Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-08-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
fernsantos

Default $135 IS THIS A GOOD DEAL FORD AU ser 2 & 3 FRONT DISC ROTORS DRILLED & SLOTTED

Saw this on ebay they said the brand is SGH, made from bhp steel just wondering if this is a good deal and if they are any good

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-AU-ser-2...d=p3286.c0.m14

fernsantos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I bought a set of these for my missus' wagon and thay've been on for 5000kms so far without a drama. The only thing I've noticed is that under extreme emergency braking I can feel a high frequency vibration coming through the pedal and wheel. It's not a dodgy disc problem like when they need machining as there's no shimmy in the steering wheel and the frequency is too high. My guess is it's the pads reacting and snagging the edge of the slots in the disc under extreme pressure but as I've never had slotted discs before I don't know if this is normal or if it's soft pads or if it's a different issue. Either way, it only happens under maximum braking and never at any other time and the car still pulls up straight and true and better than it used to from high speed. I've not noticed any other issues as yet but as I said, they've only gone 5000kms so time will tell. As yet I'm not unhappy with my investment.
Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers
Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
I bought a set of these for my missus' wagon and thay've been on for 5000kms so far without a drama. The only thing I've noticed is that under extreme emergency braking I can feel a high frequency vibration coming through the pedal and wheel. It's not a dodgy disc problem like when they need machining as there's no shimmy in the steering wheel and the frequency is too high. My guess is it's the pads reacting and snagging the edge of the slots in the disc under extreme pressure but as I've never had slotted discs before I don't know if this is normal or if it's soft pads or if it's a different issue. Either way, it only happens under maximum braking and never at any other time and the car still pulls up straight and true and better than it used to from high speed. I've not noticed any other issues as yet but as I said, they've only gone 5000kms so time will tell. As yet I'm not unhappy with my investment.
Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers
Bushbasher
It's normal, under emergency braking you will feel the slots a bit.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

In that case, it's all good and I'm very happy with my investment so far

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
GJB XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernsantos
Saw this on ebay they said the brand is SGH, made from bhp steel just wondering if this is a good deal and if they are any good

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-AU-ser-2...d=p3286.c0.m14
Has anybody else used or are using this brand of rotor as i am also interested in this purchase as i currently have the RDA slotted rotors on and that was the worst purchase that i have made for the car so far . They didn’t even last 6 months before warping dramatically and are getting worse each day. So i am now looking at replacing them but this time i wont to purchase something that will last allot longer then 6 months.
Old 27-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

well i'm picking up a set of front and rears tonight...we'll see how the go i guess..

the fairlane needed discs anyway.. so for the price it seems good..

mines not a daily driver so it'll be a while before i can tell if they warp though..

will post pics when they're on the car..

cheers
kris

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

I bought something similar off eBay as well - from a mechanics place in South Melbourne......got front and rear drilled & slotted for $280......these guys also could fit them as well!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Brake-Rotors-...4.c0.m14.l1262

As far as BHP steel, it's Aussie stuff so it can't be that bad surely!!
Old 27-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #8
chrispie123
Banned

i agree couldnt be any worse than the rda slotted rotors had them on my au2 for about 7000 they started warping fairly badly and leaving a fair size lip on the rotor with the pads supplied in the combo
chrispie123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
HOTC2R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought full set of front & rears from him and they look ok. Don't need to put them on quite yet as the current ones still has a little life left in them.
Don't know what brand the pads are, look pretty average and I won't be using them anyway.
HOTC2R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #10
FLOORED
Race Brakes Sydney

I don't want to bore anyone but thought this may be useful information

Regarding the rotors advertised and some comments in the thread i would like to say that generally you get what you pay for and as the saying goes if you buy peanuts you get peanuts.99% of rotors here in Australia are made anywhere from China to Germany and the process including the temperature used when pouring the steel is different by every supplier.
In saying this, generally rotors don't just warp for no reason and if you take precautions the majority of aftermarket disc rotors and the right pad combination will work for the average car.

I have put some info down that may be of assistance to you.
Warping is primarily caused by excessive heat, which softens the metal and allows it to be reshaped. The main causes of overheating are: undersized or over machined brake discs, excessive braking (racing, descending hills/mountains), “riding” the brakes, or a “stuck” brake pad (pad touches disc at all times).

Another potential cause of warping is when the disc is overheated and the vehicle is stopped. When keeping the brakes applied, the area where the pads contact the disc will cause uneven cooling and lead to warping.

Warping can also be caused by improperly torquing the lug nuts when putting on a wheel.

Warping will often lead to a thickness variation of the disc. If it has runout, a thin spot will develop by the repetitive contact of the pad against the high spot as the disc turns. When the thin section of the disc passes under the pads, the pads move together and the brake pedal will drop slightly. When the thicker section of the disc passes between the pads, the pads will move apart and the brake pedal will raise slightly. This change causes pedal pulsation.

The thickness variation can be felt by the driver when it is approximately 0.007 inch or greater.

Street to track is what we expertise in

Phone 02 9609 1101

sales@racebrakessydney.com.au

www.racebrakessydney.com.au
FLOORED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #11
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

well i put these on... they stop a hell of alot better...
all i can say is don't use the pads that come with them they are squeaky as hell and very dusty...

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post