Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 11-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Reverse crunching

Ever since the missus has brought the new zetec home there has been a constant crunching when selecting reverse(manual gearbox). Doesnt matter how softly i select reverse or gently, 90% of the time it will let of crunch.

Has anyone else had this issue before i take it for the complimentary 3k look over, and mention this to them.

cheers

pitpal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Check the clutch adjustment is fine, as this can be a cause of the crunching you're referring to
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
Jess85

i had the same thing with my WP zetec. was told to let the car warm up a bit before putting it in reverse (dont like waiting around) so i'd pump the clutch once or twice then hold in clutch and select reverse and it wouldnt crunch
Jess85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Clutch seems fine, and works with every other gear. Not sure about pumping the clutch a couple of times first as it should slot in the first time, but il give it a try.
Thanks for the info, and await anybody else with this issue.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 

I had the same problem with a Telstar years ago...selecting first gear before reverse fixed the crunching every time, but you shouldn't have to put up with this on a new car.

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showth...40#post6887840

2006 Lightning Strike BF Fairlane Ghia...HIS

2024 Titan Grey Hyundai Tucson Highlander...HERS
Linz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 01:21 AM   #6
FTRXR8

Stop the car completely and wait around 3 seconds and it should engage without a crunch, I find either clutch on, clutch off and clutch on if reverse is the first gear required or the three second wait if going from first to reverse seems to eliminate any crunches.
Tint
USA Focus ST Carbon Fibre shifter
Mountune Symposer Delete
Blue ST Badging
FTRXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seen the wife crunch reverse a few times but shes never had a manual car before and doesn't know the tricks, it hasn't happened to me. I think she assumes it's all the way in reverse when it isn't
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
Kariharnett
Lil Henry

it states in the manual that you must hold the clutch in for 5 seconds before selecting the reverse gear. mine crunch;s if i dont waitr but is fine if i push the clutch in for few seconds.
Kariharnett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

This is the same on all Fiesta Models WP, WQ, XR4, WS. Just select any forward gear then reverse. Dont need to take the clutch out. Its the design of the mechanics on the gearbox. There is nothing wrong with it and nothing for can fix.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kariharnett
it states in the manual that you must hold the clutch in for 5 seconds before selecting the reverse gear. mine crunch;s if i dont waitr but is fine if i push the clutch in for few seconds.
Spot on mate - works.

The "select another gear first" does not work well at all in the WS
Candyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #11
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Read over the manual, but seems i missed that. Thanks for the input guys. Will let the missus know
Old 13-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #12
Danny
GT4.

There are no synchro's in Reverse gear and they ALL do it.

Pump the clutch twice and try again is all I used to do. No biggie..
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #13
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

X2 on all cars doing it.... every manual i've driven has done it. in varying degrees. don't worry about it.
Interior: Colour-coded trims. ST leather gear knob w leather gaiter. Brushed Aluminium pedals. Scuff Plates.
Performance: Denso Iridium sparks. CAI. 2" cat-back with Hi-tech stainless muffler & dual chrome tips. Lowered. RSB soon!
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #14
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just drove the zetec and reversed. All good! Just held down the clutch for a good 2-3 secs and slotted in nice. Havent tried pumping the clutch yet. Easier just to keep it down
Old 13-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #15
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec jim
X2 on all cars doing it.... every manual i've driven has done it.
All Fords ?

I ask because I've never had this problem before on manuals (as mentioned before)

Still, the foot on the clutch works well.
Old 13-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #16
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

so far as my experience, although haven't driven another manual ford but the Fez...(97' pug 306, 01' Golf, '08 Polo GTI) but come to think of it, the 67' Bug didn't do it. hehe.
Interior: Colour-coded trims. ST leather gear knob w leather gaiter. Brushed Aluminium pedals. Scuff Plates.
Performance: Denso Iridium sparks. CAI. 2" cat-back with Hi-tech stainless muffler & dual chrome tips. Lowered. RSB soon!
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 06:58 AM   #17
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford ran the T5 almost forever and they struggle to get into reverse on Holdens, it's the same box so surely they do the same on the Falcons. What about toploaders, you can struggle to get ANY gear in those old monsters
Old 13-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #18
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The missus has done just over 6000 now and took the zetec in for its complimentary service. Got them to dump the oil(and as usual they overfilled it) and questioned them on the reverse crunching. Gave them a demo on it including leaving the clutch down for 2-3 secs in which they told me that i shouldnt have to do this. Its to be looked at when the 15k service is due. Keep you all posted on the outcome if any
Old 13-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #19
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpal
Its to be looked at when the 15k service is due. Keep you all posted on the outcome if any
Ours goes in this Saturday, have this on the list.

Others include rattles on the seat belts on the B pillar, the USB update, heavy fuel smell after switching off, loose carpet in the footwells, freebie (dealer promised full tank at delivery and it was empty).

Nothing else I can think of.
Old 13-05-2009, 10:29 PM   #20
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Just about every Fiesta I've driven does it. It's normal as far as I can tell. And I'm talking back to WP Fiesta too.
Old 13-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #21
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

In mine I find going 3rd-4th and then Reverse does the trick
Old 14-05-2009, 01:02 AM   #22
Zetec Dave

Have yet to find out if there is any crunching on the new Fiesta , but my Polo Gti definately does it occasionally and I don't like the sound of it either. Might get it checked out on my next service.
Zetec Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #23
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
In mine I find going 3rd-4th and then Reverse does the trick
In mine I find going 4th and then Reverse does the trick also. One less step. HAHHA
Old 14-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #24
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman2
Ours goes in this Saturday, have this on the list.

Others include rattles on the seat belts on the B pillar, the USB update, heavy fuel smell after switching off, loose carpet in the footwells, freebie (dealer promised full tank at delivery and it was empty).

Nothing else I can think of.
Has yours consumed any oil ? Ours dropped about 6-7 ml on the dipstick. Hopefully now that it is run in this will settle.
Old 14-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #25
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ours needed half a litre or so at 8000ks, went below the add line infact, no chance they would last the 15,000ks. That's crazy anyway I have no idea why they leave it so long . Ours uses more fuel now than when we got it, I'm sure it wants some nice clean proper oil in it. But it's done over 10,000 ks no rattles or any problems so far. It used to smell when new, just the exhaust burning some paint off I'd guess, it wasn't fuel.

Well one thing I have noticed is the gearbox is getting stiff to change gears, seems to be when the car is cold. It's very notchy I never noticed this early on, other times I don't notice so I don't know whats going with that, maybe I just have no skills

I've never been able to get it under 5.7l/100 on a 100km trip, the wife can't get it under 6.1 on the same road. I did find a smooth road once and saw 5.5 for a while but on fresh road that's still rough and hasn't worn down yet It wont do better than 6.5/100. It's very dependant on road surface, I wonder if they got the fuel figures back to front because I can get under 5.0 in town but no chance on the highway

Last edited by greenfoam; 14-05-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 14-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #26
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
Ours needed half a litre or so at 8000ks, went below the add line infact, no chance they would last the 15,000ks. That's crazy anyway I have no idea why they leave it so long . Ours uses more fuel now than when we got it, I'm sure it wants some nice clean proper oil in it. But it's done over 10,000 ks no rattles or any problems so far. It used to smell when new, just the exhaust burning some paint off I'd guess, it wasn't fuel.

Well one thing I have noticed is the gearbox is getting stiff to change gears, seems to be when the car is cold. It's very notchy I never noticed this early on, other times I don't notice so I don't know whats going with that, maybe I just have no skills
That probably explains why they o'fill it. Also the manual states that ford recommend 5w30. If i didnt pipe up they would have put in the magnatec!!!!!!!!!!
Old 14-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #27
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Has yours consumed any oil ? Ours dropped about 6-7 ml on the dipstick. Hopefully now that it is run in this will settle.
Nope, has not used any oil.
Old 14-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #28
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Quote:
That probably explains why they o'fill it. Also the manual states that ford recommend 5w30. If i didnt pipe up they would have put in the magnatec!!!!!!!!!!
They're all like that. I bring my own now.
Old 14-05-2009, 11:51 PM   #29
Kariharnett
Lil Henry

Mine is going on to 1 1/2 years old just hit 27500 km's and i find im getting the best fuel consuption then i ever had, im averaging 530 off a tank in town and 600 on the high way, just having alot of issues with the fresh air button not working any more :( next service on monday hope they can fix it.
Kariharnett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 12:48 AM   #30
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

Sheesh i could only DREAM of getting 5's in mine. i'm happy with the low 6's I get....

Reverse and gear are worse in the cold- but hugely but definitely different to summer. But then again i know i get cranky first thing on a cold morning so i guess i'm no different. :

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Go baby Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post