Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-09-2023, 10:08 AM   #1411
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: The Camping Thread

So, after a succesful maiden weekend away in the new van we packed up yesterday morning and headed home.
During the drive back I mentioned to the Wife that we still had our credit at Mannum from our cancellation last month and she suggested I leave the van hooked up, wash some clothes, restock the fridge and cupboards and head up for a few days.
So, I took her advice and am currently camped on the banks of the mighty Murray for the week.

The park was extensively damaged during the floods and is still in need of work along the river front, not enough to keep people away, its probably half full.
The entire town was hit hard and is still in recovery mode, so the money spent supporting them is a good thing and the locals seem happy to have us.

If you do get out this way and stay at the park, go easy on the girl in the office, she's doing the work of 3 people currently and looked stressed out when I arrived, very friendly though.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2023, 10:40 AM   #1412
prydey
Rob

We're off to halls gap in October. Have had credit there since 2019, booked twice since but things keep getting in the way forcing us to cancel (covid, back surgery...)

Finally the planets seemed to have aligned and so heading back over next school holidays.

Since my back is still giving me grief, and having got quite used to just doing short days during our recent holiday to Uluru, we've decided to do the same again and just travel to around Bordertown before stopping overnight. It's a much more relaxed style of travelling and gives the opportunity to have a bit of a look around at places you wouldn't normally explore.
Old 11-10-2023, 09:43 PM   #1413
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
We're off to halls gap in October. Have had credit there since 2019, booked twice since but things keep getting in the way forcing us to cancel (covid, back surgery...)

Finally the planets seemed to have aligned and so heading back over next school holidays.

Since my back is still giving me grief, and having got quite used to just doing short days during our recent holiday to Uluru, we've decided to do the same again and just travel to around Bordertown before stopping overnight. It's a much more relaxed style of travelling and gives the opportunity to have a bit of a look around at places you wouldn't normally explore.
Had to change plans slightly. We originally had planned to holiday last week however the halls gap forecast was not great, and a work colleague was still off work following a motor bike accident, so postponing a week worked out well for all parties.

We are currently camped at Halls Gap Lakeside Tourist Park...

This is my view until Saturday

Unfortunately it looks like the weather is turning a bit rubbish again from tomorrow but at least today was perfect and we were able to wander around the zoo.
Old 08-12-2023, 01:05 PM   #1414
prydey
Rob

For those in SA, mambray creek campground in Mt remarkable NP is finally opened again.

We are booked in there for Anzac weekend. Easter is at end of march next year so thought it could be a bit warm so decided for the later time.

Might go for a day trip over xmas to check out what they've done. Haven't been there for years but one of our favourite spots. Unfortunately the NP keep jacking the prices up so it's not overly great value any more.

I booked a small site @ $31/night (no power). Larger sites, generally suitable for 2 families are $44/night!
Old 26-12-2023, 08:38 PM   #1415
prydey
Rob

Not really camping but I'll post it in here anyway.

Went on a spur of the moment road trip to Dubbo zoo and back over the last 4 days. All off the back of a tongue in cheek comment by my daughter about going to visit after I mentioned the new lion cubs were now out in the enclosure. That was last Tuesday. By Thursday the joking suggestion had become reality. We have a young kitten so my wife was happy to stay home and so just myself and 15yr old daughter went. A great father/daughter xmas weekend!

Murrayville in the mallee... An old piece of artwork that unfortunately has seen better days. It used to say 'no ghosts here only good spirits'!

Stormy skies at Balranald BP. Had rain off and on most of the rest of the day, often heavy.

Rain paused long enough for a quick pic and leg stretch at Weethalle

Bushman's motel at Parkes. Stayed here a couple of times now. Always well presented and modern bathrooms. Only $140/night so good value as far as motels go. Presents as good as much dearer places

One of the reasons for the trip. I had initially baulked at the cost but didn't care after we got to the zoo. We love animals, especially these guys. They prance around like they know they're the king of the jungle.

Dubbo accommodation. Tallarook Motor Inn. My only regret for the trip. Trying to keep the costs down so booked on price. The room was actually nice enough and had been semi updated not long ago. Had full size fridge, comfy beds and modern bathroom... But just the vibe of the place will mean I won't go back. $150/night and it did the job so not that unhappy.

Big4 caravan Park at Hay on the way home. I'm a member so stayed in deluxe cabin for $126/night. Never been in one before so thought it was pretty good for an overnight stop.

A couple more pics of the boss from my daughters phone. Better camera than my budget one.

Left Adelaide Saturday morning. Stayed at Parkes that night. Big first day but that's the norm for us. Drove to Dubbo next morning for breakfast then in to the zoo for the day. Stayed overnight at Dubbo then back to the zoo Monday. Left the zoo around lunchtime and drove back to Hay for the night. Got home today around 3pm.

I love road trips, as does my daughter so we both had such a good weekend. We are zoo SA members which includes Dubbo zoo (and various others).
Old 26-12-2023, 11:55 PM   #1416
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

⁵That is awesome in many ways....great stuff.
We are roadtripping right now and conincidentally close to a suburb that brought back some memories of my daughter and I driving over to Eastern burbs of Melbourne back in 2010 (so she would have been 14).
Drove over and back from Adel to look at a car, about 20 hours all up...not quite the same adventure but was great fun, we still talk about it.
(Had a close call, needing to hit dirt at speed to avoid a truck overtaking another on a curve, we had to go way wide, oh and it was well dark/headlight time, yikes)
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-12-2023, 07:56 AM   #1417
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Got stuck at a place called Kurrimine Beach in FNQ for four nights when the cyclone and rain depression hit last week. Top spot , very laid back. Just got to keep an eye out for the big lizards.....
5 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2023, 10:15 PM   #1418
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Not really camping but I'll post it in here anyway.

Went on a spur of the moment road trip to Dubbo zoo and back over the last 4 days. All off the back of a tongue in cheek comment by my daughter about going to visit after I mentioned the new lion cubs were now out in the enclosure. That was last Tuesday. By Thursday the joking suggestion had become reality. We have a young kitten so my wife was happy to stay home and so just myself and 15yr old daughter went. A great father/daughter xmas weekend!

Murrayville in the mallee... An old piece of artwork that unfortunately has seen better days. It used to say 'no ghosts here only good spirits'!

Stormy skies at Balranald BP. Had rain off and on most of the rest of the day, often heavy.

Rain paused long enough for a quick pic and leg stretch at Weethalle

Bushman's motel at Parkes. Stayed here a couple of times now. Always well presented and modern bathrooms. Only $140/night so good value as far as motels go. Presents as good as much dearer places

One of the reasons for the trip. I had initially baulked at the cost but didn't care after we got to the zoo. We love animals, especially these guys. They prance around like they know they're the king of the jungle.

Dubbo accommodation. Tallarook Motor Inn. My only regret for the trip. Trying to keep the costs down so booked on price. The room was actually nice enough and had been semi updated not long ago. Had full size fridge, comfy beds and modern bathroom... But just the vibe of the place will mean I won't go back. $150/night and it did the job so not that unhappy.

Big4 caravan Park at Hay on the way home. I'm a member so stayed in deluxe cabin for $126/night. Never been in one before so thought it was pretty good for an overnight stop.

A couple more pics of the boss from my daughters phone. Better camera than my budget one.

Left Adelaide Saturday morning. Stayed at Parkes that night. Big first day but that's the norm for us. Drove to Dubbo next morning for breakfast then in to the zoo for the day. Stayed overnight at Dubbo then back to the zoo Monday. Left the zoo around lunchtime and drove back to Hay for the night. Got home today around 3pm.

I love road trips, as does my daughter so we both had such a good weekend. We are zoo SA members which includes Dubbo zoo (and various others).
Nice Rob, and heres me thinking Monarto Zoo is far enough..lol
Speaking of Monarto, do they provide guided bus tours through Dubbo Zoo like Monarto?
Reason I ask is I often take school groups to Monarto and I drive them around in our coaches, its pretty cool.
On one trip I had one of our older coaches that had damage to the panel at the bottom of the door...as in almost peeled right off.
Anyway, we're in the lion enclosure looking at a male and 3 juveniles when it dawned on me that the damaged door would make easy access for hungry lions.
So we're sitting there watching these lions when all of a sudden the male gets up and heads towards us with one of the juveniles, they cross the track infront of us and just as the juvenile is in the middle of the track the male turns and eyeballs him, he drops on the spot...right infront of me, im talking feet not meters.
The guide is busy telling the kids how exciting it is and I look in my left mirror to see the other two juveniles running up the side of the coach towards the damaged door.
At this point I fair dinkum **** myself and we were in the trap so I tell the guide of my concerns and you could tell instantly that he recognised the gravity of our situation.
He tells me to gun it, I said I cant theres a lion on the track infront, he says go or it'll be on your lap in a few seconds.
So I reef hard left and nail it up the verge and gun it for the exit gates.
As you'd know its a triple gate plus the wheel wash and it usually takes a while to get through it all but I reckon we set a record that day..
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2023, 10:24 PM   #1419
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Nice Rob, and heres me thinking Monarto Zoo is far enough..lol
Speaking of Monarto, do they provide guided bus tours through Dubbo Zoo like Monarto?
No, Dubbo is self drive.