Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
LaserLikeFocus

Default Water in Air Conditioning System

Please help

1. Not the heater core leaking. Water is not coloured, no loss of fluid.
2. Possibly cowling needs serious reattachment, as I have had new windows.
3. LS 07 Focus which I bought new in May 2007.
4. Evidence of water above heater matrix.
5. Pools of water in footwells after carpets removed - literally litres.
6. Rust indicates along with wet foam seal around aluminium pipe, that water is draining from air con into carpets either side of 'drivetrain" into and under carpets. Also kick panels wet on lower half.
7. I have removed the dash but can't remove the sub dash. I cannot locate the "7 mm water pipe" which can be cleaned for an "easy solution"
8. Water collects after rain, even after cowling was reattached properly (no sealants though).
9. Suspect water entering air con inlet, however, car has done 206,000 km and there could be a crack in the metal work.

Is there a solution or do I need to give up and farm this out? Which professional would best deal with this?

LaserLikeFocus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
LaserLikeFocus

Default Re: Water in Air Conditioning System

Ford Service Bulletin:

WATER LEAKS AND/OR A/C CONDENSATION LEAKS AT FRONT FLOOR AREA - SERVICE TIPS

Publication Date: June 17, 2005

FORD: 2000-2005 Focus

This article supersedes TSB 02-25-1 to update the vehicle model years and service procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2000-2005 Focus vehicles may exhibit a difficult to diagnose or difficult to repair water leak or A/C system condensation leak condition in the front floor area. This may be caused by sealer skips, loose grommets, mis-positioned seals or condensation leaking from the A/C evaporator case.

ACTION:
Determine if the concern is an A/C condensation leak or a water leak and repair as necessary. Some common water leak locations and repair recommendations are listed in this article to help reduce repair time and increase repair effectiveness.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

If possible, ask the customer the following questions to help determine when the leak occurs.
Does leak occur only when A/C is on in high heat/humidity conditions?
If yes, proceed to A/C Condensation Leak Inspection/Repair Procedure.
If no, or customer is unsure, proceed to question b.
Does leak occur when it is raining or when the vehicle is taken through a car wash?
If yes, proceed to Water Leak Testing and Water Inspection/Repair Procedure.
If no, or customer is unsure, proceed to A/C Condensation Leak Inspection/Repair Procedure. If no problem is found proceed to Water Leak Testing and Water Leak Inspection/Repair Procedure.
A/C Condensation Leak Inspection/Repair Procedure

Start the engine and run vehicle with A/C on, in the recirculated air position, with the blower at high speed.
Inspect for condensation leaks coming from the evaporator case area.
If condensation leaks are present replace the evaporator case with Part Number 5S4Z-19B50-BB. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 412-02.
NOTE: DO NOT REPLACE THE EVAPORATOR CASE IF A CONDENSATION LEAK CANNOT BE VERIFIED.

Water Leak Testing Procedure

Using a high pressure water hose or a pressure washer, run water onto the windshield being sure to direct water over the roof ditch moldings, and down onto the cowl (Figure 1).

Figure 1 - Article 05-13-3

Open the hood and direct water (from the side of the vehicle) into the base of the A-pillar in the hood hinge area (Figure 2).

Figure 2 - Article 05-13-3

Remove right front inner splash shield and direct water into the back of the right front wheel well area (Figure 3). Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 501-02.
Proceed to Water Leak Inspection/Repair Procedure.

Figure 3 - Article 05-13-3

Water leak Inspection/Repair Procedure

Inspect the following areas for visible signs of leaks and follow the appropriate repair steps.

Water is visible at Blower Motor Connector, Blower Motor Resistor, Blower Motor Mounting Flange, or Foot Air Duct:

NOTE: THE MOST LIKELY SOURCE OF THE LEAK IS THE FRESH AIR INTAKE. WATER ENTRY INTO THE AIR INLET HOUSING MAY BE VISIBLE BY LOOKING THROUGH THE RECIRCULATION DOOR AS IT IS OPEN AND CLOSED. TO DO THIS, REMOVE THE GLOVE BOX, TURN THE IGNITION KEY TO THE ON POSITION AND PUSH THE RECIRCULATION BUTTON.

Remove the cowl panel grille and inspect for gaps between the pollen filter housing gasket and sheet metal plenum (2000-2003 model years) or skips in the sealer around the pollen filter housing (2004-2005 model years).
If gaps are present inspect for bent plenum sheet metal flanges and repair as necessary.
Seal around the pollen filter housing perimeter using Clear Silicone Rubber (TA-32).
Water is Visible on Evaporator Case Seal at the Heater Core Inlet/Outlet:

Inspect for a mis-positioned evaporator case seal at the heater core inlet/outlet. Repair as necessary (Figure 4).

Figure 4 - Article 05-13-3

Inspect for loose evaporator case housing attachment nuts. Repair as necessary.
Water is Visible in the Right Kick Panel/A-Post Area

NOTE: IT MAY BE NECESSARY TO REMOVE THE INSTRUMENT PANEL TO FULLY ACCESS AND REPAIR SOME LEAK SOURCES. FOLLOW WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 501-12 IF INSTRUMENT PANEL REMOVAL IS NECESSARY.

Inspect for sealer skip behind roof ditch moldings. Fold the ditch molding back and inspect for a pinhole in the body seal just above the windshield. Reseal as necessary with Motorcraft Roof Ditch Sealer (TA-15) (Figure 5).

Figure 5 - Article 05-13-3

Inspect for wire harness body grommet loose or mis-positioned. Reposition or reinstall grommet as necessary (Figure 6).

Figure 6 - Article 05-13-3

Inspect for skip in windshield urethane. Reseal as necessary.
Inspect for sealer skip in A-post to cowl joint. Reseal as necessary (Figure 7).

Figure 7 - Article 05-13-3

Inspect for sealer skips between cowl top to bulkhead, just above main harness grommet (Figure 8).

Figure 8 - Article 05-13-3

PART NUMBER PART NAME
5S4Z-19850-BB A/C Evaporator Case
TA-32 Clear Silicone Rubber
TA-15 Motorcraft Roof Ditch Sealer
2 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
LaserLikeFocus

However, I still don't know what to do. Damn.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:07 PM   #4
LaserLikeFocus

Haha. Fixed this years ago...

Turned out that the aircon reticulation pipe was clogged up at a 90-degree turn. I got a new one and it drained easy peasy, had to dry the car out nonetheless.

The culprit was a build-up of pollen and dirt coming in from the aircon. I wonder if I had been regularly replacing my cabin air filter if the issue would have been less bad?
Old 06-01-2019, 03:46 PM   #5
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

It's interesting the period it covers, 2000-2005 as the MkI, German Build, was introduced to the Australian Market in 2002 and superceded by the MkII in 2004, which is the LS, South African build. It says "some" vehicles may be affected. Fortunately my MkI 2003 German Build had no such problems and I never received any recall notice on it.

Glad to hear the problem has been fixed, LaserLikeFocus.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2019, 09:35 AM   #6
LaserLikeFocus

Yeah it was a hell of a problem. I think you are right, it comes from cheap engineering.