Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-04-2009, 12:25 AM   #1
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Questions about AU Falcons

I'm looking at an AU III XR6 manual for my first car soon, I've found a really nice stock clean example for $13,000 in Victoria, its a bit much but I reckon i might be able to bargain him down a bit, how is the AU Falcon like for a first car? Also, whats the difference between a VCT XR6 and a plain XR6? Thanks.

Anyone had any specific problems with a series III?

Also, Series III AU XR6 vs Series I BA XR6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Price is a little high, unless it's ultra mint.

VCT XR6 had the Variable Cam Timing motor, which is good for about an extra 15kw or so, but they were usually optioned with IRS too, slowing them down. In some cases a Non-VCT XR6 (usually referred to as a HP due to a mildly upgraded stock motor) without IRS were actually faster than the VCT version.

They are awesome cars, but as a first car? Well, i hope you know how to handle a big car with bags of torque.
But $13k on a first car, you're obviously not 16 are you.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I wouldn't say that. Heaps of kids his age get loans on cars. Heaps of them can't afford the repayments...

For your first car, get a Corolla, or if you have to have a Ford, get a Laser.

You will, and this is not being smart, but you will stack your first car. It might not write it off, but, an accident is an accident. If you stack a Falcon, they aren't cheap to repair - hell, nothing is really cheap to repair, but with a Corolla, or a Laser, they are cheap to buy, and insure. Nobody is an excellent driver straight off the bat, and you will be no exception.

Get a small, cheap car to begin with, and then, with experience, move into a Falcon.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I wouldn't say that. Heaps of kids his age get loans on cars. Heaps of them can't afford the repayments...

You will, and this is not being smart, but you will stack your first car. It might not write it off, but, an accident is an accident. If you stack a Falcon, they aren't cheap to repair - hell, nothing is really cheap to repair, but with a Corolla, or a Laser, they are cheap to buy, and insure. Nobody is an excellent driver straight off the bat, and you will be no exception.

Get a small, cheap car to begin with, and then, with experience, move into a Falcon.
Great advice. Get a little japo buzzbox for your crashing! So much safer than a good built solid Falcon, which with the AU III XR, was the safest car in its class when built!

Daymoe,

A Falcon, any model, is a great first car. Not everyone is going to crash their first car, but incase it happens, thats why we insure.
The on road differences between a HP and a VCT are limited, but there is less to go wrong with the HP. I would be happy with either.

As for the AU v BA. The BA was much heavier, with a very bulky Control Blade IRS. The Engine was also new for the BA and It tended to be very thirsty on fuel, when compered to the AU. The BA has a very different look, considering the 2 cars shared floor pan, doors and roof as a minimum, but I dislike the interior treatment. All the switch gear looks like it was designed for another car. The NA XR6 is very limited in changes from the XT, same engine, HP, suspension, and changes were limited to Light/ Bumper treatment and seats. (this is slightly over simplifying it) but you get the idea. Built and Engineered entirely by Ford.
The AU XR was the last Tickford Model, and differs from the base model with some engine mods, more HP, Quad Light Front, Suspension mods, dash treatment. The AU was Fairmont based (the BA falcon).

I feel the AU is a better package, but the BA is newer, more power, more popular. Its entirely up to you!

Mike
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

personally i wouldn't go a S3 XR6 for first car, maybe a S1 XR6 or S2 fairmont/ghia

Just remember if you are still a young bloke then insurance will cost you a killing on an XR6.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I agree with Paxton entirely.
Get a shtter for your first car. You're gonna stack it, so don't stack something good. Move up to a big powerful falcon when you've learnt your way around a shtter and can truly appreciate the awesomeness that is a Falcon.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
MRJUCY
Fordless

Quote:
VCT XR6 had the Variable Cam Timing motor, which is good for about an extra 15kw or so, but they were usually optioned with IRS too,
The VCT always had IRS as well as a few other goodies like LSD, 17s, rear power windows etc.

The IRS makes a big difference in real world grip & handling as well as a more comfortable ride. It's worth checking the rear shock mounts on an IRS equipped AU tho as they tend to flog out.

The VCT had 172kw & 374Nm vs 164kw & 366Nm.

The HP has a bit better fuel economy then the VCT
VCT manual highway 8L per 100km vs 7.8 & city 12.5 vs 12
VCT auto highway 8.5L per 100km vs 7.8 & city 12.5 vs 12.5

The manual versions had different gear ratios too & I'm sure there is some other detail differences I've forgotten about.

I'd go the AU over the BA the BA is a little more refined but the AU is a bit sportier & fun to drive as well as I always think the last of a model run usually has less dramas then an early build car. Falcons are great first cars big safe, reliable & cheap to run.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

A AU 111 for your first car would be a great choice good tough and reliable as for getting a crapper.... for your first car thats your choice and your attitude will determine how that turns out, both my sons and my self had good cars first up with out trashing them . May be if others had spent the extra on a good car first up they may have learnt to be a bit more carefull in both driving and looking after them .. but hey Im old now and what would I know .....

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #9
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Price is a little high, unless it's ultra mint.

VCT XR6 had the Variable Cam Timing motor, which is good for about an extra 15kw or so, but they were usually optioned with IRS too, slowing them down. In some cases a Non-VCT XR6 (usually referred to as a HP due to a mildly upgraded stock motor) without IRS were actually faster than the VCT version.

They are awesome cars, but as a first car? Well, i hope you know how to handle a big car with bags of torque.
I'm not 16.... I'm 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton

Mum was thinking of giving me her Festiva, but I don't really want a small car, the only cars I've driven are small cars and they're boring and too cramped. Also, no I didn't get a loan I can't afford the repayments on, I've been working since 2006 started off on $17.50 an hour, now on $22 an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
Great advice. Get a little japo buzzbox for your crashing! So much safer than a good built solid Falcon, which with the AU III XR, was the safest car in its class when built!

Daymoe,

A Falcon, any model, is a great first car. Not everyone is going to crash their first car, but incase it happens, thats why we insure.
The on road differences between a HP and a VCT are limited, but there is less to go wrong with the HP. I would be happy with either.

As for the AU v BA. The BA was much heavier, with a very bulky Control Blade IRS. The Engine was also new for the BA and It tended to be very thirsty on fuel, when compered to the AU. The BA has a very different look, considering the 2 cars shared floor pan, doors and roof as a minimum, but I dislike the interior treatment. All the switch gear looks like it was designed for another car. The NA XR6 is very limited in changes from the XT, same engine, HP, suspension, and changes were limited to Light/ Bumper treatment and seats. (this is slightly over simplifying it) but you get the idea. Built and Engineered entirely by Ford.
The AU XR was the last Tickford Model, and differs from the base model with some engine mods, more HP, Quad Light Front, Suspension mods, dash treatment. The AU was Fairmont based (the BA falcon).

I feel the AU is a better package, but the BA is newer, more power, more popular. Its entirely up to you!

Mike
The BA is more expensive also, the manual ones cost an arm and a leg, I'd have to buy towards the end of the year if I wanted one, unless I bargained them down by about $3000, which probably wouldn't happen. My cousin just picked up a BA XR6 4sp auto for his first car for $11,000, why do the manual ones have to be so expensive for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
The VCT always had IRS as well as a few other goodies like LSD, 17s, rear power windows etc.

The IRS makes a big difference in real world grip & handling as well as a more comfortable ride. It's worth checking the rear shock mounts on an IRS equipped AU tho as they tend to flog out.

The VCT had 172kw & 374Nm vs 164kw & 366Nm.

The HP has a bit better fuel economy then the VCT
VCT manual highway 8L per 100km vs 7.8 & city 12.5 vs 12
VCT auto highway 8.5L per 100km vs 7.8 & city 12.5 vs 12.5

The manual versions had different gear ratios too & I'm sure there is some other detail differences I've forgotten about.

I'd go the AU over the BA the BA is a little more refined but the AU is a bit sportier & fun to drive as well as I always think the last of a model run usually has less dramas then an early build car. Falcons are great first cars big safe, reliable & cheap to run.
Ah righto, with the VCT's 172Kw vs the BA's 182Kw, wouldn't the AU be better than a BA because its lighter? Also, by the way, 95% of my driving is country roads so fuel shouldn't really be a big issue here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
A AU 111 for your first car would be a great choice good tough and reliable as for getting a crapper.... for your first car thats your choice and your attitude will determine how that turns out, both my sons and my self had good cars first up with out trashing them . May be if others had spent the extra on a good car first up they may have learnt to be a bit more carefull in both driving and looking after them .. but hey Im old now and what would I know .....
You can tell someone no until the cows come home, ultimately they'll do what ever they like and that means they'll have to bare the consequences for their actions, I've been keeping that in mind.

Thanks for the comments, keep them coming, here is the car in question:

Click me!

It looks mint, the engine bay looks rather dirty but.
Quote:

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
T3man
Banned

It's a good example but definitely overpriced. bargain him down to no more than 11 and you'll be getting a very reliable and rewarding car to be proud of for several years. AUs are ageing very well for several reasons - the design was ahead of it's time and therefore still looks contemporary. The were very well designed and built - even better than B Series in my opinion. And they had a good balance of performance/comfort/economy that is hard to achieve. They are especially good for country driving and the manual is absolutely the best option in the XR6 every time! get him down on the price and go for it.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #11
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nice very nice, tell him to drop the price about 3k because of that damn ugly window shade, spoiler and towbar lol
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

As long as the vehicle check's out and you go over it and find nothing, that is a very good car for a young fella to start out with.
I would be happy with it.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #13
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
It's a good example but definitely overpriced. bargain him down to no more than 11 and you'll be getting a very reliable and rewarding car to be proud of for several years. AUs are ageing very well for several reasons - the design was ahead of it's time and therefore still looks contemporary. The were very well designed and built - even better than B Series in my opinion. And they had a good balance of performance/comfort/economy that is hard to achieve. They are especially good for country driving and the manual is absolutely the best option in the XR6 every time! get him down on the price and go for it.
I thought so too, its a bit over priced, I don't really like the front bar with the funny lights, but its sort of grown on me now haha, its weird how that works. I've only ever been in an AU Falcon once and it was a wagon, one of my old mates Dad's, but I remember it being comfy, it was about 4 years ago now

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
nice very nice, tell him to drop the price about 3k because of that damn ugly window shade, spoiler and towbar lol
Window shade will come off but I actually like the spoiler and tow bar could come in handy for Dad, instead of killing his Mazda 323, he can use my car for towing the 6x4 trailer But price should come down though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
As long as the vehicle check's out and you go over it and find nothing, that is a very good car for a young fella to start out with.
I would be happy with it.
I believe so too, I'd be real happy with that.
Quote:

Old 04-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

another vote for get a decent 1st car, air bag/s , abs brakes, much better chance of keeping you and it in one piece, Au`s are not with out fault like any car but they are good to drive and easey to maintain and live with, had my series 2 xr for 4 years approximatley still enjoy driving it, very little difference between series 2 and 3 i think, someone might point them out.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #15
Lightning Strike XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate get what you want. You will appreciate it and look after it.

I've been told by many not to get a six. But bugger em its your money and if your heart says to get the XR then do it. I don't regret it for a minute. :

When you get your license? Got 3 months personally.

www.bseries.com.au/04xr6

Buying or Selling property in Melbourne PM me!
Lightning Strike XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

There are two very nice AU XR6's for sale in local car yards up here in Ballarat atm. One is a Silver AUII and has the full kit for $9999. The other is a SIII in Blueprint, full kit and AU3XR6 plates but I'm unsure of the price but it should be quite reasonable as they are a good yard. Not sure on the kays on either but I could check if you want.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2009, 11:48 PM   #17
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
There are two very nice AU XR6's for sale in local car yards up here in Ballarat atm. One is a Silver AUII and has the full kit for $9999. The other is a SIII in Blueprint, full kit and AU3XR6 plates but I'm unsure of the price but it should be quite reasonable as they are a good yard. Not sure on the kays on either but I could check if you want.
is this it Russell? also, i think i've seen the blueprint sprint you're talking about, i'll look for it.

cheers, Anthony
EDIT: woops, wrong link :evil3: i lost it, i'll keep looking
http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars...=25&__Qpb=true another one on carsales, although it isn't $9999

Last edited by Coogs289; 04-04-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Coogs289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 02:54 AM   #18
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I agree with Paxton entirely.
Get a shtter for your first car. You're gonna stack it, so don't stack something good. Move up to a big powerful falcon when you've learnt your way around a shtter and can truly appreciate the awesomeness that is a Falcon.
sorry but i cant agree with you
they first car i learnt to drive in was a huge dirty great manual toyota tarago... that thing was huge
soon after all ive driven is falcons for the past 2 years, i learnt in my dads xh, my mums worked au and my uncles highly worked sIII xr8
...oh and of course my own au!
i think its rubbish to say a car is bad for a learner/p plater because if theyre taught to drive with power in all conditions and in unfamiliar environments (the way i was taught by my dad) then they will be fine on their own in anything.

go for the falcon mate, you wont regret it. you start driving a festiva around as your own and soon enough you will start counting down the days til you can drive a falcon like every other revhead on the forums :

edit: the car is nice, very very tidy! still, id cringe handing over 11k for it
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 10:01 AM   #19
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
is THIS the blueprint one?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #20
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity_avisGT
is THIS the blueprint one?
It is, not worth that money though. Nice looking thing though.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #21
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

aren't the mirrors supposed to be colour coded? i've seen some that aren't/weren't (Russell's) including this one.
Cheers, Anthony
P.S Russell, your car is awesome! :
Old 05-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #22
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
aren't the mirrors supposed to be colour coded? i've seen some that aren't/weren't (Russell's) including this one.
Cheers, Anthony
P.S Russell, your car is awesome! :
Mine had colour coded mirrors from factory along with all the other AUII 220's.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #23
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
must be thinking of another red xr8 then :togo:
so how come some xr6's have colour coded mirrors whilst others don't (like the xr6 in my above post.

Cheers, Anthony
Old 05-04-2009, 11:08 AM   #24
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
must be thinking of another red xr8 then :togo:
so how come some xr6's have colour coded mirrors whilst others don't (like the xr6 in my above post.

Cheers, Anthony
It all depends on what option boxes were ticked.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #25
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
It all depends on what option boxes were ticked.
that make sense
was their much difference between series 1, 2 & 3? My dad sold the xr6 yesterday and is now looking at an EF/L XR6/8 or an AU XR6.
do you think that it's possible to get a decent AU for 5k?
Cheers, Anthony
Old 05-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #26
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Are they manual? I'm only after a manual car, thanks for the offer but I don't want to waste your time checking out cars for some random on the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strike XR6
Mate get what you want. You will appreciate it and look after it.

I've been told by many not to get a six. But bugger em its your money and if your heart says to get the XR then do it. I don't regret it for a minute. :

When you get your license? Got 3 months personally.
I'm getting my license in September, a bit of time left but if I can get used to my own car before I start driving by myself that would be ideal. I reckon if I spend my own hard earned on a car, rather than having someone buy me one/give me one I'd treat it with respect because after all, it was my own money.

Thanks for all the replies guys, keep them coming. I emailed the guy yesterday, waiting on reply, if he doesn't I'll ring him up soon.

Edit: Holy crap, he actually replied. No one ever replies to email enquiries on Carsales.
Quote:

Old 05-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #27
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
so how come some xr6's have colour coded mirrors whilst others don't

Cheers, Anthony
Colour coded Mirrors were standard on the SerIII but weren't done on the SerII
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #28
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
Colour coded Mirrors were standard on the SerIII but weren't done on the SerII
Not true, all AUII XR8's optioned with the 220kw engine got them. Pretty sure the up spec models got them too.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #29
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
i was thinking of TICK4D-TAS's XR8 that I was thinking of.
Also, do you think that it's possible to get a decent AU for 5k?
Old 05-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #30
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Are they manual? I'm only after a manual car, thanks for the offer but I don't want to waste your time checking out cars for some random on the internet

I'm getting my license in September, a bit of time left but if I can get used to my own car before I start driving by myself that would be ideal. I reckon if I spend my own hard earned on a car, rather than having someone buy me one/give me one I'd treat it with respect because after all, it was my own money.

Thanks for all the replies guys, keep them coming. I emailed the guy yesterday, waiting on reply, if he doesn't I'll ring him up soon.

Edit: Holy crap, he actually replied. No one ever replies to email enquiries on Carsales.
the SIII Sprint in blueprint is a manual. Here is the ad. I don't know about the silver one though. Here are some on carsales at the moment.

Cheers, Anthony