Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 21-05-2023, 04:02 PM   #1
AlanM

Default 2013 Zetec music streaming on Bluetooth?

Hi. I recently bought a second hand Sony stereo and Bluetooth module from a 2013 Zetec.
Was wondering if this model did Bluetooth music streaming, as it doesn't appear to have the option available at the moment. Is it something I can get working using Forscan? Or is the hardware just not there?

Also, the Bluetooth module has an old style micro USB port in it. If I fit a USB extension lead to this would I be able to play from USB sticks?

Thanks!

Last edited by AlanM; 21-05-2023 at 04:12 PM.
AlanM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2023, 06:11 PM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: 2013 Zetec music streaming on Bluetooth?

yes they all did if optioned with BT, is BT turned on in the settings, and it's paired correctly?

As for the usb slot I believe it can be used, at lest that was my understanding way back when.
Old 21-05-2023, 06:27 PM   #3
AlanM

Thanks, yeah, the phone works through BT, but there's no option for audio streaming, not on the phone or the stereo as far as I can see.

I've seen on YouTube where pressing the CD/Aux button brings up the BT audio option, but on mine it just toggles between the CD and Aux input.

I hooked up the OBD2 and laptop and looked at Forscan, but in the configuration menu the audio module doesn't appear, so I guess there's nothing I can do in that direction.
Old 22-05-2023, 12:03 PM   #4
Mondaveo

I have the Sony unit factory-fitted in my Titanium, and yes it plays Bluetooth, iPod, USB, aux-in and CD sources.

Inside the glovebox there are Aux-in and USB-A sockets. I'm lucky enough to have the genuine iPod harness cable that has the 30-pin dock connector at one end and plugs into both those sockets at the other (I understand these cost a pretty penny to replace from the dealer), connecting our old-timey iPod that basically lives in the car. I know from the manual I can also plug a USB storage device into that USB socket and play music stored off of that.

The source selection works as you described, pressing the CD/Aux button cycles through the available options e.g. CD > iPod > B/T. I'm surprised you're not seeing the B/T come up if you've successfully bonded the phone to the unit, on mine it just comes up waiting for media to be played. I will note that it's not the most intuitive system, for instance you can only have one active connection and if it connects to the wrong device I have to tap Phone then Menu to change to the one I want, then go back to music.

I'm not sure what the micro-USB socket on your Bluetooth receiver could be. As I said, my car has a USB socket that can take a flash drive (or iPod with the dongle), but it's a USB-A not micro-USB socket. I somehow doubt my USB-A socket is connected into a micro-USB plug to feed into the stereo, but I'm not certain how things are wired up behind the dashboard. I'm guessing it's more likely to take a microphone for phone calls.

I do need to replace my cabin filter sometime (which is a glovebox-out operation) so if I find time for it I'll try to have a look at where it's plugged in for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2023, 12:08 PM   #5
Mondaveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanM View Post
I hooked up the OBD2 and laptop and looked at Forscan, but in the configuration menu the audio module doesn't appear, so I guess there's nothing I can do in that direction.
Sorry for double post. Does your scantool support the Ford-proprietary MS-CAN ("medium speed" CAN) interface? Many of the non-drivetrain modules live on that network, you need a special kind of OBD2 tool to talk to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2023, 02:02 PM   #6
AlanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
Sorry for double post. Does your scantool support the Ford-proprietary MS-CAN ("medium speed" CAN) interface? Many of the non-drivetrain modules live on that network, you need a special kind of OBD2 tool to talk to them.
Yes, I think it does. It's the better version recommended on the Forscan forum, automatically does both speeds. It does pick up and reset DTCs on the Audio module, like low voltage and lost contact with the BCM when it was disconnected, it just doesn't show any configuration menu for it.

I'll keep mucking around with it, but yeah, there's definitely only CD and Aux options when I press that button. I'll probably get a micro USB - USB A cable and give it a try anyway.
Old 23-05-2023, 11:02 AM   #7
manchu

BT music works fine on my 2012 MC ZETEC wagon. It occasionally craps itself and wont connect but when it does that I get a 'BT searching' message when selecting BT input via the CD/Aux button, so sounds like yours in missing the feature rather than a connection/bonding issue.

A mate had a XR5 focus with what looked like this exact same head unit but it couldn't play music over BT. Maybe your car got this inferior HU from the factory, or it's been changed by someone since??

Either way it sucks. BT music is probably the biggest reason to go for a ZETEC over an LX IMO. At least you get the better sound system I guess.

If you've got the 3.5mm AUX input jack and the USB port in the centre console then best bet might be to put an aftermarket BT receiver in there. Or, just a hardwired connection to your phone.
manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2023, 04:55 PM   #8
AlanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchu View Post
BT music works fine on my 2012 MC ZETEC wagon. It occasionally craps itself and wont connect but when it does that I get a 'BT searching' message when selecting BT input via the CD/Aux button, so sounds like yours in missing the feature rather than a connection/bonding issue.

A mate had a XR5 focus with what looked like this exact same head unit but it couldn't play music over BT. Maybe your car got this inferior HU from the factory, or it's been changed by someone since??

Either way it sucks. BT music is probably the biggest reason to go for a ZETEC over an LX IMO. At least you get the better sound system I guess.

If you've got the 3.5mm AUX input jack and the USB port in the centre console then best bet might be to put an aftermarket BT receiver in there. Or, just a hardwired connection to your phone.
It's interesting, I tried a Bluetooth module from an older LX and on my phone you get two options: share directory and calls.
With the newer one there's also the option of sharing media, but it won't stay switched on when I switch it. So maybe there is some setting in the stereo that needs changing, or maybe it's something missing from the harness?
Old 24-05-2023, 09:58 PM   #9
AlanM

Something I find a little amusing. The female voice of the base model Ford stereo sounds quite cheerful and positive.
The Zetec lady sounds like she's got better things to do than talk to me!
This user likes this post:
Old 25-05-2023, 12:33 PM   #10
manchu

Quote:
It's interesting, I tried a Bluetooth module from an older LX and on my phone you get two options: share directory and calls.
With the newer one there's also the option of sharing media, but it won't stay switched on when I switch it. So maybe there is some setting in the stereo that needs changing, or maybe it's something missing from the harness?
ah, I only just twigged that you'd bought just the head unit. I thought you'd bought the whole Zetec car so my reply is probably a little wacky.

I've got no idea what's going on really but definitely could be a difference in the car if you're trying to put a zetec head unit into an LX (if I'm understanding correctly). The Sony HU in my Zetec ties in with the dash display for some info/setting/functionality (eg. changing HU time, selecting phone contacts, selecting audio inputs etc) so without the appropriate dash the HU may be somewhat crippled.

Why have you changed the head unit?

I'd be tempted to change to get a new fascia that can accept a double Din unit and get a kenwood, sony etc with carplay/android auto.
Old 25-05-2023, 03:20 PM   #11
AlanM

Quote:
ah, I only just twigged that you'd bought just the head unit. I thought you'd bought the whole Zetec car so my reply is probably a little wacky.

I've got no idea what's going on really but definitely could be a difference in the car if you're trying to put a zetec head unit into an LX (if I'm understanding correctly). The Sony HU in my Zetec ties in with the dash display for some info/setting/functionality (eg. changing HU time, selecting phone contacts, selecting audio inputs etc) so without the appropriate dash the HU may be somewhat crippled.

Why have you changed the head unit?

I'd be tempted to change to get a new fascia that can accept a double Din unit and get a kenwood, sony etc with carplay/android auto.
What happened was my bluetooth wasn't working at all. I tested with another stereo in another car, and it was the BT module not working.

Nearby someone was wrecking a Zetec, so I got the bluetooth module from them, hooked it up to my stereo and with an app on the phone could see it was transmitting bluetooth, but I couldn't get my phone to pair. I also couldn't unbond the existing phones, 5 of them using my head unit.

So I offered $50 for the Sony HU, that or I'd just put the BT module back. They accepted, so I wound up with the Zetec BT module and Sony.

Even if it doesn't stream music, it's got some advantages, a good one being it can voice dial straight out the directory, with the old stereo I had to pre-record names and numbers.

I really like the complete hands free voice calling capability, the lack of which puts me off fitting most aftermarket units.

The stereo itself seems OK, but the Ford CD 6000 always surprised me with how good it sounded, for a stock base model stereo.

With the clock, when I installed the Sony, it automatically got the right time from the car, so no issue there.

Last edited by AlanM; 25-05-2023 at 03:27 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 26-05-2023, 11:52 AM   #12
manchu

Quote:
What happened was . .

I really like the complete hands free voice calling capability, the lack of which puts me off fitting most aftermarket units.
cheers for the info.

Ever tried using the voice assistant on you phone?

'Hey Siri call mum' works like a charm for me. I've never used the handfree capability of the car.
Old 26-05-2023, 03:25 PM   #13
AlanM

Quote:
cheers for the info.

Ever tried using the voice assistant on you phone?

'Hey Siri call mum' works like a charm for me. I've never used the handfree capability of the car.
Yeah, but that doesn't turn the music down when there's an incoming call, and in reality it's not really hands free initially.
Old 27-05-2023, 08:45 PM   #14
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What happened was my bluetooth wasn't working at all. I tested with another stereo in another car, and it was the BT module not working.

Nearby someone was wrecking a Zetec, so I got the bluetooth module from them, hooked it up to my stereo and with an app on the phone could see it was transmitting bluetooth, but I couldn't get my phone to pair. I also couldn't unbond the existing phones, 5 of them using my head unit.

So I offered $50 for the Sony HU, that or I'd just put the BT module back. They accepted, so I wound up with the Zetec BT module and Sony.

Even if it doesn't stream music, it's got some advantages, a good one being it can voice dial straight out the directory, with the old stereo I had to pre-record names and numbers.

The stereo itself seems OK, but the Ford CD 6000 always surprised me with how good it sounded, for a stock base model stereo.

With the clock, when I installed the Sony, it automatically got the right time from the car, so no issue there.
During the time I've had the MB, one phone I've owned would use the BT for navigation but not music. All of the others were phone functions only. Weird.

The CD6000 sounds pretty good to me. I'd like to be able to stream from the phone, but not badly enough to venture into aftermarket stereos.

I should sort out a BT module for the minijack input, it would be nice to have music and navigation through the stereo.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Old 27-05-2023, 08:52 PM   #15
AlanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post
During the time I've had the MB, one phone I've owned would use the BT for navigation but not music. All of the others were phone functions only. Weird.

The CD6000 sounds pretty good to me. I'd like to be able to stream from the phone, but not badly enough to venture into aftermarket stereos.

I should sort out a BT module for the minijack input, it would be nice to have music and navigation through the stereo.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Yeah, but you can do music and nav through the aux input and it works fine. It'd be nice to be able to skip tracks using the buttons on the wheel, but I can live without it.

And yeah, I hesitate to go with an aftermarket stereo because there's a fair chance it wouldn't sound as good as either the Ford or Sony unit. (Which have pretty similar sound quality IMO)
Old 29-05-2023, 02:17 PM   #16
manchu

Quote:
Yeah, but that doesn't turn the music down when there's an incoming call, and in reality it's not really hands free initially.
It will turn the music down IF the music is coming from the phone, which I would think is the case usually, since that's what this thread is about.

It's very hands free. I can do all the necessary stuff such as make calls, send messages, play music, start navigation on the phone all with voice prompts and never touching the phone.
Old 30-05-2023, 06:27 AM   #17
AlanM

Quote:
It will turn the music down IF the music is coming from the phone, which I would think is the case usually, since that's what this thread is about.

It's very hands free. I can do all the necessary stuff such as make calls, send messages, play music, start navigation on the phone all with voice prompts and never touching the phone.
On short trips we'll generally just have the radio on. I usually don't even take my phone out my pocket. So if it rings, it's handy (and legal) to be able to answer without fishing it out and touching it. If you can do that with Siri that's cool, I didn't know that.

It's on longer trips where BT media streaming would have been good, especially if I'm using a navigation app too. But I can do it by wire, even if it doesn't allow all the functions.

Thanks for your help, knowing the Zetec does have the capability means it's worth tinkering with it when I feel inclined.
Old 30-05-2023, 02:01 PM   #18
manchu

Quote:
. If you can do that with Siri that's cool, I didn't know that.
Well to be clear I've never used siri to actually answer calls because I use the controls on the car, or I just touch the phone to answer (which is legal to do if the phone is already in a cradle).

Siri can do it but needs to set it up to announce calls.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guid.../16.0/ios/16.0