Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-04-2018, 03:33 PM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Spending the Super, buy new or used luxury

OK, I can now access my super
So I will be in the market to upgrade the wifes 10 year old Mazda3.
I want a nice car to drive around in, never had a new car, will spend about $40k.

I will keep my Mazda6 (8 years old) for the dog beach etc.
Keeping the XC of course (yes, will be in for some pampering).

The quandry is, buy a brand spanker (thinking CX5 or new Mazda6 waiting for the turbo model) or do what my heart wants, which is a used european, particularly an XF Jag, just love them.

Problem is, in my budget, a Jag, BMW or Merc will be 3-8 years of age and will I have trouble getting rid of it? Especially the Jag after 12 months. I just want to treat myself, but don't want to worry about fixing a tranny for $8 grand in a few years.
Whats peoples thoughts on how hard will it be to sell a used european. BMW should be OK, but the Jag, which is what I really want?

So new or used???
Old 08-04-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Default Re: Spending the Super, buy new or used luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
I want a nice car to drive around in, never had a new car, will spend about $40k.

The quandry is, buy a brand spanker (thinking CX5 or new Mazda6 waiting for the turbo model) or do what my heart wants, which is a used european, particularly an XF Jag, just love them.

Problem is, in my budget, a Jag, BMW or Merc will be 3-8 years of age and will I have trouble getting rid of it? Especially the Jag after 12 months. I just want to treat myself, but don't want to worry about fixing a tranny for $8 grand in a few years.
Whats peoples thoughts on how hard will it be to sell a used european. BMW should be OK, but the Jag, which is what I really want?

So new or used???
1. Used, always. 18 months old and greater so the big depreciation hit has already occurred.
2. No Jags, ever. Unlike other cars they just keep depreciating and Jags have always become more unreliable the older they get.

I love Jags but I'd never own one. A good 3-series Beemer is the key to cheap, reliable, low-cost motoring. Get a two-door for even more fun.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2018, 04:41 PM   #3
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Why would you have to/need to fix the tranny for $8G in a few years?
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-04-2018, 05:22 PM   #4
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
1. Used, always. 18 months old and greater so the big depreciation hit has already occurred.
2. No Jags, ever. Unlike other cars they just keep depreciating and Jags have always become more unreliable the older they get.

I love Jags but I'd never own one. A good 3-series Beemer is the key to cheap, reliable, low-cost motoring. Get a two-door for even more fun.
Jags are a labour of love. My dad one of the first x types and it's really plush on the inside but has had it's fair share of mechanical issues. If you leave depreciation out of the argument it's quality interior out weighs the mechanical business. I've had 2 mazdas in the past and cannot fault either. The 03 6 was pretty basic but it did the job and the cx9 was a tad excessive. As for stretching the dollar near new is probably the best way to go. Yes it's a little bit of a gamble but typically you can eyeball how a car has been treated. I've got lucky twice with a bf and an fg. Both were 2 years old at the time they were purchased, both in good nick and both heavily depreciated.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2018, 06:08 PM   #5
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

So new or used???
If your not convinced have a look on ebay as there's plenty of not very old Jags and Mercs with issues.
Beautiful cars Jags but would say they would have to have the worst resale value.
if you like spending more time under the car than driving it, Jag is the vehicle. Don't know about the straight sixes but I once spent 5 hours under a XJ12 trying to remove the bolts holding the starter motor, never again.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2018, 06:20 PM   #6
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Sounds like you like keeping cars for a long time... Nothing wrong with that.

If the car is for your retirement, and you want to converse funds for that, I'd buy something new or an ex-demo with full warranty and have some peace of mind for at least a few years not having to spend funds on repairs.

If however, you are flush with money for your retirement years... Then I suppose you could take more of a risk on something older.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2018, 11:04 PM   #7
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buy another near new mazda3 for $20k, in 10 years time, do it again. Your 40k will last you for 20 troublefree years. That won’t happen with a euro.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 09-04-2018, 12:16 AM   #8
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All good points, I'm only guessing about the possibilty of something going wrong, gearbox as an example and costing half the worth of the car to fix.
As the HSV ad say " I just want one" but I think the head will rule and the heart will miss out.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:17 AM   #9
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Buy another near new mazda3 for $20k, in 10 years time, do it again. Your 40k will last you for 20 troublefree years. That won’t happen with a euro.
A Mazda3 might keep the wife happy, but not me, too small.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:14 AM   #10
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Quote:
All good points, I'm only guessing about the possibilty of something going wrong, gearbox as an example and costing half the worth of the car to fix.
As the HSV ad say " I just want one" but I think the head will rule and the heart will miss out.
A valid concern that would deter me as well. The head versus heart thing again.

That said, if the siren call is strong then near new and rigorously serviced would be the way to go. The depreciation saved on purchase can always be set aside as a 'repair fund' for later.

Last edited by anobserver; 09-04-2018 at 07:28 AM.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2018, 02:45 PM   #11
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Amg c63
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2018, 05:25 PM   #12
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
If you have the cash, go with your heart, you only get one shot of life. To many people these days worry about buying based on the resale value.
Do some research, buy what you want and have fun mate.

5 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2018, 05:59 PM   #13
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
If you have the cash, go with your heart, you only get one shot of life. To many people these days worry about buying based on the resale value.
Do some research, buy what you want and have fun mate.

Agree with this and you might just get a good one!

You can purchase mechanical breakdown insurance as well - I do this just for piece of mind and does not cost much p/w.

Thoroughly test it and check the code logs should give you a pretty good idea of what has gone on with the vehicle.

I like the XF's as well...

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2018, 06:51 PM   #14
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

The xf is pretty, but the f type is eye candy.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2018, 07:29 PM   #15
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know it's personal preference, but a Jag....I could not think of a worse car to buy, biggest pos on the planet, every person I have ever known to own one ends up with it in a million pieces after a few months of ownership with it never hitting the road again.

Eventually the scrap metal man will collect it or someone will buy it for $300 -$400 and it will sit in their shed in pieces till the scrap metal guy collects it from them or till they die, then their kids will give it to the scrap metal guy, either way you are buying about $200 worth of scrap metal and a LOT of heart ache.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2018, 07:57 PM   #16
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Um ok

We have had a Jaguar XE for a couple of years now and it has been a pleasure.

There have been a couple of minor things attended to during scheduled services, but nothing to stop me buying another or recommending it to others. Buy a well looked after example and perhaps factor in a extended warranty in the deal if you are worried.

As touched on by others, life is short! Sometimes a choice of the heart is just what we need.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2018, 09:02 PM   #17
sr71

Congratulations on your retirement ??
I can see this being a common dilemma in the coming years. Compounded with "Spending the Inheritance". I encourage you to 'bet each way'- Mazda for the wife and Euro for yourself.
Maybe consider the euro as a long term purchase ( til death do us part). Then you don't have to worry about resale.
Car purchasing is going to change in the next 10 years, with the next generation EV's. Current EV's are going to be like your old 7.2V Makita cordless, and who knows how they will affect used car sales.
Plenty of nice cars to pick from. BMW V10 M6 looks good to me. Jags seem nice, and their new management and SUVs might change perception/resale. Some nice Mercedes as well.
I'd love an XA-C coupe. But huge money now, and you could buy a couple of cars for that money ( reliable low cost daily and something rewarding ).
Good luck
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2018, 09:15 PM   #18
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stick with a petrol only car. Look at all the BS around diesel powered cars, turbos, electric etc. I would buy a car that has proven itself already. Japanese cars are very well built & reliable but their designs are often outdated or copies of euro's. My wife and I are also looking for her atm and regardless of price, we will buy a 2nd hand low km version of the car we decide on. I would rather a as new car with 5000kms on it with a full warranty & the $10 grand depreciation in my pocket. Like everyone else, just my 2 cents. Good luck and enjoy the experience. Make sure you screw the sales person to the floor with price or extras. There is ALWAYS room for movement with price when buying new.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2018, 08:41 AM   #19
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71 View Post
Car purchasing is going to change in the next 10 years, with the next generation EV's. Current EV's are going to be like your old 7.2V Makita cordless, and who knows how they will affect used car sales.
Now your depressing me.

Option 2
if you want to spend lots of money and waste yourself lots of time, consider buying an old truck.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:00 AM   #20
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Congrats jaydee.
Many good posts that I agree with.
Yes Jags have been a POS but I still love their design and history.
XJ12's MK11's etc love em and yes they would have caused heart ache for countless owners but "its a Jag" as they say.
The later models today are farfar better than the past, sure there will be "moments" but its the ownership experience - as said you only live once !
I get sick of my self being a conservative and most times opting for the "smarter" buy.
I love 3series bimmers, in my early 20's had a gorgeous 323i manual E21 sunroof etc went like a cut snake and handled superb but the maintenance was killing me back then.
Using non genuine parts saves some but they are not good enough most times.
If you like the bimmer get one !

I just bought my Mrs's a CX5, this will suit her for years trouble free - thats the smart buy, you go for what the heart gets pulsing mate !
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #21
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wasn,t the Jag.X a rebadged Mondeo, bit like the Telstar/ 626 or Hold Comm./Toyota Lexcen.type of body sharing?
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #22
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Modern Jags are nothing like the abominations of the past. Ford ownership sorted them out, and Tata haven't undone that good work.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2018, 03:03 PM   #23
XW 393
"WHEEZER" POWERED

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...-5309967/?Cr=6 This would be fun enough.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:11 PM   #24
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by XW 393 View Post
Maybe not this one but I searched a lot of sites and read a lot about mid naughties Merc's with wiring issues due to them using inferior wiring looms, I don't know how true that was but a google search will tell you.
There is always cheap Merc's on ebay which steered my interest off them.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #25
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is a beautifully engineered Jaguar that goes as good as it looks.
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...-4852472/?Cr=0
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2018, 09:46 PM   #26
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
That is one ugly car IMO, I would take a clean EL Falcon over that any day.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2018, 01:29 AM   #27
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
That is one ugly car IMO, I would take a clean EL Falcon over that any day.
Hey, what do I know? I own AU's and reckon they're good looking cars
3 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2018, 08:36 AM   #28
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
Looks like this Jag was paid for with the wages of Sin.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2018, 08:38 AM   #29
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Wasn,t the Jag.X a rebadged Mondeo, bit like the Telstar/ 626 or Hold Comm./Toyota Lexcen.type of body sharing?
Same floorpan.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
Old 11-04-2018, 08:43 AM   #30
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:

So new or used???
As long as you realise the money you spend will reduce to zero over time at the time you are not putting any more into super. If your future requirements can accommodate it, all good.

If you're going to eat beans on toast to accommodate it, all bad.

A mate of mine retired at 55 and said that the challenge was to see how long he could go without touching the lump sum. He didn't do that until he was 70 and it had tripled in value.

Nice problem you have.