Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-11-2017, 08:00 AM   #1
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Bob Lutz - ":Everyone will have 5 years to get their car off the road or sell it for scrap.”

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...-times-goodbye

Views?
Old 17-11-2017, 08:08 AM   #2
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 
Default Re: Bob Lutz - ":Everyone will have 5 years to get their car off the road or sell it for scrap.”

Hi. 5 years FROM when driverless cars are becoming common............. Make it 55 years. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Bob Lutz - ":Everyone will have 5 years to get their car off the road or sell it for scrap.”

Bob says "The era of the human-driven automobile, its repair facilities, its dealerships, the media surrounding it — all will be gone in 20 years."
Old 17-11-2017, 08:23 AM   #4
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't he the same guy that thought the Americans would love a Holden Monaro rebadged as a Pontiac GTO?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Isn't he the same guy that thought the Americans would love a Holden Monaro rebadged as a Pontiac GTO?
Yup; and was he so wrong?
Old 17-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #6
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's an impersonal, bleak interpretation of a future where individual freedoms have been crushed ... I look forward to seeing it on NetFlix ...
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2017, 08:42 AM   #7
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

It appears to me, the panacea of the do gooder day dreamers is putting everyone out of work.

What's that saying? Rage against the machine.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Remember Bob is also a "petrol head"; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Lutz_(businessman)
Quote:
Lutz is known as a collector of classic automobiles and military jets. Among other aircraft, he owns and pilots an Aero L-39 Albatros (an advanced Czechoslovakian jet fighter trainer) and an MD-500 helicopter. Further, he maintains a collection of motorcycles that include a Suzuki Hayabusa, a BMW K1200RS, a BMW K1200S, a BMW R1100S, a BMW K-1 and a BMW HP2 Sport.
Old 17-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #9
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Remember Bob is also a "petrol head"; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Lutz_(businessman)
Right and I think Lutz is attempting to wake folks up to a path being taken.
Old 17-11-2017, 09:09 AM   #10
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Bloke's menopausal....

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #11
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Son to dad: "Dad... What should I do for a living when I grow up?"

Dad:... "Scrap Merchant son... Going to be big business!"
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2017, 09:56 AM   #12
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Then, as you approach your exit, your module will enter deceleration lanes, exit and go to your final destination. You will be billed for the transportation. You will enter your credit card number or your thumbprint or whatever it will be then. The module will take off and go to its collection point, ready for the next person to call.
Most of these standardized modules will be purchased and owned by the Ubers and Lyfts and God knows what other companies that will enter the transportation business in the future."

It's going to be a golden age for throwing up in vehicles, then exiting and daintily walking away with nary a care in the world.
Old 17-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #13
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Bob who?
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #14
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

While the world is in chaos atm, a chirpy vision of the future is offered...Welcome to the brave new world, dont think, just accept it ok lol!

Umm, imo wont happen unless something else is the precursor..

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #15
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Umm, imo wont happen unless something else is the precursor..
I hate to imagine what that precursor might be.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #16
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
I hate to imagine what that precursor might be.
What was the precursor that took us from the horse and cart to the automobile?

It's called progress... For better or worse.
Old 17-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #17
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
What was the precursor that took us from the horse and cart to the automobile?

It's called progress... For better or worse.
I don't know if that is a good analogy.

I think of both of those modes of transportation being increasing forms of independence and freedom.

What I see portrayed here is a path towards the borg collective. This is a paradigm change. We have seen encroachments to independence over the years, but in all honesty, I had very similar thoughts as mentioned by Maka about Brave New World and other Sci-Fi novels I read in younger years. I don't have a good feeling about relinquishing myself to big brother.
5 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #18
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
What I see portrayed here is a path towards the borg collective. This is a paradigm change. We have seen encroachments to independence over the years, but in all honesty, I had very similar thoughts as mentioned by Maka about Brave New World and other Sci-Fi novels I read in younger years. I don't have a good feeling about relinquishing myself to big brother.
I hear what you are saying.

Unfortunately though, most of us have already relinquished ourselves to big brother in one way or another.

... Social Media, The Internet and IP tracking, Mobile phone tracking, spending patterns on our credit cards, city surveillance cameras, and the list goes on.

The government and big corporations know more about you than your parents these days.
Old 17-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #19
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Unfortunately though, most of us have already relinquished ourselves to big brother in one way or another.

... Social Media, The Internet and IP tracking, Mobile phone tracking, spending patterns on our credit cards, city surveillance cameras, and the list goes on.

The government and big corporations know more about you than your parents these days.
Not me man, i have a tin foil hat and run electified copper in my roof
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #20
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:

There is a lot of truth to what you are saying. Compounding the situation, I think many of the younger generations do not really understand what privacy or privacy data is and as they have and will become leaders will continue to give away more privacy.

Yet what Lutz portrayed is not only greater social constraints but physical restraints. Time will tell.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #21
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I'll say it again, Meet George Jetson...

It's only a matter of time, albeit without the outer space backdrop, these intentions have been in the planning for decades and drip fed to us through many different mediums if you care to take notice.

When Maxwell smart whipped off his shoe and made a phone call in the sixties, who'd have thought mobile communication technology like that would have been in the palm of every man, woman and child's hand within 30yrs, I didn't, but it was there for all to see if you truly considered it possible and now you're considered out of touch if you cant google whatever you want to know from it, it's gone well beyond the simple phone call.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #22
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

Just drop all those worthless gtho phase 3s off at my house ill dispose of them
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #23
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

I’ll add his prediction to the thousands of other flat out wrong predictions made in modern times. 640K of memory ought to be enough for anybody, weapons of mass destruction...
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #24
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Just drop all those worthless gtho phase 3s off at my house ill dispose of them
Sssh; you'll give the game away; Bob and I are conspiring to create a super-car price crash.
Old 17-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #25
leesa

I wonder what the solution will be for those who tow trailers. Will they have 'modules' for horses that can be called upon with the same short notice as a module for people? How will it handle the deceleration given that the cargo can't be strapped in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
It's going to be a golden age for throwing up in vehicles, then exiting and daintily walking away with nary a care in the world.
If they can make a road network that is 100% automated, I am confident they can include sensors in the modules that detect the presence of biofluids within the module. I'd gather those sensors will then tell local cleanup crews and/or local police/yadda yadda
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #26
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't know if that is a good analogy.

I think of both of those modes of transportation being increasing forms of independence and freedom.

If seven of nine is there sign me up for the collective!

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #27
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Fruitcake,

Good luck with that in rural Australia, or even the mid west USA
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #28
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
If seven of nine is there sign me up for the collective!
Okay, you can go with 7 of 9. I'm with Number 6.
Old 17-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #29
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Maybe in 50 years time. No way it will be 5, 10 or even 20. Look how shabby our public transport infastructure is. Does anyone seriously think our roads will ever be good enough for this. To work properly the roads will more than likely be need to be designed from scratch to suit.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2017, 04:32 PM   #30
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Maybe in 50 years time. No way it will be 5, 10 or even 20. Look how shabby our public transport infastructure is. Does anyone seriously think our roads will ever be good enough for this. To work properly the roads will more than likely be need to be designed from scratch to suit.
Driverless cars are set to make their way on to Victorian roads next year, with the Andrews Government to introduce new laws allowing for trials of autonomous vehicles.

Cabinet yesterday ticked off on the changes to the Road Safety Act and the legislation will be tabled in Parliament this week.

News article:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/hu...13-gzkjiq.html