Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-04-2019, 09:58 PM   #1
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AU Odometer Globes

Guys

One of my odometer globes wasn’t working, replaced the globe, now both aren’t working after the wiring looms had been plugged into the cluster. Any suggestions, it’s got me beat.

Regards
Edxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2019, 10:36 PM   #2
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Re: AU Odometer Globes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edxr6 View Post
Guys

One of my odometer globes wasn’t working, replaced the globe, now both aren’t working after the wiring looms had been plugged into the cluster. Any suggestions, it’s got me beat.

Regards
What sort of globe did you replace the original globe with?

They can be very temperamental, make sure they are in nice and tight. Even shove some alfoil in between the globe connector and circuit board where you plug them in.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-04-2019, 07:24 AM   #3
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PG2

I used the original and the one that was working I didn’t touch.

Cheers
Old 21-04-2019, 07:25 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I had an issue a bit like this with the clock light. The contacts were not making good on the tracks of the circuit board.

As it was a phenolic board the easiest repair was to build up the tracks with a thin layer of solder. The other approach is to build up the contact pads on the globe assembly. You need to be reasonably handy at soldering, have a fairly hot iron and cleaned substrate.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-04-2019, 03:08 PM   #5
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PG2,

Tried the Alfoil, still no good. What hassle, the worst part is the plugging and unplugging of the cluster, so tight. I will buy two new Globes, just in case it’s the Globes. Then start again, if still no good I will revert to the soldering iron.

Cheers
Old 05-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #6
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fellas,

Brought two new globes, still not working?

Regards
Old 05-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #7
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Dont have a spare cluster around to check?
Uk
Just a thought
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2019, 06:25 PM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Have you got voltage?
Old 05-05-2019, 07:25 PM   #9
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Citroenbender,

I assume yes, because all other lights are working on the instrument cluster.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:26 PM   #10
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken View Post
Dont have a spare cluster around to check?
Uk
Just a thought
Cheers
Old 07-05-2019, 10:35 PM   #11
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I'm going to suggest you start with a simple test using something like a 1.2W T-5 wedge globe. Power up the cluster lighting, and "unpick" the wire tails of the T-5, touch one wire leg to each contact pad for a dash illumination globe and see if it lights up.

Silly question, but you have tried both positions (dimmer and brighter) of the dash illumination control?
Old 08-05-2019, 08:22 PM   #12
thexd351
Starter Motor

Hi
I had this happen, I used LEDs and that fixed the issue for me at least. The down side is that they're illuminated all the time when the key is on.
If this will work for you as it did for me I can't say. Purely an option to think about.
thexd351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2019, 02:31 PM   #13
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I'm going to suggest you start with a simple test using something like a 1.2W T-5 wedge globe. Power up the cluster lighting, and "unpick" the wire tails of the T-5, touch one wire leg to each contact pad for a dash illumination globe and see if it lights up.

Silly question, but you have tried both positions (dimmer and brighter) of the dash illumination control?
Citroenbender,

The dimmer is all good, I will try the test with a couple globes I got from the wreckers as soon as I get some time. It’s really frustrating and a problematic issue. It must be a common problem once the factory globes blow?

Cheers
Old 16-05-2019, 10:13 AM   #14
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Just get a pair of these and fit them.

They don't light up as uniformly as factory globes but close.

PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2019, 12:24 PM   #15
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PridenJoy,

I brought two new globes from Burson’s and still won’t light up?

Regards
Old 16-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #16
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Then, other than swapping over the globes which has worked for me in the past, cluster itself is the issue.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post