Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-07-2018, 09:07 PM   #1
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Centreline Dual Markings

Anyone seen these elsewhere before?

These appeared on the road between Sale and Maffra a couple of months back, about the same time as the safety barriers (seen in these pics) along the whole stretch of road (about 18kms) were completed.

The first time I drove on the road, I thought they had made a mistake with the markings, or that, with the introduction of the barriers, they were re-aligning the centreline and just hadn't got around to blanking out the old markings. However, that does not appear to be the case and the dual markings appear to be deliberate. At each end (I couldn't get a pic of it unfortunately) the dual lines are actually painted converging back to a single marking.

I wonder what the theory behind this style of marking is?

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2018, 09:17 PM   #2
Trendseeker

Default Re: Centreline Dual Markings

No, not like that. Here’s a result from a search.

A dividing line is a road marking formed by a white line or two parallel white lines (broken or continuous) designed to separate the parts of a road to be used by vehicles travelling in opposite directions. You must keep to the left of these lines (Examples 1 and 2).

Must have been a lot of side-swipes or near misses on that stretch of road.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:25 PM   #3
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At last, space saving Cyclist Lanes!
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2018, 09:33 PM   #4
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker View Post
No, not like that. Here’s a result from a search.

A dividing line is a road marking formed by a white line or two parallel white lines (broken or continuous) designed to separate the parts of a road to be used by vehicles travelling in opposite directions. You must keep to the left of these lines (Examples 1 and 2).

Must have been a lot of side-swipes or near misses on that stretch of road.
Thanks. Following your prompt, I did a google search and came across a Queensland government reference and this pdf.

The article suggests that the wide strip may be placed to provide additional space when cars are passing other vehicles on the shoulder, and given these went in at the same time as the safety barriers, I suspect they are there for this scenario.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 09-07-2018, 09:46 PM   #5
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe Govco thinks we're all Myopic or is it more nanny ... "Can't see one line? ... There you go lambkins now there are two".
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2018, 11:32 PM   #6
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
The article suggests that the wide strip may be placed to provide additional space when cars are passing other vehicles on the shoulder, and given these went in at the same time as the safety barriers, I suspect they are there for this scenario.

The first I saw of them was between Cooroy and Gympie as the road was being upgraded.

There are signs that accompany them (up here) explaining the rules but a lot of people won't overtake on them at all.

Actually, a lot of people won't overtake unless it's dual lanes so maybe it's not confusion with the newish line markings.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-07-2018, 12:42 AM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

They've been in NSW Nth of West Wyalong for quite a few years now. The idea behind them is to keep drivers away from the centre of the road.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:25 AM   #8
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is also on the Dukes hwy between Adelaide and Bordertown, this wide centre line treatment along with audible line markings alerts you if you stray into the oncoming lanes reckon it’s a great initiative.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 10-07-2018, 07:54 AM   #9
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's to provide more space between vehicles driving in the opposite direction, supposedly to reduce the number of head ons.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2018, 09:04 AM   #10
71cop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
It's to provide more space between vehicles driving in the opposite direction, supposedly to reduce the number of head ons.
Correct.
71cop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2018, 10:04 AM   #11
slowsnake
Banned

Hello,
I remember lines like that in the Sydney suburbs in the 70's, they were everywhere!
Sometimes there were more than 2 lines.
Just depended if you dropped a Black dot or a Traffic Light!..

Cheers Billy.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2018, 10:32 AM   #12
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:

Oh, so it's me they're aimed at.

My default driving position on country roads is to straddle the white line (obviously when there's no oncoming traffic)

Makes it a more comfortable drive compared to wallowing up and down in the low side truck ruts.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:13 PM   #13
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRU842 View Post
At last, space saving Cyclist Lanes!

haha bet me to it
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #14
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest View Post

My default driving position on country roads is to straddle the white line (obviously when there's no oncoming traffic)

Makes it a more comfortable drive compared to wallowing up and down in the low side truck ruts.
Hello,
Geez I like some of your answers,again back in the mid 70's on the road from Rocky to Blackwater, i was off to the Coalmine the road was one lane 8ft wide then a 2ft drop off to the shoulder made of mud and sand 4ft wide,very heavy stuff,especially at night in the rain,lol..line or no line the bigger vehicle will take precedence over everything smaller!

Cheers Billy.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #15
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

No, it’s the driver who is falling asleep, about to drift into the oncoming traffic.....

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 10-07-2018, 07:03 PM   #16
olds

Lots around Cairns
olds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2018, 09:04 PM   #17
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seen heaps of them. I assumed it just keeps the traffic a little further apart.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2018, 11:31 PM   #18
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
back in the mid 70's on the road from Rocky to Blackwater, i was off to the Coalmine the road was one lane 8ft wide then a 2ft drop off to the shoulder made of mud and sand 4ft wide,very heavy stuff,especially at night in the rain,lol..line or no line the bigger vehicle will take precedence over everything smaller!
By that time I was carting general freight Sydney - Townsville/Cairns.
Quite a lot of the road was single lane inc parts of the Newell between Moree and Goondiwindi, most of it from Moonie to Mount Morgan and then again north of Rocky.
If scalies were operating in Rocky we'd shoot up through Kokotungo to Dingo and then up the Development Road to Mackay.

Some time after I got out of trucks I lived at Emerald for a while so got to know the road from Rocky quite well.

Buy me a beer and I'll tell you stories that will make your hair stand on end, lol.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:40 PM   #19
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
By that time I was carting general freight Sydney - Townsville/Cairns.
Quite a lot of the road was single lane inc parts of the Newell between Moree and Goondiwindi, most of it from Moonie to Mount Morgan and then again north of Rocky.
If scalies were operating in Rocky we'd shoot up through Kokotungo to Dingo and then up the Development Road to Mackay.

Some time after I got out of trucks I lived at Emerald for a while so got to know the road from Rocky quite well.

Buy me a beer and I'll tell you stories that will make your hair stand on end, lol.
Hello,
I wish I could shout you a beer but I'm in Perth and stopped drinking 3 years ago,still smoke the" makings "...haven't used that word for 35 yrs,always rollies, hand rubbed.
I remember Dingo pub,had the fibreglass swaggie out front from memory,or may of been Comet pub,not sure,but I never forgot that bloody road,,lol...

Regards Billy.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:21 AM   #20
LTDHO
The one and only

It's to help prevent head on collisions.
Not helped by drivers taking photos whilst driving.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2018, 07:18 AM   #21
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The major problem with "retrofitting" these spaced lines is the quality of the drive. Most of the highways in Qld have the 2 track sunken grooves in them from years and years of heavy vehicles pounding the pavement. The new lines move you over to the edge of those grooves so you're always fighting the wheel to stay straight. As usual, a simple, good idea stuffed up from poor planning.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2018, 10:21 AM   #22
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
The major problem with "retrofitting" these spaced lines is the quality of the drive. Most of the highways in Qld have the 2 track sunken grooves in them from years and years of heavy vehicles pounding the pavement. The new lines move you over to the edge of those grooves so you're always fighting the wheel to stay straight. As usual, a simple, good idea stuffed up from poor planning.
Hello,
If you in or near Sydney take a drive up the BlueMountains,at the bottom ( Emu Plains ) up to The RAAF base just before Glenbrook the left hand lane up the hill is just a series of deep ruts every few metres from the trucks changing gears, its all probably changed now,probably put a new 4 lane hwy through!

Cheers Billy.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #23
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
It's to help prevent head on collisions.
Not helped by drivers taking photos whilst driving.
No need to panic, I survived taking the couple of photos without even getting close to having a head on. Thank goodness the extra wide lines were there otherwise I wouldn't have been here to post up those pics

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2018, 10:45 AM   #24
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
No need to panic, I survived taking the couple of photos without even getting close to having a head on. Thank goodness the extra wide lines were there otherwise I wouldn't have been here to post up those pics
Hello,
I love sarcasm,especially when the portion is generous!.lol.

Regards Billy.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:58 AM   #25
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

I support the idea.

When caravans are hogging the centre line it is very hard to see past them without showing your nose over the centre line.

So you continually take a peek and move back over, and repeat.

That double centre line makes it easy to see the road ahead.

But I have other problems.

My eyesight is not like it used to be because I have double vision, mild cataracts and cars in the distance now appear as blobs whereas I used to be able to recognise the type and brand of vehicle, dark coloured cars and shade on the road all contribute to making it difficult to sort out cars from trees and other stuff in the distance.

I get by with the help of those yellow road signs that tell me a bend is coming up and now the double centre lines help me to see a straight section of road.

I tow my overweight caravan at 80 kms/hr to save fuel and when I see the yellow signs I slow down to 60 because I can't see the actual advisory numbers. Then as I see the double lines in the distance I speed up to 100.

People are very friendly on the roads these days, many people I don't even know toot me when they go past.

I love being retired.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #26
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WTF....
I have been driving like this for years now trying to stay within the lane.
Do you know how hard it is to stay up on two wheels like this for km after km.
Thanks all for the info. At least it will save me money on worn sidewalls.

CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2018, 09:52 PM   #27
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's so people who cross the centre line on every right turn can still cross it and feel like they are getting to their destination quicker while oncoming traffic are less concerned about head ons.

If you cross the centre line on every right hand bend, please reevaluate your entire life. Cheers.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post