so if climbing long route or bushwalking solo take clothing/supplies for extreme weather changes occurring fast.

4. For driving and cycling- amazing roads and very pretty.

5. Locals were a bit clicky and conservative.

6 Hobart- large student and alternative population ie nicer richer society, nice grungy pubs and live music-good hospital (treated a torn right shoulder problem I had from rock climbing).

7. Launceston - very very cold, but has good rock climbing scene with cliffs in the gorge and river in the town.

8. Generally, lifestyle is less materialistic and busy and cutthroat compared to big cities of east coast-slower and more sleepy- may and may not be to your taste.

I could happily retire in a nice area of Hobart provided I had a house that was well designed and built with insulation and heating.

I would suggest if you can wing work in Hobart region go that route, but I am sure Launceston would have it's own soul and delights that you would discover living there.

Cheers and any specific query more than happy for you to pm me

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #15
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Thanks for all the feedback guys, keep 'em coming.
Old 20-08-2018, 01:56 PM   #16
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I lived in launny for a couple of years, then Hobart for a couple more. Launny is a way nicer town IMO. I'd move back tomorrow if I could make the same $ as in Vic, but it won't happen. Yes housing is cheap but utilities are high and wages are low as you've seen. The cold is no worse than vic. Women are also very nice if you're single, but there is some animosity at first towards mainlanders but it wears off. It used to be a pain having to order in car parts all the time, any time we came over to vic we went to bursons to restock from rare spares but they started a shop in launny, and we're all used to ordering online nowadays anyway.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #17
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

If you are a WASP (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant) you probably won't notice anything. When I was first travelling to Tassie solo on business it was all fine. It only when I started visiting there with my children (even when they were adults) that I came across the insulting redneck bigotry. As I then became more sensitive to the issue I also then noted that other minority groups (e.g. gays) were also sometimes being subject to similar treatment.
Old 20-08-2018, 02:45 PM   #18
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
If you are a WASP (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant) you probably won't notice anything. When I was first travelling to Tassie solo on business it was all fine. It only when I started visiting there with my children (even when they were adults) that I came across the insulting redneck bigotry. As I then became more sensitive to the issue I also then noted that other minority groups (e.g. gays) were also sometimes being subject to similar treatment.
I am thinking it's anyone that 'not from around here'.

Walked into a shopping centre, parked in the underground carpark and walked towards what we thought was the entrance to the shopping centre.

We were trying to find the doorway and were about to enter when this grumpy old duffer rammed me with his trolley. Hard. When I looked at him he pointed down at the ground and said 'you're walking in the out aisle'...and when I looked down, sure enough there were lines painted on the concrete.

My question is though how many people look at their feet when walking through an unfamiliar space?

...plus the obvious 'hey these people look lost why don't I either offer help/give them some leeway...nah screw it I'll ram them with my trolley'.

Butthole...

Drivers in Hobart are the rudest I have come across and I have driven in Sydney/Melbourne/Canberra/Perth/Adelaide and Brisbane.

Once we were away from Hobart we were better off.

I've heard Launceston is much better.
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #19
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
I am thinking it's anyone that 'not from around here'.
No different to parts of QLD, if you are a Mexican from Vic.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2018, 06:11 PM   #20
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

I spent a weekend in Devonport about May 2004 - it was FREEZING cold.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2018, 11:32 PM   #21
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Seems like Tasmania is somewhere I need to be. Too much PC SJW nonsense in SA.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2018, 11:45 PM   #22
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have spent a bit of time in Tassie, and I would move to Launceston in a heartbeat. Yes the winters are beyond freezing, but the late springs and summers are warm, it’s so laid back and the air is fresher. Housing is cheap, like you I love the outdoors so that’s more than covered and the roads make Victoria’s look like dirt tracks.

If you can afford to, and can find work, just do it.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2018, 11:58 PM   #23
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The winters really aren,t as freezing as you may think. Average winter low temperature is down around 4-5 deg and usually around 10- 12 during the day.This winter we have had 4 days at or below zero.I,m now retired but when I was working there were jobs for those that wanted to work,just like the rest of Aust.I agree Lonny is by far a better place to live than Slowbart which is overflowing with public servants who think they are owed something.
5 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2018, 06:52 AM   #24
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find it hard to believe that there are ruder drivers than good old Sadelaide
Old 21-08-2018, 07:43 AM   #25
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well driving to work this morning in sunny Blackwater QLD the temp gauge hit 0 so it can be cold anywhere.

You acclimatize quick enough.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2018, 02:16 PM   #26
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Some fun views here: https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...?term=Tasmania
Old 21-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #27
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We visited Tassie a couple of years ago and both me and the wife fell in love with the place. Yeah it can be cold but I was too busy enjoying the scenery and driving to care about it. Beautiful place. If job security was not a concern I reckon we'd be living there by now.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2018, 05:53 PM   #28
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Well driving to work this morning in sunny Blackwater QLD the temp gauge hit 0 so it can be cold anywhere.

You acclimatize quick enough.
Been working in Beechworth the last couple of months, you want to see cold ? Even the granite has been sticking to the ground due to the frost.
BLEAK is how I would describe it.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2018, 07:54 PM   #29
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New Zealand might be a better option. Similar weather and pace , better scenery and economically not as depressed.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2018, 08:05 PM   #30
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132 View Post
New Zealand might be a better option. Similar weather and pace , better scenery and economically not as depressed.
??????????????????