Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 29-04-2015, 11:48 PM   #451
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: My FGX XR8 denied warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Compare a FGX time slip with an XR6T timeslip from a diffent day / track means the FGX is not tuned.....WOW...

LOL

You see Stefan, there was enough information in his posts (on the other thread) and on the portion of the time slip that was shown, to give me just two possible dates that the car apparently went down the track, both Wednesday nights.
Armed with that, I looked up historical weather data for those dates and apparently overall air conditions on both nights were similar to what I had. ie similarly power friendly.

I know the SAE corrections very well and it's clear to me that he would have had a similar relative power percentage figure to what I had and the other 3 cars weren't too different.
Note too that I was concentrating on rolling acceleration and half track/end speeds, because these won't be effected much by the quality of a cars launch.

Perhaps like me you could have thought a bit more before your WOW post.

Last edited by 2242100; 30-04-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 30-04-2015, 12:06 AM   #452
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I haven't read this whole thread but was the car bounced off the rev limiter in a burnout before racing? I'm not familiar with Ford's software but there is a chance they can view that through the scan tool. If so then that would be enough to void warranty.
Old 30-04-2015, 12:14 AM   #453
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
I haven't read this whole thread but was the car bounced off the rev limiter in a burnout before racing? I'm not familiar with Ford's software but there is a chance they can view that through the scan tool. If so then that would be enough to void warranty.
I think you need to keep in mind that the limiter is there to stop an engine being damaged. Also it would be very easy with a fast car like an XR8 to accidentally hit the limiter in 1st gear when driving manually. I guess repeatedly hitting the limiter over a long period wouldn't look good though.
This user likes this post:
Old 30-04-2015, 12:19 AM   #454
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Sorry to hear of your woes Kempy. I hope you get an amicable fix for your car. I saw lots of this years ago when I had my WRX. Subaru was denying warranty left, right and centre.

When I posted the original thread I did not know it was you. I'm unsure as to why that thread got locked seeing your mrs posted up on Facebook about it which is probably more "public domain" than right here on this forum. If she didn't want people to know, she wouldn't have posted it on Facebook right? Anyways, I do hope you get it sorted somehow.
Old 30-04-2015, 12:35 AM   #455
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2242100 View Post
I guess repeatedly hitting the limiter over a long period wouldn't look good though.
Define long.

IIRC, years ago, when Jag were developing their V8, one of the reliability tests was to run the engine at redline for 12hours continuously, or some similarly ridiculous figure.

One burnout and/or a drag is enough to lunch a Miami? Maybe Ford need to outsource R&D.... no one take offence, that comment is firmly tongue in cheek :P

Seriously though, these cars are marketed by way of reviews, and those reviews involve track work and drags. If its ok to spruik your performance credentials to sell the car, its a bit hypocritical to deny an owner 'fair usage' ... and we're not talking flogging it day in day out. But a one off drag should surely not push the car beyond its operating window?
2 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2015, 01:11 AM   #456
Super Roo 1970
Windsor=Screamer

Ford can get a very comprehensive readout from the PCM on all events that have taken place with these cars. If deemed necessary the PCM's are removed and sent to Ford to be downloaded, read and analyzed properly.
They can download a lot more information than just a flash count. Iv seen a few, they go into a lot of detail for any recorded events, max engine speeds, trans shift at what rpms just to name 2 of many other stats it records.

This may be the next step to what Ford will do, do a diagnosis on the mechanical fault while sending off the PCM for a full readout.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2015, 08:00 AM   #457
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had my car picked up from the Mallala track by FPV roadside assistance.
Had semi slicks on, gerry cans in the back, helmet etc.
Car was fixed under warranty.
Ended up being timing chain tensioner & a guide. Chain skipped a cog or two.
My track day was not a" timed event" tho...
Old 30-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #458
te5000

I know of a BA XR8 that had "Extras", exhaust, CAI and tune, done by a ford dealer. Sold with a warranty as normal. They were using this car as a demo when I drove it.
Some guy bought it then moved away to QLD, later that year the tranny died, from the feedback I received from the original dealer the poor bloke had hells own trouble getting the tranny repaired / replaced under warranty.
Not exactly sure but think he ended up having a part payment deal done with the original dealer
Old 30-04-2015, 10:46 AM   #459
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Roo 1970 View Post
Ford can get a very comprehensive readout from the PCM on all events that have taken place with these cars. If deemed necessary the PCM's are removed and sent to Ford to be downloaded, read and analyzed properly.
They can download a lot more information than just a flash count. Iv seen a few, they go into a lot of detail for any recorded events, max engine speeds, trans shift at what rpms just to name 2 of many other stats it records.

This may be the next step to what Ford will do, do a diagnosis on the mechanical fault while sending off the PCM for a full readout.
Fine, although what if all that data is stored on the spare PCM that's been modified, and the factory PCM is reinstalled for warranty claims?
Old 30-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #460
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Roo 1970 View Post

That's interesting and I guess not surprising, but I'm wondering how far they can go back, how many engine cycles and what happens if the battery is disconnected.

Does anyone know?
Old 30-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #461
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2242100 View Post
That's interesting and I guess not surprising, but I'm wondering how far they can go back, how many engine cycles and what happens if the battery is disconnected.

Does anyone know?
One would assume todays or even ECUs in the last 10 years or so would have decent capabilities to keep things stored in memory that doesn't get reset when you disconnect the battery.

We're not talking EEC-V here
Old 30-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #462
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
One would assume todays or even ECUs in the last 10 years or so would have decent capabilities to keep things stored in memory that doesn't get reset when you disconnect the battery.

We're not talking EEC-V here
It holds the data logging. Ford (not the dealers) are the only ones that can read it IIRC....they're also the only ones that can rid of the flags.
Old 30-04-2015, 11:41 AM   #463
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde View Post
Fine, although what if all that data is stored on the spare PCM that's been modified, and the factory PCM is reinstalled for warranty claims?
You would assume there would be an obvious disparity between the total KM of recorder data and the KM traveled on the dash. Granted the dash could be changed at the same time but at what stage have you spent more time and money than a potential warranty claim? Remember most that are going to the expense of tuning are also fitting supporting mods (exhaust, intake etc and in the case of a 335 there would be more model specific upgrades).

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Old 30-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #464
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Does the PCM store KLM travelled data ?

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 30-04-2015, 01:08 PM   #465
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
If it doesn't you'll find that the sat nav system holds some handy information in the background such as top speed travelled.
Old 30-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #466
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo77 View Post
If it doesn't you'll find that the sat nav system holds some handy information in the background such as top speed travelled.
Ahh .. now we are touching on a mindset change for modern car lovers. All the information your car is logging about you which potentially - short of a fire which destroyed all the electronics - may be almost permanently kept in the system (or also uploaded via the very convenient internet link cars often now have too)

I haven't bothered to investigate, but I find it hard to believe that cars won't already have permanent, long-term, solid-state storage from an array of sensor inputs - SatNav, ABS, ESC, ECU, etc - that can effectively "flight record" a vehicle to be replayed to manufacturer (and/or authorities) .... all of it encrypted so that it can't be messed with by those without the private key (i.e. the factory).

People getting around this by mucking with the sensor inputs (eg. reflashing) probably make their presence obvious by the absence of information.

All speculation, but I suspect it's here/coming ..
Old 30-04-2015, 01:38 PM   #467
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
I haven't bothered to investigate, but I find it hard to believe that cars won't already have permanent, long-term, solid-state storage from an array of sensor inputs - SatNav, ABS, ESC, ECU, etc - that can effectively "flight record" a vehicle to be replayed to manufacturer (and/or authorities) .... all of it encrypted so that it can't be messed with by those without the private key (i.e. the factory).
Has already happened here in NZ, the Police used the stored data as evidence to convict a HSV driver who cleaned up an innocent motorist.
Old 30-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #468
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Would there not then be a gap in the date log?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 30-04-2015, 01:58 PM   #469
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo77 View Post

I recall a story in the last 3 years or so of a NSW HWP officer being counselled/sacked/disciplined - whatever ,for travelling at an excessive speed on the F6 whilst not being involved in a pursuit or job.
They retrieved data from the car but I don't know if it was GMH fitted gear ie BCM or NSWPOL fitted accessories.
Old 30-04-2015, 02:13 PM   #470
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Are you suggesting the owner has two PCMs? I'm pretty sure that would come up as well, I think a PCM is VIN locked to the car it was in

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 30-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #471
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Are you suggesting the owner has two PCMs? I'm pretty sure that would come up as well, I think a PCM is VIN locked to the car it was in
Most certainly not, in no way am I suggesting this is the case.

All I'm saying is if Ford are looking at the PCM to determine whether it has been flash or modified, and I've been using another PCM which I've been modifying, they've no way of telling what's gone on.

I'm not sure if there is a date/time stamp on the PCM, neither to I know whether there is a trip counter. Maybe the BCM will hold this info.
Old 30-04-2015, 03:03 PM   #472
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry but I've read all of the booklets and owners manual that came with my new F6 and I'm struggling to find the part where it states that if I hit the rev limit I void my warranty, maybe I'm blind but I can't see it.
Old 30-04-2015, 04:05 PM   #473
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
Sorry but I've read all of the booklets and owners manual that came with my new F6 and I'm struggling to find the part where it states that if I hit the rev limit I void my warranty, maybe I'm blind but I can't see it.
I haven't read a Falcon owners manual lately so I cant comment on that. For my own car which is a Mitsubishi the manual says dont rev the engine into the red zone (so beyond the red line) as it can cause engine damage. Warranty is voided for inappropriate use and I'm guessing that would cover over revving. I know that engines can withstand being revved to the cut out but manufacturers dont really like you testing it out.
Old 30-04-2015, 04:15 PM   #474
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
That's a bit of a sus question to ask Bluey GT. I'd be a bit cautious about buying a "low km" car off you
Old 30-04-2015, 04:45 PM   #475
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Did it get picked up, and did they give you a loan car this time
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
Old 30-04-2015, 04:45 PM   #476
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I haven't read a Falcon owners manual lately so I cant comment on that. For my own car which is a Mitsubishi the manual says dont rev the engine into the red zone (so beyond the red line) as it can cause engine damage. Warranty is voided for inappropriate use and I'm guessing that would cover over revving. I know that engines can withstand being revved to the cut out but manufacturers dont really like you testing it out.
Hands up who when driving a manual around a favoured bend in a "spirited" fashion has kept the boot in, hands on the steering wheel doing the yawing to extract all from the road, and the engine bounces off the limiter while you for that moment are unable to change gears cause your hands are engaged keeping the car on the road.

The XR8 is a sedan marketed as the sporting model. I cannot accept that Ford would argue that driving the vehicle in a spirited fashion and having the revs bounce off the limiter every once in a while is misuse such as to deny warranty.

Huh- when I took an XR8 auto in auto for a test run, I struggled when manually changing gears to not hit the limiter, given how fast it revs out-really catches one out.

All these discussions are in a vacuum as regards Ford's position. My suspicion is that Ford has some evidence which leads them to believe that the OPs car was custom flashed with a more aggressive tune, and as to the precise reasoning why they think that (ie PCM data on percentage throttle openings etc etc we will have to wait and see with time if that comes out).

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 30-04-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 30-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #477
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

It’s not like the old days when you over revved an engine it fell into a deep dark hole.

Today’s electronics have a rev limiter for a reason, to protect the engine, if it’s doing its job you should be able to bounce off it all day without damage.

If it’s doesn’t protect the engine then the parameters are set wrong.

I would think Ford and all manufacturers would do what they are known for, they’d be over cautious and the rev limiter settings would be given plenty of scope to react before any damage can occur.
4 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #478
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Hands up who when driving a manual around a favoured bend in a "spirited" fashion has kept the boot in, hands on the steering wheel doing the yawing to extract all from the road, and the engine bounces off the limiter while you for that moment are unable to change gears cause your hands are engaged keeping the car on the road.

The XR8 is a sedan marketed as the sporting model. I cannot accept that Ford would argue that driving the vehicle in a spirited fashion and having the revs bounce off the limiter every once in a while is misuse such as to deny warranty.

Huh- when I took an XR8 auto in auto for a test run, I struggled when manually changing gears to not hit the limiter, given how fast it revs out-really catches one out.

All these discussions are in a vacuum as regards Ford's position. My suspicion is that Ford has some evidence which leads them to believe that the OPs car was custom flashed with a more aggressive tune, and as to the precise reasoning why they think that (ie PCM data on percentage throttle openings etc etc we will have to wait and see with time if that comes out).
You can hit the limiter in a 6 speed auto. You won't lose your drive train warranty hitting the limiter. As has been discussed earlier the XR8 is only at 60% throttle and not 100% as what is being said this XR8 was at.
Old 30-04-2015, 05:01 PM   #479
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Its really no different to the performance companies on here that offer big horse power upgrade packages with full warranty*. *warranty void if raced. I argued that you shouldn't be advertising it with warranty if you cant use the product with out voiding it.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #480
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.8 View Post
That's a bit of a sus question to ask Bluey GT. I'd be a bit cautious about buying a "low km" car off you
Legitimate question.
Reason I ask is if the PCM is flash tuned , does it keep certain parameters intact. Example would be if car is continually tuned and it somehow wipes certain data that doesn't match with ODOMETER reading or ABS computer readings etc, then that could be one way that they could also ascertain if ECU was tampered with in this case.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Closed Thread