Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 25-01-2014, 11:43 PM   #1
evil_hitman
Starter Motor

Default Auto radiator in manual car

Hi all,
I feel this is a dumb question but want to get a few peoples opinion.
I have just got myself a ke laser (manual)
The current radiator has a hole in it around the size of a fifty cent piece yet miraculously it doesn't leak coolant.

I'm looking to replace it but the local self serve wrecker has only got good auto ones, whilst new on fleabay seem to be all auto but advertised as good for manual.

Now I realise that on a manual I simply don't connect up the transmission cooler part, but my concern is the potentially unseen corrosion that may occur from the inside out in the trans cooler with no inhibitor (trans fluid) in there to stop it.

Am I over thinking this or is this a real risk?

This car is not a daily driver, it is a dedicated motorkhana vehicle so more than likely will only be driven on average one day a month and sit for the remainder.

Cheers
Matthew

evil_hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2014, 11:58 PM   #2
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Auto radiator in manual car

On mine, there are two sorts, manual and auto

Essentually can use auto on the manual, and plug up the holes for the auto cooler section (comes with blanking caps most of the time) or can cap it off.

Others have adapted the auto cooler for power steering cooling.

Dont see a issue, happy to be wrong
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Auto radiator in manual car

Almost a year later but that's how it goes in this section. To the op's question, there is no issue with using the auto radiator in a manual car, most new radiators are made to suit both transmissions. As for the auto cooling tube, there is nothing (coolant) going through it in a manual car. It will not corrode from the outside as there is only air in it. If you are still worried, put the blanking plugs you got when you purchased it back in with a dab of silastic or sikaflex on the thread of the plug. Be sure you do not want to take them out again if you use sikaflex. Once that stuff is in place, it does not want to be moved.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post