Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-01-2018, 12:27 PM   #31
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Default Re: Stinger in the wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
If the Stinger goes harder,probably handles better,and uses less fuel to do it,why would you waste money on a Mustang.We can presume that the Kia will be better built than the Ford,and comes with a better warranty
When the 2018 Mustang lands here with the 10-speed auto, it will annihilate the Stinger GT... my feeling is car reviewers won't even bother comparing them.

It's already covering the quarter mile in 12sec flat @ 190kph

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #32
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
If the Stinger goes harder,probably handles better,and uses less fuel to do it,why would you waste money on a Mustang.We can presume that the Kia will be better built than the Ford,and comes with a better warranty
Stinger and Mustang are really two different markets with some overlap.
One is a four door GT hatch the other is a 2 door coupe.
Old 22-01-2018, 01:37 PM   #33
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
A Mustang will have better resale value and street cred though.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2018, 02:06 PM   #34
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mustang vs stinger, one is legendary with a long history, the other is known for making cheap korean rubbish. Its going to take a long time to get past that no matter how good
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #35
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
...and blow the ever loving doors off the Stinger.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #36
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The amount of mustangs that will be for sale say over the next 2 years will basically make them worth **** all so I wouldn't say really say better resale value, plus your forgetting the 7 year warranty etc. And the fact that not everyone will want a stinger so there will be heaps fewer,
meaning prices should be higher come resale. I'm not rubbishing mustangs nor am I sticking up for the stinger, just my thoughts.

Edit. Mustangs are a very nice car but there going to become one where every man and his dog has one and when they brag to others I have a mustang, everyone will be like meh, nothing special, hell they already have that feeling. Bring the camaro challenger etc to Australia and that feeling should disappear.
xr6-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2018, 03:39 PM   #37
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm already seeing more Mustangs than Commodores around my area.
They'll become the next bogan burnout bus in 10 years time.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2018, 03:50 PM   #38
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrex
Check out Jonny Tig on facebook.
Intake, intercooler and exhaust already
Is there a tuning device to tune it with?

Also first time I have noticed the way the rear lights bend around the sides. Looks terrible.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-01-2018, 04:05 PM   #39
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

A work associate went for a test drive in a Stinger last weekend, was very impressed with all the creature comforts and electronics it offered.
He walked away thinking, “there is nothing I can think of that is not included in features, or more you could want for the pricepoint”

However, he said there is currently a 6 month waiting list from date of order, only demo models at the dealers.
Old 22-01-2018, 04:25 PM   #40
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
Mustang vs stinger, one is legendary with a long history, the other is known for making cheap korean rubbish. Its going to take a long time to get past that no matter how good
The Korean motor industry has come a long way in the last 15-20 years.I remember when the public rubbished the early Excel,s saying,couple of years and in the bin,well that didn,t happen.Same thing was said about Japanese cars 50 years ago,now Japanese cars are as good if not better built than the top Euro brands,and are more reliable.Really American cars aren,t all that well built when one looks at finish and panel fitment etc
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2018, 04:57 PM   #41
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
The Korean motor industry has come a long way in the last 15-20 years.I remember when the public rubbished the early Excel,s saying,couple of years and in the bin,well that didn,t happen.Same thing was said about Japanese cars 50 years ago,now Japanese cars are as good if not better built than the top Euro brands,and are more reliable.Really American cars aren,t all that well built when one looks at finish and panel fitment etc
About right overall.
The younger Gen wouldn't know what Jap cars were like when first hit our market - but as mentioned improved sooner rather than later.
Koreans have done the same.
I'm no big Stinger fan nor Mustang tbh but if comparing QC there really is the Korean over the Yanky product hands down incl 7yr WTY.
I stopped and looked at the same blue coloured Stinger parked near my daughters school when picking her up.
Nice blue, looks ok overall for what it is.
Can't judge it entirely without sitting in it and drive it when I do.
Whoever gets one good luck to them, at least it won't suffer many QC issues.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #42
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It took the Japs about 25 years to get their quality (and durability, particularly interior materials) right - from the 60s to the mid/late 80s.

It took the Koreans about 19 years (based on Hyundai's intro to Oz, to when they hit the turning point with the i30 - although it could be argued they gained a major leap forward with the X3 Excel in early '95)

Wonder how long it will take the Chinese?
Old 22-01-2018, 06:43 PM   #43
Swordie

I saw two yesterday.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2018, 07:09 PM   #44
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Sydney is swimming in Stingers, I'm seeing them very frequently now, they're definitely a distinctive thing on the road. Pity the tow rating is 600-800kg shy of Falcon/Commodore, makes it hard to justify getting one if I can't slap a tow bar on and do 'stuff' with it.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2018, 08:01 PM   #45
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

imagine in 2000 if you told me there'd be a thread on here about korean trash. we didnt gop to war with them for nothing. ***hangs head in shame***
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2018, 08:15 PM   #46
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ||| View Post
imagine in 2000 if you told me there'd be a thread on here about korean trash. we didnt gop to war with them for nothing. ***hangs head in shame***
So how far back should we take the boycott of cars or parts from countries that Australia has had conflict with? Are German, Japanese, Italian cars okay or still too soon?
Ross 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2018, 08:20 PM   #47
Sleek the Elite

I like pulling up next to them at traffic lights & revving the engine loudly.

When they rev theirs, I put my hand up to my ear like I can't hear anything.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2018, 08:23 PM   #48
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Other than your post being way off topic I don't think that 'we' were at war with Sth Korea.
Old 22-01-2018, 08:24 PM   #49
ScotchanDry
Family XR8s in Grey

Quote:
We were never at War with South Korea. North Korea invaded south Korea to attempt to unite under communist rule in the 1950s.The Americans went in to sort them out and as usual We followed. South Korea is democracy and North Korea runs a communistic Dictatorship and possibly will be that way for a long time to come
ScotchanDry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2018, 08:56 PM   #50
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
It took the Japs about 25 years to get their quality (and durability, particularly interior materials) right - from the 60s to the mid/late 80s.
back in '70's my dad had the Honda car agency in CHCH NZ, firstly N360s, then Civics,
when New Zealand Motor Corporation got a licence to assemble Civics, we were selling 3/4 year S/H Civics for more than brand new and had clients waiting for Japanese built ones. NZ motor corp had them sitting around....all due to quality control or lack there of in NZ.
Old 22-01-2018, 09:58 PM   #51
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
I remember when the public rubbished the early Excel,s saying,couple of years and in the bin,well that didn,t happen.
Umm. I think it did happen. Most hyundai excels have been turned into scrap metal. They were everywhere in the late 90s, with their sharp 12,990 drive away price tag, atrocious crash safety and terrible reliability. The occasional ones still puttering along today are like those cheap no brand chinese toys or appliances that keep going and going way past their use by date.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2018, 10:22 PM   #52
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What do Porsche Lexus Toyota Hyundai and Kia have in common ?

they're all at the top of the JD Powers quality and reliability surveys done in the USA...

This is THE bench mark all serious car companies use.

http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...lity-study-iqs
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2018, 11:51 PM   #53
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I remember when the public rubbished the early Excel,s saying,couple of years and in the bin,well that didn,t happen.
The first generation Excels (late 80s) were trash within a few years. Even the X2 models barely made it past the millennium. They were probably worse than Great Wall's first efforts here, when it came to quality, fit & finish etc. The plastic door mirrors went chalky within 12 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Umm. I think it did happen. Most hyundai excels have been turned into scrap metal. They were everywhere in the late 90s, with their sharp 12,990 drive away price tag, atrocious crash safety and terrible reliability. The occasional ones still puttering along today are like those cheap no brand chinese toys or appliances that keep going and going way past their use by date.
The same could be said for any 1995 model car still on the road today. When was the last time you saw an EF? Or a VS Commodore? What did they look like? What about a '95 Camry or Corolla? A '95 Magna? Most of them have gone for scrap too.

Unless it's something that's been looked after & cherished by the owner, any other 1995 model car is just as bad as the neglected mid-90s X3 excels still getting down to centrelink & back. The fact they're still going is a testament to the improvements the Koreans made in the early years.
Old 23-01-2018, 06:46 AM   #54
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Tell that to the dealerships and private sale columns filled with excess cancelled orders and unwanted vehicles after the 2 star safety rating.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2018, 08:12 AM   #55
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Tell that to the dealerships and private sale columns filled with excess cancelled orders and unwanted vehicles after the 2 star safety rating.
No Mustang made in over 50 years ever had higher than a 2 star safety rating by today’s standards.... That never stopped it becoming the world’s greatest selling sports car of all time.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2018, 08:15 AM   #56
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Well if your Mustang isn't trying to kill you, is it really a Mustang? Not sure where resale is going, but they will always have more cred, if that kind of thing matters to you.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #57
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

The base model Stinger only has a 3 star rating.

I honestly don't know if it truly reflects the safety of either car or the failure of the ANCAP rating system.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2018, 08:28 AM   #58
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

I am still waiting on the worlds safest motorcycle advanced by Joan Claybrook that was so safe, no one could ride it.

http://www.profbobsfunwithhistorical...motorycle.html

There, you will be safe, even if you need to die proving it.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2018, 09:20 AM   #59
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It sounds like the population is divided and a mustang v stinger is incomparable. If you want to go fast buy a stinger. If you want to go almost as fast but sound fast with street cred buy a mustang.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2018, 09:22 AM   #60
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Compare 2018 to 2018. Auto trans to auto trans.

The Stinger is at least a full second slower than an out of the box Mustang GT.
5 users like this post: